General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Favorite tire for on and off road???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite tire for on and off road???

Well... I have tried a few sets of tires... I had a set of BFG ATs... they are a great tire and I recomend them all the time... too tame for me... I then had a set of Interco Trxus MTs.... they were awsome!!!! great on road.... great off road.... should never have sold them.... now I have a set of bias Swampers.... great off road tire... amazing... but not a happy on road tire...

Out of the 3 off road tires I have run I have to say Inerco Trxus MTs have been my favorite... provide a happy medium...

What tires have you guys ran, liked, not liked?? I would love to hear what you guys have ran and thought of them... what will your next tire be???

I am thinking my next tire will be a 33/11.50R16 Nitto mud grappler on the runner... dunno yet though....
Old 01-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Contributing Member

goodyear MT/R. i've been happy with it on and offroad. lots of people here like it too.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
most popular dual use tires here seem to be:

revo a/t
goodyear or bfg mtr or ats
nitto grapplers

there are so many varied opinions on these tires, you definitely have to read them (gentle way of saying...yup, search)

bob
Old 01-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yokohama Geolander M/T's. Been very please on and offroad with these.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:02 AM

Maxxis Buckshots... Hands down. Cheap... good off-road... good on-road... Cheap...
Old 01-04-2006, 05:17 AM

MTR's will give you maximum off road performace with good on road compared to Revos or ATs, remember they are not a mud tire though. BFG Muds will wear better than MTRs, tread compound is not as soft, they work better in mud, but MTRs have stronger sidewall and the softer compound makes a big difference off road.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:26 AM

As frustrating as some of the issues I have had with my BFG AT's have been I will have to admit they do pretty well in a wide variety of terrain, and I have never had any of the hydroplaning issues some others have reported. For my next set I am torn between trying the Goodyear MTR's or the Nitto's
Old 01-04-2006, 05:49 AM

Firestone Destination MTs - haven't had a single problem with them, they have gone anywhere I point them, and people I wheel with (who are used to swampers) are constantly impressed by them. Rubber compound is a bit soft, which means great traction but only decent treadwear.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Since I got my truck, I started with Mastercraft Courser HTR tires. They were street treads, but I beat the heck out of that set of tires in rocks, mud, and pretty much everything else you can think of. I even drove along the lakeshore while the water was low. They served me good as far as tough treads and sidewalls. Traction was lacking, but they sold me to anything Cooper Tire makes. I have the Mastercraft MT's now and they're like the others, with 100% better traction, and they're quiter than Goodyear MTRs and Firestone MTs on the road. 5 months with them and I've got no complaints.

I've kept tabs on some friends luck with tires as well.

On a Cherokee, my friend had Bridgestone Duelers and got only 10K before they were dead, he got another set after that. They're the HT not ATs but I am not impressed and I can't say I would put much faith in Bridgestone.

Another friend has a YJ and had Firestone MTs first, they were loud and rough, but they had some of the best traction I've ever seen. He's got MTRs now, and I really like them, but they've been wearing out a little fast for me, and not as much traction as the Firestones.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
mt/r's long wearing and great offroad traction!
Old 01-04-2006, 06:24 AM

Yokohama Geolander M/T+
I love them.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry... this is not a " tell me what tire to go get " forum.... this is just a what are you running?? how you like them....

I am not looking for an answer, I am just looking to see what people are running....
Old 01-04-2006, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calg3
As frustrating as some of the issues I have had with my BFG AT's
What issues are those? Some people act like God made the BFGs. IMO they are slightly overated and the two sets I drove on were just a poor choice for a tire on a daily driver.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

I'm also running Interco's TrXus MT's and absolutely love them on and off road. Certainly my 31 inch OEM tires had better on road manners, but for how good the TrXus' are off road, I'm pleased with their on road performance.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Destination M/T's all the way....

Put 22000 miles on them without having to balance them, still have PLENTY of tread left, and they do great in all kinds of terrain from mud to snow to wet to dry....
Old 01-04-2006, 11:37 AM

I've been using 35" MT/R's on the '87 rock/trail rig for the past couple years. Two sets, extreme abuse, never had a problem.

Got a set of BFG M/T's on the '98 Taco - they flat out stink on a daily driver - major balance/roundness problems. Not sure why I decided to "save" $50.00 over the MT/R's

The '05 Taco has 265/57-16 MT/R's on it - had'm siped. They now have close to 13000 miles on'm and I expect they will go over 40K with no problem. They balanced well, and with the siping perform well in rain, snow, and for general trail duty. We don't beat on the '05, but it does get out on Forest Service roads and trial on a regular basis.

The MT/R's are truely a great tire for Arizona.

...but they may not be worth a plugged peso for conditions in Canada.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

cheap tires are always good if they do the job.....buckshots here.

however i would have to say theyre not as self-cleaning as id like.

i think for my next set of tires, which will be 35's, im going to give the yoko m/t's a whirl.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:57 PM

Cooper Discoverer STT's.

Lamm
Old 01-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

4X4Lamm.. how do you like them??? They are a really nice looking tire and ad thought of running them too... I know nobody running them and have heard no first had review on them.....
Old 01-04-2006, 10:33 PM

I have had them for 2 weeks now.

Pros:
-Excellent in mud, cleans well, good tread pattern
-Better than BFGs or MTRs in snow and ice due to siping
-Very tough construction
-Awsome looks
-Grippy compound
-VERY managbel street tire

Cons:
-Cost
-Heavy
-Grippy compound, wears fast I hear
-Loud (more so than my BFG ATs)
-Hard to find (at least in Canton)

Overall they are great. I have not had them wheeling a lot yet (mostly muddy fields and roads) but have drivin them in snow, ice, rain and dry pavement with no complaints.

Lamm

Last edited by 4x4Lamm; 01-04-2006 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Favorite tire for on and off road???