General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

A 4WD Toyota shop in Austin, TX

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 4WD Toyota shop in Austin, TX

My friend and I are trying to get information together about opening up a shop in Austin that would primarily deal with Toyotas and other non-domestic off-road vehicles. We would like to do everything from custom fabrication work to bolting on bumpers and suspension. What I need from you guys is some advice and whether or not you would spend your hard earned money at a shop like the one I described. Also if anyone is in the central Texas area please speak up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
im in sa town
if the quality was good
price ok
and i couldnt do something i needed done
and you guys knew what you were doing
i would deff come to you
Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 PM

That is exactly what I wanted to know. We aren't by any means experts right now but both of us have the ability and the passion to learn everything we can in order to run a good shop. It is going to be a while before this gets off the ground but I figured getting some feedback wouldn't hurt.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
true true
i wish i had the experience to do something like that
good luck man
welcome to yotatech btw
Old 03-24-2008, 08:43 PM

As long as you are fair and honest they will come. I started my own business over two years ago and it is great! Dont let the small stuff stress you out. Just remember, people will talk about you, it is up to you what they say.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:14 PM

houston here

I would if I heard you guys knew your stuff and charged a moderate rate. I got a quote the other day from a 4x4 shop here and they charged the same as the dealership. In that case, why would I choose the 4x4 shop? A big thing for me is if I feel like your trying to sell me stuff just to make money, you will lose my business. I get that feeling from some dealerships and I just find another dealership to deal with. I'd rather drive 2 hours to Austin if I can trust you and get a decent rate then pay some guy here in town to save gas money. Good luck with your shop if you decide to open and keep us updated.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:40 PM

I'm also from H-town, couldn't wait to get out of there btw. As far as price goes you can bet that we won't overcharge. I completely understand the feeling of someone trying to sell you something you don't need. I have definately been in that situation more than I care to remember. Which is why we would not in any way do that to our customers. I want to run a completely honest and straightfoward shop, not try to rip people off.

Also does anyone have any advice or knowledge about running a business and or training/certification needed to run a shop?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:11 PM

me and my buddies are talking about the same kind of thing to open up a shop but i figure while im still can do it going to school for business so one day we could possibly do it we have the skills to do the work just need the know how to run it

if you have the time and money to go back to school go for it. it will teach you everything you need to know and some you dont but you have to suffer through it
Old 03-25-2008, 04:14 PM

I am going back to school, but not for business. I was thinking about throwing at least one business class into the mix just to check it out.

So where are you planning on opening this shop?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:35 PM

south caroilna, but its a shot in the dark got to get through school first then we will take from there
Old 03-26-2008, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have any certifications?

Lets see some pics of your fab work
Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could you do engine swaps, and SAS? If so, I would be interested, even though I live so far away, an adventure would be fun.

I would definately want to lend a hand too. Even if it wouldn't help my wallet.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:31 AM

im moving to the dallas area, id drive down to check you out.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reply--If you are going to open a business--take some basic accounting and Tax classes. You will start to understand how money "REALLY" works.

I would then suggest you attend the community colleges at night and learn the technical side of Welding, Machining, Electrics.......You do that and all you will really need to diagonse problems/fabricate is a good voltmeter, micrometers, welder and of course misc metal tools.

I am sorry that i wouldnt go to you though--i already go to a shop in Austin Called Krawltex--and we wheel, break, and fix together. Those guys are pretty good at what they do.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:43 PM

dirtoyboy: neither one of us have any certification which is one of my questions... are they required? And neither one of us has done any fab work yet. But I personally spend way too much time looking at and reading about sas and other custom fab that I am fairly confident I could get it down pat very quickly. Since neither my friend or I are stupid in any respect it shouldn't be a problem to learn the trade.

infiltrator: See above for sas explaination. As far as engine swaps, I am very familiar with a toyota's engine bay and have swaped in a new long-block 22RE into my old 87 4Runner pretty much by myself.

hross14: I agree with all of that on the classes and stuff. Good advice. Thanks. I'm def familiar with Krawltex. My friend has been there and I know AustinTaco that hangs out with them and swears by them. I'm thinking about dropping in and having some beers on the first wednesday of April.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:18 AM

Best way is to start out of your garage and see how you fair with small projects and such.....If you're good...the people will come to you

having some type of certification in SOMETHING would help..wether it be welding, ASE, accounting, whatever....
Old 03-27-2008, 10:30 AM

I know its not really the same as working on someone else's vehicle but I have fixed almost everything and done the all of the modifications myself to my own vehicles.

I def think that a learning fab work would be the best thing we could learn.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:41 AM

I would recommend talking to owners or employees of local off road shops too......see if u can pick their brains....also a welding/fabrication class at a community college or trade school might be an idea
Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BUT--really the bottom line is learning how money works--i cant stress this enough. Take some accounting classes--at least accounting 1 and maybe a business law class--like intro to Business Law.

These classes at a Comm college should maybe run you 200 dollars tops per class. But what you learn will be invaluable!!!!

In my opinion--these are a must--even more so important than anything else. You need these classes---unless you already have run a business or have been in the business--but if not--take the classes
Old 03-27-2008, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let me know how these plans go. If you do end up setting up a shop, or even are willing to do some work for me, and have me help too, please let me know (PM me or something, and I can work out a plan/deal/trip)

God speed to ya brother.

Also, wanted to say. If you do some crazy fab work like SAS, take pictures. That would be your saving grace over not having any certification. Show before and after, maybe in progress photos.

Customer satisfaction? If you guys did a good job for me, I would definately allow you to put maybe a sticker or some letters on my truck, and I would refer anyone who is interested....

Quick Reply: A 4WD Toyota shop in Austin, TX