General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: What do you have, a Bumper or a Brush Guard?
ARB Bumper
27.00%
TJM Bumper
30.38%
Other Aftermarket Bumper
14.77%
WAAG Brush Guard
6.75%
Other Brush Guard
25.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Bumper Vs. Brush Guard

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That last one was it. There is some clearance that is eaten.

I have no aspirations of getting rid of mine, but it is starting to get annoying. Sort of like that itch right in the middle of your back just beyond an outstretched finger.

Not trying to be a smart alleck, but how have they saved you from going over?
Old 03-30-2003, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAHAHA- I was wondering if anyone was going to ask that.
I slid of a very muddy trail in Northern Virginia and kind of dropped the passenger front tire off a bank that I was on top of. The end result was that I ended up with the drivers rear tire about 3 feet in the air and the passenger front tire off the bank, the only thing that stopped me from rolling off the bank and dropping about 5 feet to water was those "eaters" on the front of the ARB, they dug into the dirt and held the front still.
I'm sure ARB did not design it that way, but it was a very interesting situation to be in........haha

The other time was me just being dumb and climbing a huge rock for a picture, and slid off of course and those things cought another rock just before I rolled off, yeah- stupid I know
Old 03-30-2003, 07:11 PM

I had to drastically redesign my ARB mounts to clear my new front crossmember and the first thing I did was to run a straight cut and chopped the bottom of the mounts right off (the "fins"). You can kinda make them out in this pic:

Old 03-30-2003, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

i have a waag brush guard (not mounted yet, but soon) and i like the way it looks. i like the look of it and the stock bumper so i'll enjoy it while i can. the day that i get in an accident and mess up my bumper is the day i go arb.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 44Runner
I had to drastically redesign my ARB mounts to clear my new front crossmember and the first thing I did was to run a straight cut and chopped the bottom of the mounts right off (the "fins"). You can kinda make them out in this pic:

Man, something is up with your front end. That looks like you broke it or something.....
Old 03-30-2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein

Man, something is up with your front end. That looks like you broke it or something.....
Yeah, I'm pretty sure something's not right up there, haven't been able to figure it out though...
Old 03-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure something's not right up there, haven't been able to figure it out though...
hey dave, just curious...why change your entire suspension to a solid axle leaf-spring set up? what are the advantages? sorry for being a newbie
Old 03-30-2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by AllOtherNamesTakenSo
hey dave, just curious...why change your entire suspension to a solid axle leaf-spring set up? what are the advantages? sorry for being a newbie
Mainly a whole lot more flex and a much stronger axle...
Old 03-31-2003, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Mainly a whole lot more flex and a much stronger axle...

IFS rules
Old 03-31-2003, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the Input All...I think I'm going to go with either ARB or TJM...

Just one more question: what model are you using of either TJM or ARB (i.e. T15 for TJM , Sahara for ARB)

which of these is more expensive and who has good deals on these, as I'm a college student on a budget (but spending it all on my car)

Also, is anyone using one of these with stock coils up front, or do I have to upgrade those too?

Thanks!

Last edited by TheLaw; 03-31-2003 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you go with an ARB, the Tacoma one fits much better.
The Prado one is bigger, as well as the Sahara ones, they stick out more on the sides.

If you contact ARB, email Tim.
tlund@arbusa.com

He will tell you the Tacoma one fits best, and that is what they are now recommending 3rd gen owners to use.

Here is what the Taco bar looks like on a Taco up close, and will look similar on the 3rd gen.

http://pnw4runners.net/runs/11_9_02/29.jpg

http://pnw4runners.net/runs/11_9_02/30.jpg

The bumperettes on the sides blend in well with the flares.
The other ARB's stick out further and don't match up quite as well.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:48 AM

Also, is anyone using one of these with stock coils up front, or do I have to upgrade those too?
i have an arb on my taco... i had the stock coils up there for a while and they were fine. they might start to sag after a while though..... i have SAW's now so... that takes care of that problem.

i like the look of the ARB more than the TJM... but either one is good.

and those fins... i dont think they stick down that far on mine. maybe my skid plate comes out more than on runners. i dont know, i never noticed them hanging down like you guys are talking about. ill go take a look right now though.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:02 AM

yeah. unless i am thinking of the wrong thing, i definatly do not have those. here's a pic.. you can see from this angle nothing hangs down in the front.

or am i completely off?
Attached Thumbnails Bumper Vs. Brush Guard-taco.jpg  
Old 03-31-2003, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by rowan
yeah. unless i am thinking of the wrong thing, i definatly do not have those. here's a pic.. you can see from this angle nothing hangs down in the front.

or am i completely off?
You have the Taco or Prado Bar? Mine with "fins" is the Prado bar...
Old 03-31-2003, 11:17 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I just noticed something for the first time.
The Taco ARB bumper as seen on Rob's Taco above doesn't have the fins hanging down like mine does for the older style Toys.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:00 PM
Banned

A real bumper is a great choice.

Last month I was out wheeling with some guys and someone in a Samuari backed into me pretty firmly. With a brush guard I probably would have to deal with broken headlights, broken corner lenses, dented hood, shattered grill and a destroyed brush guard. As it went with my custom tube bumper I just lost a flake or two of lovely yellow spraypaint.

The Samuari lost both tail light/ turn signals, destroyed the stock rear bumper, badly dented the rear door and door frame. If he had a spare tire sticking out like Sammies do he probably would have broken his back glass as well.

Get a real bumper and let the other guy worry about the dammage.

Last edited by jx94148; 03-31-2003 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:05 PM

yeah i must have the taco bar.... seeing as it as a tacoma.

that thing is tough though. i was trying to climb up on a rock today... and i knew that the clearance on the bumper would be close... so i went pretty slow..... and sure enough it hit...... but i couldnt even tell. if it had been the stock bumper, or a flimsy brush gaurd, there would have been a huge dent.

get an ARB or TJM
Old 04-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

can a arb or tjm fit with a body lift? more specifically, could it fit properly with a 1.5 inch body lift?

and, are the stock turn signal lights and foglights used with one of these aftermarket bumpers, or what?
Old 04-02-2003, 10:36 AM

My bumpers are custom built to accept stock lights and body lifts. I believe the arb and tjm have to be modified slightly for body lift.
My bumper is here if ya wanna take a look. $525us

http://community.webshots.com/user/zedex1100
Old 04-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by calrockx
can a arb or tjm fit with a body lift? more specifically, could it fit properly with a 1.5 inch body lift?

and, are the stock turn signal lights and foglights used with one of these aftermarket bumpers, or what?
That all depends on what you buy and who makes it. Some do some don't.

ARBs ant TJMs will need custom mounting hardware with a bodylift. They will take your stock winkers or, in some cases, cheap genaric ones. Fog lights will need some more custom fab work.

Quick Reply: Bumper Vs. Brush Guard