General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

22r rebuild top end, timing, carby

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r rebuild top end, timing, carby

I just rebuilt my 22r stocker, everything was fine, machined head, cam buff, new crank, rings bearing, the lot, put it all back together and there is a little rattle in the top end, tappets i have been told, new cam, rockers and valves next.
When i take her for a drive and full throttle it sounds like someone has out a bucket of marbles in the top end, could thing just be incorrect timing, this is my first rebuild so im new to this.
I have a feeling it could be cross firing between the lines or timing just could be out a few degrees??any idea of the drama has anyelse had to deal with this.
Im aussie, so thanks mate!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
start from scratch. bring it to TDC. check the location of the rotor, and make sure it is pointing at #1cyl.
Then check the rockers and make sure they are in spec. I use one size smaller feeler gauge they recommend for hot adjustment, and adjust rockers cold. I use say 7 thous feeler gauge. Adjust, then try a 8 thous feeler gauge, and if it slides in, you need to do it again, till the 7 works and the 8 won't go in. Then you know for sure they are gapped right.
Make sure plug wires on on the right cyl. and on good.
Then check your timing.

Ohm your wire to see if they are bad.