General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

3rd gen, 4th, or Xterra???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen, 4th, or Xterra???

Please help a desperate, ignorant noobie...

I'm 47 and now that my kids are grown and (almost) out of the house it's my turn to get something I actually enjoy driving. I need a new ride by Saturday, because my daughter totaled the Sienna last week. Thankfully, she didn't get a scratch. I love Toyota!

Here's my quandary. I'm planning a road trip to Alaska this summer. At my age, a loud rough ride on a 10,000 mile drive would be misery. But I still love driving off road when I finally reach the trail. I'm not into rock crawling, but I enjoy driving over high altitude passes, which usually involves muddy, rocky, snow-covered, steep inclines, and narrow trails.

My budget is $13-$20k, but the high end of that range would represent a long-term commitment.

So, Xterra? They're cheap. A 2007 runs about $14,000. Can't find one anywhere with a locker, though, and best I can tell you can't get one. Test drive impressed me with comfort/capability compromise.

3rd Gen? My impressions: Older, but superior durability. Didn't seem as comfortable, quiet or powerful as the Xterra. But very capable. And the mods I want are available and relatively inexpensive (sliders, skid plates and locker?). I test drove a low mileage '02 limited for $13k.

4th gen? Comfortable, large, powerful, refined. But too wide for the trails I like? Not enough ground clearance? No locker and I couldn't afford any mods anyway since the V6 05's (got the 5-speed auto) and newer come in at the top of my budget. Are these more capable off road than I'm thinking? Is their width a serious problem in the mountains?

Is the 3rd gen comfortable enough for a 47 year old to drive 10,000 miles round trip to Alaska? Is the 2002 Limited a good choice here?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lookin4yota
Please help a desperate, ignorant noobie...

I'm 47 and now that my kids are grown and (almost) out of the house it's my turn to get something I actually enjoy driving. I need a new ride by Saturday, because my daughter totaled the Sienna last week. Thankfully, she didn't get a scratch. I love Toyota!
Hey, that's no fair! I'm 46 and my oldest at home is 17 my youngest is 10!!! I have a ways to go! I'm also new to wheelin' bought my '04 Tacoma last spring haven't regreted it!!!

Here's my quandary. I'm planning a road trip to Alaska this summer. At my age, a loud rough ride on a 10,000 mile drive would be misery. But I still love driving off road when I finally reach the trail. I'm not into rock crawling, but I enjoy driving over high altitude passes, which usually involves muddy, rocky, snow-covered, steep inclines, and narrow trails.
My family did this in 1969 in a '66 Chev panel van and a pink olds 88. It was great! I was only 6, but I still have wonderful vivid memories of that trip. We drove from Michigan across Canada on the Alcan highway, through the Yukon to Anchorage and then on to Fairbanks! You wont regret it!!!

Is the 3rd gen comfortable enough for a 47 year old to drive 10,000 miles round trip to Alaska? Is the 2002 Limited a good choice here?
Go for the 3rd gen, the newer ones are becoming a bit too civilized. For the very reasons you posted get the 3rd gen. You cannot beat Toyota quality, and there are a lot of aftermarket goodies for them. Face it at our age, ibuprofen is your friend!!!

Whatever you decide, good luck, We want pics!!! Of the rig and the trip when the time comes!!!

Last edited by TacoNut; 01-20-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 AM

The answer seems pretty obvious to me, 3rd gen. It's cheaper, allows for all the mods you want, Toyota quality, etc. I don't think the ride would be too bad. I'm 20 and used to make monthly trips to Colorado, 8-10 hours with my mom , and we've rented the last few times. No matter what car we have I always hate the feeling my body gets from driving. Personally I'm more comfortable in my '88 than an '08 . But anyways, I say 3rd gen and agree about the pics
Old 01-21-2009, 02:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
3 Gen...within your budget, and leaves you room to mod. Comfortable, reliable, and the 3.4 is amazing.

