General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Exporting a 4runner from the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exporting a 4runner from the U.S.

Does anyone have FIRST HAND knowledge of the duties, taxes etc.. when importing a non-US made vehicle such as a 4runner?

I live in Ont. Canada and would very much like to purchase a 2002 4runner that I found (NY dealer) as they are very hard to get here in Canada. (Sport Edition with Leather) We have the Badlands without Leather.

IF anyone can give me some solid advice etc.. It would be much appreciated.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try here, all the info, bilingual even

http://www.riv.ca/
Old 01-29-2006, 11:20 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I imported 3 personal vehicles into Canada when I moved there (and different vehicles back into the US when I moved back...) Plus while there I was in the RV business, so importing and exporting RVs was a daily part of our business.

It's easy. I was in BC, each province may have different restrictions for their residents, but the Fed part is a snap. You will need a letter from Toyota stating that there are no outstanding recalls, and it will need inspected after you get it home. Since US DOT and Transport Canada regs are (mostly) aligned, the only issue to correct is daytime running lights, since all North American speedos show both miles and kms.

As for Customs, first off - just call them or access their website. They are generally very helpful. You will need to fill out a few forms and show the bill of sale etc. There will be GST on the price, PST if your province has it. No duties, as it is used. If new, there would be no duties for a US made car, but if it's a Jpn made vehicle I believe you would then have import duties to pay.

The way it works is at the border you declare to customs that you bought the car and want to import it. You fill out the forms, pay the fees, pay the taxes and you're in. Before you register it you get it inspected.

You could also get it done through a customs broker. They get a fee, but make it easier for you.

By all means talk to Customs first, that way there are no surprises. I found Canada Customs folks to be super to work with, and US Customs folks to be generally surly and uninterested.... no further comment needed there.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
I...As for Customs, first off - just call them or access their website. They are generally very helpful. You will need to fill out a few forms and show the bill of sale etc. There will be GST on the price, PST if your province has it. No duties, as it is used. If new, there would be no duties for a US made car, but if it's a Jpn made vehicle I believe you would then have import duties to pay. ...
No Duties on used??? I was told otherwise. But this was a broker who might want his fee. Do you know if it is possible to get tax refund in US, if you're exporting the vehicle to Canada? It's not fair to pay taxes in US, export it and pay again in Canada.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

you would have to talk to ccra for exact details. there are probably forms (why not, its the gov't) to be filled out for the us side to claw back the tax paid there. be patient, we all know how our civil servants take their work so seriously.

lee