Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

And so it begins... 89 22RE PU.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And so it begins... 89 22RE PU.

Hi there.
Name is Meredith.

And I have a problem with bringing home project cars.

Thing is, they are usually classic VWs. Brought home 4 of those so far, but I just sold my last runner which was a 66 squareback and bought myself something that actually has a radiator and has more than 66 horsepower.

And here is the ad:

And here is the reality:

Owner knocked down the price to $2200. Truck has almost 163,000 actually. Needs new windshield (hence price reduction), shifter won't go into 1st and 2nd on occasion, and the truck is leaking oil from somewhere. Looks like it has some gasket maker around what I assume is called the oil pan. Probably leaking from there. At least. First up, shifting, proper books, windshield, and addressing the oil leak. Probably in that order.

I called around and it was suggested the slave cylinder is losing pressure. Boy, do I need a good book for this truck! My VW knowledge just gave me a fail. Hydraulic clutch, here we go!

So I need ideas on the shifting, and I want to know what books you guys like for the truck. PS, no, the truck doesn't look that nice in person. But it seems like a good start.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it looks like you have a good idea of what needs to be done and you already found the best toyota resourse out there, Yotatech. I personally have no toyota books. I get all of my information from searching through this site.
Good Luck and welcome to yotatech!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
He's right.

search, search, search and YE shall find.

welcome to YOTATECH...chances are someone has already done what you need to do or has asked the same questions you will need answered. The 22re is an easy engine to work on...even for a new guy like me....but that oil pan can be and is a pain in the lugnuts to get off.....there are a few write-ups just about that and I'm currently in the process myself of doing it.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:19 PM

Welcome you have come to the right place

First off no need to spend money on a book all you need is right here. Click this link https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...-years-156128/ free book. As for this site just use the search feature as the others have said. Myself just recently swapped out my 22re for a rebuilt one and I have not asked any questions yet and that is the first serious thing I have had to do to my 86 runner for the last 3 years I have owned it.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Try replacing the shifter seat and bushing, the stock parts often wear out and cause shifting problems. You can order a new shifter seat and bushing from marlin crawler, and there alot better quality than the stock parts.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 PM

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get started.
And wow on the manual.

Oh, and I one more thing, are there many other women on this forum? I know in VW land they were few and far between. I'm sure my husband will roll his eyes to see I have joined another forum. Hehehe. By the way, I am the one with the greasy toolbox in this house. He pays to have his oil changed.

I am checking into the Marlin Crawler site right now.

Last edited by aveyinc; 02-17-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:47 PM

There are a few women here. Wow a role change! Im sure there are some guys that would be jealous more in common on subjects.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:50 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
habanero and lysmachia to name 2 female wrenchers that I know of.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yotatech is an amazing place. You will enjoy your stay. The links, tips and humor is all top notch.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:04 PM

Welcome to YT, Mine did the same thing 2 years ago, it turned out to be the slave. easy fix
Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 PM

Nice! welcome to YT!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:17 PM

Well, I am going to order the clutch slave cylinder and the heavy duty bushing and ball seat from marlincrawler.com and was also looking though the posted PDF manual to find something I thought odd... there doesn't seem to be a gasket on the oil pan, just a sealant. I'm kinda surprised. What do you guys like for this seal?

Also, the rubber seal around my windshield is beat. Where do you guys like your window seals from? I would like to keep the chrome trim if I can. Rubber seals in general could use a little freshening. The windshield is cracked into illegal land, and I would like to get that done fairly soon too. Or is it okay to just leave this one up to a glass shop. Please school me on the best shops. My mind is wide open and in want of proper forum teaching.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:18 PM

If I can find some free time in the daylight hours, I'll gladly get some photos for you guys tomorrow too.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM

Most people just use a RTV gasket maker for the oil pan. And I am not sure about the windshield trim, most people on this forum are fond of Toyota OEM parts.

Here is a good site to look at...

http://www.toyodiy.com/

If you go to the parts section there are exploded diagrams for the entire truck and part numbers for everything.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:30 PM

i just cant belive the price i probably couldnt find that up here for under 4000
Old 02-19-2010, 07:59 AM

Well, pictures will have to be today... and I took the truck over to visit with local Toyota nut... and he says it is the clutch and not a cylinder or bushing. Sigh. Dude says he'll give me a good used clutch if I want to try in myself. We'll see.

On an up note, found a good uncracked dash in a junk yard, and replaced a dented fender with one I found there too. The correct color and everything. So, I gotta ask, is there more than one way to skin a dash, or does the whole thing have to come out. That was hell to pull out yesterday. Pictures I take later will be more helpful.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Old 02-19-2010, 08:41 PM

New windshield is on the way. I have the camper shell that did all the damage to the paint in the backyard. I would love to give this truck a respray after all those graphic are gone. You know... after everything else. Ha. But I will say this truck has zero real rust. Almost negative rust. First time I have ever been able to say that about a vehicle of mine.

By the way, the other car just visible in a few of the photos is my husband's 88 Honda Accord DX hatchback. Love that car. It looks like late 80s early 90s here at my house.

Last edited by aveyinc; 02-19-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 PM

I should also mention a discovery while washing the truck yesterday... the faint outline of an abandoned vehicle sticker. D'oh! This would explain all the little missing interior bits like the ashtray, cig lighter outlet, light cover, etc. A car left by the highway in Arizona will get picked clean in a day. Seriously!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand your desire for a book. Us VW people sometimes don't realize how spoiled we are with the Idiot's Guide. I wish Mr Muir had been around Toyotas!

That said, yotatech is a great resource for stuff, and people here seem pretty willing to post up photos of their projects as they do them. It's almost as good .

There seem to be a LOT of people here with Volkswagen experience as well, so you should find yourself right at home.

Welcome!

MC (64 baja , 64, 67, 69, 71 Super, 68 type 1s, 72 bus... it's an addiction).

Quick Reply: And so it begins... 89 22RE PU.