General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Alignment - rear suspension issue questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment - rear suspension issue questions...

I have a '11 TRD 4x4 double cab v6. I have the rear leaf spring TSB and just put blistein 5100s all around with fronts set at 1.75 and a .25 spacer on drivers side to correct my Taco lean.

I took it in for alignment... and they say I have a rear suspension problem... Here is the rear info:

Left Camber 0.0 Right Camber -0.7
Left Toe 0.62 Right Toe -0.43
Total Toe 0.19
Thrust angle 0.52

I know the rear is not adjustable. Looking back on my previous alignment I had some rear toe previously. I don't have any other alignment records on the truck, but they never told me before that I had an issue

I am wondering if I bent or torqued something 4 wheeling? Did they mess up the rear spring TSB?

Is this really an issue, or is this just manufacturer imperfections?
Old 10-31-2017, 10:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
The 1/4" spacer could very easily throw off your alignment. It may not be much but it's there. The problem is the driver side spring is sagging some. When the springs compress it moves the axle backwards. When it's only one side the axle is going to rotate slightly under the truck which is what changes the toe. With the sagging spring your toe is off. Adding the spacer may raise the truck back to sitting level but the spring still sags. Chances are that's where your alignment issue stem from. What I would recommend doing is get that spacer out of there and get to a dealer. The spacer is just a bandaid to cosmetically fix a problem that can quickly develop into a major problem and possibly totaled truck on the free way. If your truck is covered for the spring TSB then just get them replaced and don't bother with the spacer.

Last edited by Kolton5543; 10-31-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 284 Likes on 212 Posts
I agree with Kolton on one point, if warranty will cover springs put it back to stock and get the dealer to put them in. As to total rear toe and camber I would like to clarify that the only thing that will change those numbers on a solid rear axle is a bent housing. a sagging spring can cause one side of the housing to sit farther back than the other which will change your thrust angle (makes one side toe in just as much as the other side toes out) which on yours is a little much but not horrible. (this angle causes "dog tracking" where the rear end doesn't follow the front wheels and you have to steer to one side to go straight). You may be able to get an alignment covered under warranty as well, doesn't hurt to ask, show them a printout from the previous alignment and maybe they will in order to show you if the rear axle is square under the truck.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as a follow up I took the truck in to Toyota. Turns out their alignment readings are much better than Big O and the rear toe is what I would expect. Got my money refunded by Big O for inaccurate info and having to get alignment redone elsewhere.

Thanks