Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

What would it take to make a high milleage 1st gen 4runner daily driveable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would it take to make a high milleage 1st gen 4runner daily driveable?

So I'm really interested in building a 1st gen 4runner. Not a crawler, just a weekend warrior for ski / camping trips and as a daily during bad weather. My other forms of transportation would be motorcycle and bicycle, so this would need to be reliable as a DD when weather required it.

Let's say I found a mostly stock '85 with close to 250,000 miles on it. Assume regular maintenance has been done, so timing chain, water pump, brakes, filters, etc are relatively new as are fluids. What would have to be done / invested to make it reliable? Are we talking full motor rebuild / major tune up / what? Approximate cost? I want to do it right. Step 1 is just making it reliable not putting 35's on it...that can come later. I have another truck but goal would be to get rid of it once the 4runner was ready to DD.

What do you think? Share some info with me please, I'm a Honda guy, never owned a Toyota...
Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 PM

a fairly stock Toyota can do excellent for modest trails but if you wanted a litle more off road worthiness id say slightly larger tires just to bring you up a lil posibly a rebuild with that many miles but if everythings been done you should be okay for quite awhile my dads 87 has 290... miles on it and no rebuild

but for a better awnser you need more info on this truck

auto manual engine etc
Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by andrewflores17

but for a better awnser you need more info on this truck

auto manual engine etc
Thanks, haven't found one yet. Looking in Colorado + nearby states. I think I want a 85 22RE manual...but I'm just starting to research.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rebuild the 22re, its pretty simple. and change every other fluid in it ie. tranny t case and diffs. then you should be good for many miles and years. toyotas never die
Old 04-27-2011, 07:03 PM

Ahhhhh, and heres how to rebuild a 22RE

http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Article...RE-Rebuild.htm

This looks pretty easy...
Old 04-27-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its super simple, im only 17. just make sure you have all the right tools. you can do it budget for $500, but thats without any block or head or crank work. have you block bored, your head machined, and your crank turned, but the appropriate oversized eveything you need, along with new timing chain kit and cover and oil and water pump. then get to work!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 PM

these truck will last forever thats for sure

since you live in colorado my best advice would be to look in pueblo or co springs but i see the best deals on craigslist pop up in pueblo to many in denver are trying to sell their trucks and not understand that they arnt worth that much i looked at to many 20 year old truck that were bone stock tons of miles burnt oil and had people trying to get 4 g plus in denver

Last edited by andrewflores17; 04-27-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Get in turn the key start vehicle drive as needed repair as needed.

You did say you are talking about a vehicle that was taken care of.

If you are talking about a vehicle that has been sitting for the last 5 years with a tree or two growing through the holes in the floor.

Then you have your work cut out for you.

It is easy to spend a lot of money real quick on doing something like this as where do you draw the line
Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TraviS2000
I think I want a 85 22RE manual...but I'm just starting to research.
Don't rule out an IFS rig. It seems that folks with a straight axled 22re often think they are made out of gold or something. For what you are describing as your uses of the truck, any Toyota will do. Get a first gen with IFS, wider rear axle, better steering setup, probably cheaper and have at it. Add a selectable locker to the rear due to your location, armor it up, and leave it on stock size tires or 30's and you will do fine. Maybe down the road you go to a 4.7 t case or dual case. Look at what AxleIke and TC are doing with IFS.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I DD my 86'. I bought it a year ago next friday with 243K on her. She now has 267K on her going strong!

First gen 4Runners can be DD'd just don't expect the comforts of a modern day vehicle.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:25 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by TraviS2000
Assume regular maintenance has been done, so timing chain, water pump, brakes, filters, etc are relatively new as are fluids.
I wound never assume that unless it comes with receipts. For all you know, this could be a total hack job of a truck.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I agree with Wyoming. Its a 25+/- year old truck. Stuffs going to fail eventually.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 04-28-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:21 AM

I agree with BLKNBLU, You might want to consider that a IFS truck will ride smoother and get better fuel economy than a <'86 Toyota. It will be easier to find (more model years) cheaper (for the reason above), and altogether more comfortable to drive every day. Some others have brought up the point that you need to remember that anything that's eligible for antique plates won't be as comfortable or (probably) as reliable as a modern vehicle.
With that said, I personally love driving older Toyota's and DON'T mind the fact that it has no ac, is really slow, and is really loud at highway speed that other people who I give a ride to DO mind.
Manage your expectations, and you'll love your truck
Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello Travis.. Depending on what you can do yourself, these trucks are easy to work on. I have used different seats to improve the comfort for a big improvement. They wont ever be a Lexus ride, just depends on what you are after.

Just did a 500 mile trip on one I just did and several miles before and after the trip. Just follow the manual and other builds on here and it can be done.

I updated my thread to give you an idea as to what can be done. I have done 3 trucks and now the one I am working on another one. Sounds like you are wanting one for about the same reason as I do. If you start a build thread definetly let me know.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Really depends on how the previous owner treated the truck...

I got lucky and have not had any major issues, some people have..

I would expect issues and deal with them as the come along...

but as mentioned, flush fluids, new hoses, alternator, starter rebuild, new fuel filter, spark plug, wires, dist cap, Rotor, sea foam. Then drive and listen to your truck, many times you will get a warning before something explodes..
Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's pretty much it right there.

As others have said don't rule out the IFS 1st gen 4runners. I bought my 89 for 1500$ and after just some minor work began driving it every day. I think it took me a week to work out the little things like exhaust, a ground cable issue and just general maintenance. So far so good with 236,000 miles.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:41 PM

drive it the way it is now, its a Toyota its already reliable
Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I so much like these IFS vehicles I seem to have a few.

These 86 to 88 Toyota`s I like much better then the 2000 Tacoma that keeps trying to kill me. Every time I crawl under it.

The older vehicles are much easier to work on at least for me.

I see no fault with the IFS in what I do .Getting out the driveway /river can be interesting

Besides it starts every time I turn the key
Old 04-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by nlinn
I personally love driving older Toyota's and DON'T mind the fact that it has no ac, is really slow, and is really loud at highway speed that other people who I give a ride to DO mind.
Manage your expectations, and you'll love your truck
Here's a question...what's a comfortable cruising speed on the highway in a stockish one? Will it cruise at 70 or 75 without flooring it and the engine sounding like it's going to explode?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
keep it close to the stock tire size and you should be able to cruise at those speeds. Ive heard of guys doing that, and commuting in these rigs every day.

Ive got 33's, no sway bar and super soft suspension and get death wobbles at 55mph or over. on 31's I drove 300 miles doing 65 at 3000 RMP's.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts

I see no fault with the IFS in what I do .Getting out the driveway /river can be interesting

Besides it starts every time I turn the key

Last edited by rattlewagon; 04-28-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: What would it take to make a high milleage 1st gen 4runner daily driveable?