4th gens are to big and bulky and have lost the 4runner roots IMO

And an Xterra? Can a 3rd gen 4Runner really be compared with a Xterra?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 AM

For capability, there's a sick 4th gen in the new 4wd toyota owner with a long travel kit...but that's way out of your budget. Get a 3rd gen, you'll be happy.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:35 AM

What about a Land Cruiser? That would my pick for a long road trip with wheeling at the end. You can get one with factory lockers at both ends. However my pick would be the '99. It has a factory rear locker and the 4.7 V8, and the trans. doesn't have the problems like the '98. As far as size the turning radius is only 1 foot larger than the 3rd gen 4runner.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3rd gen or fj80
Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
3rd gen or fj80
The 80's nice too, you can lockers in the front and rear I just prefer the V8 power and I'm pretty sure the 100 gets better MPG than the 80.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 AM

If you think the 4th gen runner is too big for the trails you're gonna be running, forget any of the later wagon body LC's. Stick with a 3rd gen Runner and you'll be happy. Plus parts are cheaper and more readily available for a 4runner.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:42 AM

The Xterra's ride like a jeep, not favorable for a long trip
Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by flashkl
If you think the 4th gen runner is too big for the trails you're gonna be running, forget any of the later wagon body LC's.
The 100 series is only 5.5" wider and 9" longer than a 3rd gen 4runner. It's not the bohemuth most people think it is.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:15 AM

I agree with all the above statements. The Xterra may feel nice now, but they go down hill quick. They are not made as nice as the 4runner. I wheel with a couple of friends that are die hard Nissan heads. Drive train seems to be pretty solid, but suspension and interior quality is not up to par. One has a 2005 Xterra and dash is falling apart. You get what you pay for. They definitely don't hold their value like the Toyota either. I say 3rd gen for the budget, drive train, comfort and parts availability, both stock and aftermarket. Also, try finding a support group like this for Nissan. They don't exist, I had one, I tried.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Anyone ever take measurments of width of a 4th gen, they really dont look that much wider then a 3rd gen...
Old 01-21-2009, 08:28 AM

4th gen is about 3 inches wider than a 3rd gen. So it's right between a 3rd gen 4runner and a 100 series cruiser
Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by stagger_lee
Also, try finding a support group like this for Nissan. They don't exist, I had one, I tried.
www.nissanoffroad.net I had a '02 Frontier supercharged. That truck rocked but reliability was not there. I went through a supercharger every 30k miles, and many electrical gremlins.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 AM

not exactly what your looking for but i have an 87 4runner and my roommate has an 03 xterra. i wouldnt even consider trading him even with his vehicle being 16 years newer. you cant beat a toyota.

yes, the 3.4l is amazing. idk what nissan has in it but after having driven both i personally feel like the 3.4l has more power.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

i put my vote on 4th gen 4runner or wait for the new 4runner to come out next year. it always happens, you buy what is considerd new then within a year they bring out a bigger better one.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by JShaffer0525

yes, the 3.4l is amazing. idk what nissan has in it but after having driven both i personally feel like the 3.4l has more power.
The '03 Xterra has a 3.3 ltr. It's an absolute dog, even my Frontier with the 3.3 supercharged was slow until I changed the S/C pulley, intake and exhaust. Went from 6 psi to 13 psi. Maybe that's why I granaded superchargers every 30k miles
Old 01-21-2009, 09:23 AM

If I had you needs and had to choose out of the 3, 3rd gen is probably the best choice.

But why not a Double Cab TRD Tacoma, it has the locker and just as many seats as the 4runner plus a bed, and the older ones are cheaper.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:51 AM

you guys are great!

First of all, thanks!!! Helpful advice graciously offered. It looks like the consensus is to go 3rd gen, and I'm leaning that way. Are there particular issues I should know about the '02 model year?

I had the impression the 4th gen. is way wider. It just looks large to me for some reason. Here's the actual difference according to edmunds.com:
Width: 70.9 vs. 75.2 inches.
Turning Rd: 38.1 ft. vs. 37.4! Not too shabby!
'74 Bronco I have the most experience wheeling in: 69" wide, <20 ft turning radius (92" wheelbase). But punishing on long trips even at 16 yrs. old.

How often do you 4th gen. guys wish your ride was just a few inches narrower in the mountains? Are there trails you just don't take that you would take a 3rd gen. on? I haven't ruled out the 4th gen yet. I have a dealer connection that will get me one off lease at cost.

Based on your confirmation of what I already felt, I did finally rule out the Xterra. I had already eliminated the FJ (wife said no way could we live with that "claustrophobic back seat") and, sadly, an LC (fuel penalty as a DD & size just too great) even though I've always wanted one.

Thanks again! The decision is getting closer and I'm getting a little less frustrated and a little more excited!

Quick Reply: 3rd gen, 4th, or Xterra???