General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

FAST Wideband Air/Fuel Meter!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAST Wideband Air/Fuel Meter!!

FAST Wideband Air/Fuel Meter Review:

Got a chance to install my new FAST Wideband Air/Fuel Meter yesterday. This thing is great!!! If you?ve ever wondered what your actual air/fuel mix is, take a look at this awesome device. I paid $315 (shipping included) from ebay?sounds expensive?but is actually cheap insurance for your $2500 engine.

Here?s the description from the manufacturer (I?ll get into install detail later)

Stop guessing and start tuning for more horsepower!
KEEP TRACK OF GASOLINE/ALCOHOL AIR/FUEL RATIOS WITH FAST?
Proper engine tuning is essential to achieving maximum performance and avoiding costly, premature engine failure. Unfortunately, until now digital air/fuel meters have only offered single sensor measuring capability. This meant engine tuners were only able to monitor the air/fuel ratio on one side of the engine, while being left to play a guessing game with the other cylinder bank. Now there is a way to eliminate the unknown, allowing you to tune carburetor jetting and EFI air/fuel ratios with confidence and complete accuracy.
MONITOR A/F RATIOS WITH EITHER 1 OR 2 SENSORS
FAST?, the recognized leader in EFI technology, has developed an easy to use Dual Sensor Air/Fuel Meter that delivers the complete story about your engine?s tuning. Tuners now have the power to read two wide-band O2 sensors individually or average them together for super accurate readings of the engine?s true air/fuel ratio. And with its built-in methanol capability, racers who run ?wood alcohol? can tune more accurately than ever before!
MORE FEATURES THAN COMPETING METERS
Beyond the innovative dual sensor capability, the new FAST? Dual Sensor Air/Fuel Meter delivers several enhanced capabilities, in the easiest to use format of any digital air/fuel meter ever developed. One such capability is built-in data logging capability that plays back logged information on the lighted, full graphical display screen, unlike other units that require downloading to a computer. Additional standard features include outputs for external data loggers and digital gauges, and a narrow-band simulator function that allows you to feed your engine?s computer a factory signal while using the performance-oriented wide-band sensor for air/fuel measurement and adjustments.

****Install detail: I purchased the single sensor unit?knowing that I can upgrade later if I wanted to. For now, I didn?t want to go overboard until I was satisfied with the product. Since air/fuel ratio is so essential for a healthy engine, and since narrow band gauges (the ones you buy for $35 on ebay or from summit racing) are very inaccurate, I figured I might as well spend the extra money on ?cheap insurance? so that I always know what I?m doing with my engine.
Since I have a modified 22rte, it?s essential for me to know this info before increasing boost above stock levels. Even if you don?t have a turbo vehicle, you should have a device like this if you?ve bored out your cylinders, added a performance cam, higher flowing intake & exhaust, or messed with your AFM.
The install was really easy!!! Literally, all I had to do was un-screw my narrow band O2 sensor that I was already installed in my exhaust? screw in the Wideband sensor (included in the package), route the cable through the handy little rubber grommet thing under my drivers seat to the hand held Air/fuel meter. The cable is fitted with a cigarette lighter type power cable? So all I had to do was plug it into the cigarette ligher and the meter?and I?m ready to go!!
The unit also comes with analog outputs that can hook up a narrowband gauge, as well as route a signal to your ECU (if your ECU needs data from the o2 sensor for correct operation). I thought I was going to have to send the Analog signal to my ECU, but after starting my truck and driving around a little bit, I realized that my ECU was reading very little (if anything at all) from my o2 sensor. One thing I did notice was that my idle was a bit higher, and the vehicle ran better!! Lol. I had actually adjusted my idle screw a couple months back because my idle was too low?so I?m going to adjust it back to it?s original spot today and everything should be back to normal.
I took my first test drive in a spot where I could get to Wide open throttle in each gear (for the most part)..and started the datalogging on the meter. It?s amazing!! I drove for about 10 minutes, then pulled over, and played the data back on the meter. Here?s my quick summary;
At idle, my truck is running around 12.5:1 ? 13:1
This is the same at cruising speed (while not in boost at all)
At low boost, the meter reads anywhere from 11.8:1 ? 12.5:1
At high boost, my readings range from 10.8:1 ? 11.6:1
When I take my foot all the way off the pedal and start to coast/decal, my air/fuel ratio shoots through the roof all the way to 21:1?but I think this might be normal. The guide states 14:1 ? 16:1?but I can?t figure out how I can change this aspect of my engine without some standalone ECU like Megasquirt.
End result: Aside from the high air/fuel ratio during coasting, my ratios are pefect!! Prior to getting this gauge, I had played with my AFM to enrich my fuel based on the mods I?ve done to my truck?and even though it was a guess, I guessed right!! The mods to my truck are as follows: K&N style intake.. Garret t3/t4 turbo (factory boost), Bored .030, Ported/polished, Comp Cam, Flowmaster exhaust, high flow cat. Based on these mods, I enriched my AFM by 3 clicks (which I thought might be on the conservative side?but I guess not).
Whats next? Well, since I now have accurate air/fuel data, I can install all the other turbo components I?ve already assembled, and accurately adjust my ratios to run higher boost. This week I plan on hooking up my intercooler piping (FMIC already mounted), my boost controller, BOV?and playing with higher boost. Depending on my ratios and the limits of my AFM/injectors, I might have to install the larger Cressida AFM I have aquired.. as well as the 440cc Supra Turbo injectors I have in my garage. It all depends on the first couple steps?and if my engine gets close to Fuel cut or not. I?m not planning on going over 12psi until I?m comfortable with my mods?at which point I?ll most definitely have to install the larger AFM and injectors.

More to come!!
~Shogun