General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Cross Country Trip: Cali > Florida in a 91 4x4 3VZE: Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross Country Trip: Cali > Florida in a 91 4x4 3VZE: Should I be worried?

Hey guys,

So I am in the process of moving from California to Florida and have to drive the truck, and tow a bedroom and a 300 lb enduro motorcycle in the back. This time of the year it is about 95-107 degrees across the I-10 back home.

Truck is a 91 4x4 SR5 ext cab 3.0 V6 with 100k miles. Truck sat for a long time, and the injectors were clogged. The gas tank was corroded (must have sat with gas for years..), replaced the gas tank, fuel filter, and lines, so the injectors shouldnt be getting clogged. As far as everything else Mechanically- not sure, but the gasket recall was done in 1998 and my truck happens to be one of the Japanese models with the "JT" VIN.

I am planning on a coolant flush and oil change before I hit the road. I am just praying that I can get home without anything going wrong. Unfortunately I do not have $2000 to drop on a Uhaul + extra for a tow dolly, etc. So my only choice is to haul with the truck.

Should I be worried?
Old 07-28-2015, 04:49 PM

Don't worry about it. You'll do more damage to yourself sitting on the edge of your seat in all likelihood. I have a 1993 dlx with the 3.slow VZ-E and for all the bad press it's been a good engine.

News flash: all engines blow heads at some point. Ours just do it earlier lol. We don't suffer suspension, fuel, transmission, or electrical gremlins like some do. My 1991 "unbreakable 22RE" blew a head gasket too so THERE!! Ha!

Be aware of how hard you lug her on hills and your temp gauge. MAKE SURE YOUR RAD CAP IS GOOD.
Other than that, you'll be fine. Mine had the recall done in 1997 and 124k later I'm fine (mine also sat for 4 years).
Head gaskets blow at low RPM FYI. Don't be afraid of 4th gear and a few rpm. Gas mileage is bad no matter what lol.

Good luck.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Colington
Don't worry about it. You'll do more damage to yourself sitting on the edge of your seat in all likelihood. I have a 1993 dlx with the 3.slow VZ-E and for all the bad press it's been a good engine.

News flash: all engines blow heads at some point. Ours just do it earlier lol. We don't suffer suspension, fuel, transmission, or electrical gremlins like some do. My 1991 "unbreakable 22RE" blew a head gasket too so THERE!! Ha!

Be aware of how hard you lug her on hills and your temp gauge. MAKE SURE YOUR RAD CAP IS GOOD.
Other than that, you'll be fine. Mine had the recall done in 1997 and 124k later I'm fine (mine also sat for 4 years).
Head gaskets blow at low RPM FYI. Don't be afraid of 4th gear and a few rpm. Gas mileage is bad no matter what lol.

Good luck.
Hey Colington,

Thanks for your reassuring words. I've hardly slept from the anxiety of planning this trip and last minute fixes- fuel filter, rusted out fuel lines, rusty fuel tank, and the sudden rise of gas prices.

I'll definitely have my eye on the temp guage.. planning on only pushing 8 hrs to day to be easy on both the truck and myself. I think once I get on the road I'll feel a little better about the drive. Once I hit AZ (107 temp) if I have to, i'll run the heater and just ride it out.. try to do most of my miles at night even though temps stay pretty high at night out there.

It's a pretty rough season to make this move, I had to do the same move exactly 3 years ago out here, and it's hot just about everywhere.

Anyone else with any suggestions or recommendations before I get on the road- please feel free

Thanks
Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 PM

Glad I could help. I get the same trepidation about taking mine off-road (that's it's purpose as a second vehicle) in the end I have to exercise a little of "fučk it" attitude. It if happens, it happens...

That said, pay attention, listen to your nose. You'll smell it before it blows.

Have plenty of water for you and distilled for your 3.0. Have JB weld for a radiator fix in a pinch. Some basic tools... Maybe even a hose or two. Don't be cute and run injector cleaner the day before or anything like that.

Remember to take in the sights, it's a cool drive. With all the cellphones and iPads and such, we forget the simple pleasure of looking out the window.

It was designed by really smart people for the exact application you are intending lol. Sounds funny, but it's true and it's done it for over 100,000 miles..

Last edited by Colington; 07-28-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is mechanical things do tend to fail at the worst time.

Another thing keep in mind the heat soak of driving for periods of time like 8 or 10 hours.

oil use can increase.

things tend to vibrate loose.

a clogged differential vent short trips no real problem things get real warm it starts pushing gear oil out.

transmission auto or manual ??

Failures I have had

rear wheel bearing

radiator tank crack

exhaust bolts vibrating loose

failed coolant hoses

heater core started leaking

idler pulley bearing failed.

tire problems

granted this is over quite a few years but things do happen

just plan for it then your better prepared if it does.

Take your time.

Last edited by wyoming9; 07-28-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Colington
Glad I could help. I get the same trepidation about taking mine off-road (that's it's purpose as a second vehicle) in the end I have to exercise a little of "fučk it" attitude. It if happens, it happens...

That said, pay attention, listen to your nose. You'll smell it before it blows.

Have plenty of water for you and distilled for your 3.0. Have JB weld for a radiator fix in a pinch. Some basic tools... Maybe even a hose or two. Don't be cute and run injector cleaner the day before or anything like that.

Remember to take in the sights, it's a cool drive. With all the cellphones and iPads and such, we forget the simple pleasure of looking out the window.

It was designed by really smart people for the exact application you are intending lol. Sounds funny, but it's true and it's done it for over 100,000 miles..

About the injector cleaner-

Before i dropped the tank and swapped the fuel filter, the injectors started getting clogged again after I had just got them cleaned. Do you think with clean tank/lines/filter, whatever is in there now will get blown ot? It's just a little down in power and is working harder than it did when I had the injectors just cleaned.

I was planning on throwing Seafoam in the tank before i hit the road to knock out what ever is in there. Is this a bad idea? does this make everything run hotter?
Old 07-29-2015, 06:53 AM

Disclaimer; I'm not a Toyota technician with a million years of experience on these engines. I'm more of an educated/been there done that guy who's owned 3 of these spanning 25 years.

That being said, I know that my vehicles always behave differently after a fuel type treatment. You're basically dumping detergent into the system. They can make things hotter as well. Injectors dont clog themselves. If you changed the nasty fuel and lines, you should be ok. If you want to seafoam her, do it now, not the day before.

Good luck.