Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solid axle swap

Wanna get some advice for a solid axle swap on my 93 yota truck on a budget
Old 04-12-2011, 01:43 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Welcome to YT.
FYI: I moved your post to newbie tech. There is tons of info on SAS here.
My biggest suggestion is to search/ read other conversions to avoid others mistakes
Find a mini truck axle, 84-85 is considered the strongest factory axles.
Keep it low
For cheap flexible springs up front: rears up front-

Good luck: all the info is here for you.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 AM

What you mean by mini truck,any idea on much it could cost the conversion to solid axle
Old 04-12-2011, 02:13 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Toyota mini trucks 79-85 had factory straight axles.
Cost is all relative to how much work you can do yourself and how cheap you find parts.
It could cost you $500-2500. More if you have a shop do it.
Cheapest part of an SAS is doing the research.

Why do you want a straight axle?

Last edited by dropzone; 04-12-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:03 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Raul Valle
\,any idea on much it could cost the conversion to solid axle
depends on your skill. Ive seen em done for free, also seen some that cost 3-5k.

I feel that if you have to ask these questions, your nor ready for a SFA. THe factory IFS is pretty capable. Wheel the truck how it is now, learn how it works, and when your ready for SFA youll have alot better idea what youll be looking for.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:29 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RE-RE
d
I feel that if you have to ask these questions, your nor ready for a SFA. THe factory IFS is pretty capable. Wheel the truck how it is now, learn how it works, and when your ready for SFA youll have alot better idea what youll be looking for.

take the money you would put into a SAS, put it towards a rear locker, sliders, and bumpers... then wheel the bajesus outta it.

Last edited by Tofer; 04-12-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:01 AM

Thanks for all the replys on my question,personally I think a solid axle is much better and stronger
Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
It is, but you dont always need that strength. Whats your end plans for the truck?

Whats your history with wheeling/toyotas where you think you NEED a solid axle right off the bat?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:25 AM

I drive my truck everyday but I also wanna be able to go off roading anytime I wanna go on a reliable truck
Old 04-12-2011, 10:53 AM

the ifs is still pretty durable, wheel it like it is and save up your money for lockers, gears, armor etc. then go for the sas later on. thats what im doing and thats probably what everyone else is gonna tell you too
Old 04-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Sponsor

as a trail-gear dealer, i'm more than willing to sell you everything you need to do the SAS... but as someone who's currently DD'ing a solid axled rig, i'd wait until you have a dedicated daily driver and then SAS it to make it a wheeler... SAS'ing to increase reliability is an oxymoron when it comes to DD'ing it.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:02 AM

tofer, have you ever lived in arizona
Old 04-15-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I lived in Utah for 7 years and my 86 IFS got me everywhere I ever wanted to go. I did no "hard core" offroading, but I took it up the canyon and followed the roads wherever they took me, to get back down into the valley. Southern Utah was also no problem. I wasn't trying to climb up 20' boulders. But I was definitely on rough roads with rock ledges, big rocks to get over and around, and rough hill climbs. But any kind of dirt road anyone who clearly knows nothing about SFA would be driving, would be no problem with IFS.

There's nothing more reliable about SFA's. I'll admit I don't know much, but after having IFS trucks, and now an 83, I can say that for anything short of hardcore rock crawling, I see no benefit to SFA's, except that people who don't know much think I'm cool.

Toyotas are built tough. IFS starts getting beat up in Hard Core offroading. It's not some flimsy tin crap that will fall apart when you hit a pot hole. Desert racing trucks specifically use IFS.

I think people are just pointing out the obvious here...if you have to ask, you don't need it. Save your money for better upgrades. An IFS truck with lockers, sliders, and good tires is going to go a lot of places and get a lot less beat up than my truck, which is a mostly stock SFA truck.

Last edited by 83; 04-15-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raul Valle
I drive my truck everyday but I also wanna be able to go off roading anytime I wanna go on a reliable truck
What exactly does this mean? Depending on the off roading that you are going to do, you don't need a SAS, research the King Of The Hammers race and take a look at how many of those trucks are reliable and running IFS, SAS doesn't mean that it is going to be reliable, you can brake a stock birfield just as easily as a stock CV. That being said, I am not bashing on SAS, I hope to one day SAS my truck but plenty can be done on IFS.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by shaunneuhaus95
tofer, have you ever lived in arizona
Nope...
Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 AM

seriously just leave it how it is for now. get a locker and some meaty tires.

there are quite a few guys on here that wheel the piss out of their IFS and hold up just fine.

Me being one of them, i haven't broke anything yet (knock on wood)
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.off-road.com/competition/...ers-53149.html

Check out Shannon Campbell's winning KOH truck. Particularly notice the front end... :-D

My buddy and I have broken just about every IFS component there is over the last several months. We recently LOWERED his truck because he had beaten his 4" diff drop back about six inches and rendered it totally undriveable. I've popped four CVs and two axle stubs. My buddy blew his front spider gears (though to be fair to the front end, also his rear 8" diff at the same time).
Point is, yeah you're gonna break some stuff. But you'll break it on a SFA truck too. Those stock birfs pop if you look at em funny. And leak when they aint breakin.
I picked Blazeland long travel over an SAS, and I'm extremely happy with it. With lockers in both diffs (though doing it again I'd limited slip the front) and no fear of balancing on two wheels a lot of the time, I got my stock height IFS truck everywhere I wanted to take it. Superstition Mountain, Sidewinder, Bronco Peak, Callbox Hill at Truckhaven, whatever. Now, with the long travel, the thing's unstoppable. Not to mention it rides like a dream on the street and eats up woops and washes waaaaayyy faster than the vast majority of SAS rigs.

Here's the thread that's got a couple pics of my rig...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...-paces-233169/

Don't mean to dissuade you entirely, SAS rigs can be sweeeeeet. But they're not the only way to go and it's probably not something you should do until you've explored your stock suspension and considered all your upgrade options. (and everybody else is spot on- an SAS truck with no armor or gearing and open diffs just won't keep up with a locked, geared, armored IFS truck)

Happy wheelin!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:00 PM

sfa trucks definitely ride way rough.
Speed bumps... forget it.
Just mob what ya got
Old 04-15-2011, 01:21 PM

DD is DD no matter what state you live in. I DD a 4runner but when i get sick of it i have 3 other cars plus my bike to choose from to drive to and from work. I get tired of driving mine to and from work and i only drive 5 miles one way....
Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
IFS is as as capable as you drive it....

Quick Reply: solid axle swap