General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

attention diesel gear heads, watchu know about propane injection?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
attention diesel gear heads, watchu know about propane injection?!

i read a little about it from a company that specializes in land cruisers, just wondering what everyone's take on this is. i hear it's like the NOS for turbo diesels, increases mileage and HP, wow! basic concept is small vapour amounts are injected in to burn more of the wasted diesel fuel, as normal diesels only burn 75% of the fuel.... apparently it's a simple bolt on kit that comes with a small bottle that's good for say 4 tanks, and you can adjust how much psi of propane to inject depending on power needs. so who's got experience with these?
thanks.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:21 PM

a good friend of the family has the bully dog propane steup on his 7.3L powerstroke, and so far it improved his power and mileage quite well. seems to me that it would be a good mod. btw, what type of rig u planning on putting one on?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:54 AM

ah kewl. thanks for the input. well, i have a 2nd gen 90 hilux surf with the 2LT turbo diesel motor...i've also been told that i can get an intercooler set up for it, wouldn't that be sweet?!

i guess it's not exactly like NOS, well same idea, but the propane injection is only a small amount and lasts longer and continuously everytime the motor is running (not like a shot of NOS at the dragstrip), just needing refilling of the bottle every few tank ups (or just carryin an extra one in the trunk). it's practically maintenance free once installed, but still finding out the exact kit...

currently, i'm getting 'bout 600km/60 litre tank on off/on road stock tires... wouldn't mind seeing that mileage go up.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:26 AM

yeah, if ya can, definitely install an intercooler, as you'll see power and probably even some mileage increase. but keep us posted if ya do this setup, as i'm sure it'll be well worth it...
Old 11-14-2007, 06:58 AM

Talking

WhooHooo! Another 2LT diesel guy!!!!

Talk to the guys at luxuryimports.ca . They seem to know more about putting these systems into the 2LT than anyone else. IF you want to boost up your 2LT it is HIGHLY suggested you do the following first:

PYROMETER - most important - 2LT cook heads like nothing else
Cooling system in excellent condition - with after market temp gauge, the stock one is VERY inaccurate. (most of the JDM trucks have really corroded rads - get it rodded, not just flushed)
Cold air intake
Intercooler
Boost Gauge

All this is suggested before you consider the propane injection. I have done all the above to my rig (and more) and seen great results. Worth mentioning, is I did all this to prevent BLOWING ANOTHER ENGINE. I have pics of all the mods if you want.....

feel free to PM me if you need any info.

Good luck
-frozen
Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 AM

yup, i found the info on luxuryimports.ca! kewl. just wanted to get a 2nd opinion i guess, but those guys seem like they know their stuff inside out! thanks for the tips frozensurf! i'll look into those, turns out that one of the guys from luxuryimports is headed to southern ontario so i'll try and hit them up once settled here.

i'm guessing their rads in japan corrode more cuz of lack of use! i got mine with only 56K kms, but eventually had to get the heater core replaced deep inside the dash, but so far so good, i'll check the rad. i'm sure i'll drop you a PM once i think of other things. cheers!