General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Blower motor resistor problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blower motor resistor problems

Kind of a funny tech/repair story:

So about a month ago, my a/c/heater fan mostly stopped working. I still had the high setting of the fan, so I could heat and defrost my windows and all the other settings worked, but only while the fan was set to high.

Anyways this made is rather difficult to have a conversation or listen to music while on my way to work, so I set about trying to fix it.

I thought about it and then started to ask around to some friends who are mechanics. As soon as they heard the description of the problem they immediately said "the resistor" that is hooked up to the blower motor.

Now that I had a starting point I looked up the wiring diagrams for my '91 pickup. The diagrams were less than helpful in locating the resistor, so I pulled apart my dash looking for something, at which this point I still did not know what exactly I was looking for.

After I got the entire dash apart I found quite a few things which had no names on them, just numbers, so I looked online for what this thing looked like.

I found several pictures and none of them actually showed the precise location of the resistor. After I called the stealership, I found it.

The 1991 Toyota pickup blower motor resistor was located on the Passenger side, just behind and underneath the intake fan for the circulation system. There is a 4 wire plug hooked up to it, (blue-red, blue-yellow, white-black, and one other. I don't have my diagram in front of me atm) The resistor is held in with 2 phillps screws and CAN BE REACHED WITHOUT REMOVING ANY OF THE DASH!!! I was bummed when I realized this.

Anyways, I hope this helps anyone who has a broken resistor and needs help locating it.
Pics to follow once I get the camera back
Old 01-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

find one for a decent price, mine only works on speeds 3 and 4, no low speeds in my 89 pickup
Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 PM

taking the dash out makes it easier though so it wasnt a complete waste of time hah, and now you know how
Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

These things new from the dealer even list price are not expensive . I think I paid around $9.00

Any yard ones are going to be so brittle that taking them out will most likely break them .

Don`t know why up in the great white north Toyota prices for parts seem expensive compared to in the USA

but not so much that you would save any money with shipping till it was all done.