General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

All Toyota dealers are not created equal!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All Toyota dealers are not created equal!

Hey guys,
Figured I bring this up and get everyone's opinion or personal experience.

I have 2 dealers close to me and usually refer to them as the "stealer".........like many do here.

Now I know why.............one is charging between 70 & 80 % or more for their parts than the other dealer here in Phoenix.
Transfer case seal : Bell rd Toyota 13.92
Camelback Toyota 5.99

That is pretty crazy!
Last month..........CV shaft Seal.....Bell rd.Toyota 16.00
Camelback Toyota 9.00

I asked the Bell rd location parts guy about this and he claimed they must be looking up different parts over at Camelback...........yea right!
Now I know why I've been stunned when going to the Bell rd location!
I've been getting fleeced!

Kenny S
Old 07-25-2010, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That a dealer for you!!!! Sad thing is that people actually take the vehicles there to get worked on...
Old 07-25-2010, 11:11 AM

Here in VA, NC, and DE, each Toyota dealer is different but they seem to all stay around a 10%~20% markup over list price. It is as much the dealer as the person behind the counter. I have gone into the dealer closest to me twice for the same part in the same day and been quoted a 40% difference in price for the part by different folks behind the counter. Ten years ago at the Honda and Acura parts departments, I received up to 20% off list price on parts. They received a lot of business from my friends and family.

Biggest rip off: Paid $5 for the auto pan drain plug washer once. It is listed for $.98. That is why I buy all OEM part online now unless I am in a real bind.

A tire recycler who works with most of the NC dealerships told me the other week that since dealers are making little money on selling new cars now, they are making up for it in the used car market and in repairs/maintenance.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
pretty common...Beaverton Toyota is usually 20% higher on their parts (and usually say item is no longer available)...head down the road to Royal Moore Toyota (5 or so miles away)--save money and they can usually find the part...getting harder though for my 1st Gen Truck...
Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

I'm in the same boat.. two dealers 10 miles apart. The other day I went to the one that was closer to me for some oil filters for the wifes Camry and my Tundra. The parts guy was helping another customer...no big deal. Well about 10 minutes go by of him looking for a part while I'm standing there and he never once says I'll be with you in a minute or even acknowledges my existence for that matter. They finally find his part and then go out to his car to see if it's the right one. The parts guy had to basically brush past me and again he never even looks at me. Two more trips out to the other customers car and 25 minutes later and I walked up to the counter and said "You just lost a good customer because your customer service skills suck" and I walked out. He just looked stood there looking at me. Drove the 15 minutes over to the other dealer and was in and out in 5 minutes.

I can understand that your busy with someone else it's when they don't even say a word or acknowledge your there that pisses me off. I had issues with that dealership last time and said I'd never go back and I caved for convienence..well this time they blew it..I"ll never spend another penny there.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I get a pretty good discount through my dealer off list price. To check list price (and to keep my dealer honest) i check list prices online at toyotapartsales.com by entering the part number, as well as finding the info myself on the dealer software we have.

What they sell to the walk in public is called "resale" or "dealer markup". Every company needs to make a profit, and in order to make a profit they need to sell above cost.

I have no idea what that dealers cost on those parts is, but Toyota does not charge the same price across the boards. Different dealers get different price levels depending on sales, location, and many other factors.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I guess I am lucky I have a great dealership.

i never hear the part is no longer listed. They tell me we will try and see if it shows up. As the vehicles get 20 plus years old it is harder to find things.

It does help to be on a first name basis with the parts people and service manager