General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: Spare or no Spare?
keep the spare
18.58%
keep spare with full sized tire
48.63%
Throw the spare in the trunk?
7.10%
Who needs a spare!
25.68%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Driving with no spare?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call USAA for my fix. I do not have the right size. I have the stock spare for my 87 4runner and I need to get a 32in for it.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:17 PM

on our club runs you cant even roll with us with out a full size spare .. wich has brought up some heated debates ...but the bottom line is we go a long ways from any kind of help in some severe terrain and weather ..if you dont go prepared you might not come home ..

there is times with even the best co2 and air pumps can't reseat a tire full of mud and ice ...ever try to use a co2 bottle 30-? not much pressure there

some things should not be judged for how it looks but for the practicality of it .

the major issue is the smaller rigs using 44's or similiar and they really do have a hard time carring spares or try lifting them on the roof . but not many yota's run 44's so this should not be an issue .
Old 12-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

im also in the same situation regarding the 'diaper spare'

what about those flat-repair-in-a-can deals? are those bad for in town emergency use? I dont want to run a spare, unless i go off road...and its 'highly unlikely' that ill puncture a sidewall of a 285 MT/R anywhere this side of the highway. besides, thats what my bcaa is for.

and when i do go off road, the spare will either be in the trunk or on the roof...

any thoughts on these cans?

thanks

*knocks on wood* just to make sure i dont jinx myself
Old 12-26-2005, 05:37 PM

- when u go wheelin, AAA can not make it out to where you are so i would carry one on top...
- as a daily driver I take it off. who needs the weight and who is going to slice there tire? if you get a flat its usually something that fix a flat can do the job and get you home to that spare...or just have AAA lend a hand...
Old 12-26-2005, 05:55 PM

LMAO... I hate spares but they are neccessary, even just even to get off the trail so you aren't having to finance your tow bill. But I wouldn't drive around on a spare that is a different size on the front or the rear. I've seen just the slightest differences in tires ruin diffs. The front diff can be ruined also if you have ADD... so anyhow, yeah
Old 12-27-2005, 05:44 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with the above for our trucks - need a spare close in diameter (not necessarily width) to avoid damage. So I just forked over the $$$ to get a 33 for a spare when I have a perfectly unused 31. Maybe not totally necessary now, but when I do a locker or TruTrac it will be.

I will actually probably carry both when wheeling, just in case (one underneath, one in the back).
Old 12-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

I envy all of you guys that can puit it in the "trunk" I'd love to drop mine on the roof, but the height and weight is not the issue (I can shlep a 35 around). It's the added weight at a higher senter of gravity that I cannot have.

Oh and a full size spare for sure. Not sure who said it earlier but I too have seen a bead not go back on when junk got in there.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:38 PM

anybody ever seen a JDM 3rd gen 4runner with the tire rack covering the back hatch. That would be an interesting mod, and would let you carry as big a tire as you want, although you would probably have to replace the back hatch, I believe the liscense plate holder is thrown off to the left. Check here for a pic of Staoshis runner with the rear rack removed I beleive.... http://www.4runners.org/images/satoshi/s_06.jpg
Old 12-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
For in town driving, which I do 99.9% of the time, my spare is at home in the back yard on my tool chest. If I need it, I'll go home and get it or call.

If you are on the highway/interstate a lot, you are foolish to drive around w/o a spare unless you got time to waste and an AAA membership.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

if/when i get a tire carrier, i want that liftgate .... http://www.4runners.org/images/satoshi/s_06.jpg,
where would one find it ? im thinking it might be cheaper to have my liftgate fabbed.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:20 PM

the last flat I got was in the city. I ran over a bottle (never saw it) and it slashed my sidewall...
Old 12-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ric
if/when i get a tire carrier, i want that liftgate .... http://www.4runners.org/images/satoshi/s_06.jpg,
where would one find it ? im thinking it might be cheaper to have my liftgate fabbed.
Ric yours is in the trunk right? I don't remember it being underneath and if I remember correctly you have 35's...

I don't want a rear tire carrier that much either for the angle of attack issue. (Can't tell you how many times the 35 was hit on the rodeo in Moab because of that reason)

But I would like to have my trunk back so the rear tire carrier is the only other option (But it would have to be built in with my exo).

Last edited by Lysmachia; 12-28-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:19 AM

I was always considering grabbing a tire carrier of an early 2nd gen 4runner, and seeing what I could do, I know sonoran steel has a roll bar retro fitted from a 1st gen, so that was some inspiration. I have always liked the rear tire carrier. I only run 32's so I use the stock 30" spare under the truck I just always wantedto get a fifth rim, and fifth BFG AT, think it would look nasty hangin on the back. Just my 2¢
Old 12-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

I would NEVER use that fix-a-flat crap... unless you like your rims getting corroded.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

I would NEVER use that fix-a-flat crap
i know that Sears tire & auto will not even touch a tire that has had Fix-A-Flat in it, something about a guy (at sears) in Ohio, i think, was badly injured, something about when repairing the tire, the fix-a-flat made the tire explode, blowing up in the guys face, but that was years ago. and i cant remember the details, i just remember them asking if Fix-A-Flat was ever used on the tire.
so no, i also would never use it..
Old 12-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

exactly. that crap is nasty. if there is fix a flat in a tire, i wont touch it. I work at sam's club tire and battery center. i'll process it as road hazard or sell them a new tire (if they didnt buy it from us). my buddy at work, Ron, will clean up the fix a flat though. i wont. ugh i hate that crap. i mean ok, if it is your ONLY option, go ahead, but you should always have a spare
Old 01-02-2006, 05:09 PM

I am suprised all you guys who put the spare on the roof. I would think it is bad to have that wieght that high.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is what happens when you don't carry a spare - you are 80kms away from the nearest gas station. a twig takes out your tire. you end up fizing it with plumbers dope, string and a shop towel. True story - didn't know it could be done but now I do.

Last edited by celica; 01-03-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

hey matt!

that is quite the trail repair! thought about changing your name to macgyver?!! good job.

lee
Old 01-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

I run the full size 295 under the truck around town. I take it down and strap it to the roll bar inside when wheelin' to help with departure angle.

Quick Reply: Driving with no spare?