Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

spacer lift with TRD coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spacer lift with TRD coils

i have a 04tacoma with stock trd coils. i am planning on buying the 3 inch toytec spacer lift. i heard that applying this spacer to the TRD coils is bad news for long term. and i heard i may not even acheive the full 3 inch lift im looking for with the trd coils.

As i understood... it is because the trd coils are softer twoards the top and get squished even more when the spacer is applyed... (lossing lift)

p.s. i did do a search and didnt find anything. im not even sure if this is true so i decided to sign up here to get the professional opinion. thanks.

-Jon
Old 07-10-2009, 01:03 AM

I would stay away from spacers personally. I don't have any exp. with coilovers, but on the rear of my runner, the spacers just accentuated the sag. you lose some of the lift because your just over compressing the stock springs. I'd just go with lift springs, but if it's out of your $$ range then just go with the spacers.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:14 AM

yea the coils / new shocks option is just too much money for me....

i was wondering if the TRD springs are going to have an even worse reaction from the spacer than a non-trd spring... anyone?
Old 07-10-2009, 01:22 AM

I don't think (this is backed by 0 actual research, just speculation) that the integrity of the springs is equal throughout. so if it's soft on the top, it's soft all the way down, but that doesn't really change any of it. spacers are no good (IMHO so others may have their own opinion) because it limits the flex of the springs you already have and can just make whatever lack of efficiency the springs have height wise more noticeable.

but if your current money situation makes that the only option I'd say go with it, but as soon as you have the cash and need for ability GO FOR STRAIGHT LIFT SPRINGS.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 AM

ok that makes sence. and yea i agree it probably was specualtion.

i know this wasnt presented to you but i am 2wd locked and i do light offroading. i do mostly town driving and a fairly good amount of highway. i just hope the stiffness is bareable on the long trips.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:34 AM

Yeah, the stiffness shouldn't change too much when you add the spacers, if at all. If it's not for too much off roading I'd say go for it. Don't expect the full 3" though. If you get all 3" that's awesome, but if it's 2.5-2.75" don't be bummed out. I have a few questions though;

Have you looked into a body lift instead? Idk what model you're running so there's no way to recommend anything.
Have you looked into just saving for a little while so you can just go straight to lift coils? or is this lift to fit new larger tires or something?
There will be other things you need to look into for that size lift (brake lines etc.), have you done that research also?
Old 07-10-2009, 02:42 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I did a spacer lift on my old '05 tacoma TRD Double Cab. ran it that way for 3 years, the only real issues I had with the TRD springs/spacers was the weight of my ARB bumper caused the springs to settle somewhat:

before spacers (stock 265's):

Daystar spacers with ARB/285's, springs setting probably an inch over 3 years:

the spacers do add some preload to the springs IMO. I got used to the ride after a few weeks.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:27 AM

wow thats impressive! 3 years. trd springs and 3 inch spacer w/ arb bumpr.... never heard sumthin like that b4.

btw i have 04 double cab

im pretty sure i willl b buying the lift today. thanks guys.

ne body else??
Old 07-10-2009, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive had spacers on both of my tacomas. Ive never really had any complaints about them. The ride doesnt seem any worse to me. On my 95.5 i had Skyjacker aluminum coil spring spacers. On my 2004 currently i am running Daystar urethane spacers. Ive been happy with both of them. I occasionaly do some light wheeling and i have never had any issues. Hope that helps a little.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:52 AM

i defiantly like hearing that! thanks. i suppose ill be getting the lift today