Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Removing lift from 96 tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing lift from 96 tacoma

Hi everyone, I am new here and new to tacomas, and never really wrenched on a 4x4 just a variety of cars mostly subaru. custom built turbo systems, transmission conversions etc. I just bought a '96 tacoma 3.4 extra cab with a ton of lift. I'm not sure exactly how much but it's way too much for me. supposedly it has a 5" tuff country lift, as well as aftermarket coilovers although I cannot verify this. the rear leafs seem too burly to be stock, could be addaleafs I guess. and there are big gay blocks in there. here is a link to the tuff country site and it looks like the one.

http://www.tuffcountry.com/suspensio...lift-kits.html

I'd like to take it off as the alignment is messed up and the tires are cambered like a slammed swing axle bug. driving 120 miles home on the bumpy highways was a white knuckle affair and the seller couldn't believe I was going to do it.

Q's:
-is it a matter of pulling the lift parts off and reinstalling the LCA's, shocks, etc in their factory locations?

-in installation of the lift, are there any stock parts critical to the suspension system that are removed as part of the lift installation?

-these lifts are advertised as bolt on, so nothing needs to have been cut out when they installed it right?

-do any of those lift parts replace factory ones that I would be causing problems using them in a more stock suspension? rear u bolts is a given.

-are those knuckles with the huge riser for the upper ball joint an aftermarket item with non stock geometry or just a beefed up stock one?

-Is this lift kit worth anything to sell secondhand? I'd like to sell off some of the trinkets from the truck to fund some tires and maintenance items.

I'm sure that I am leaving out some critical information pertaining to my truck, as well as pictures of the setup which are forthcoming. please tell me what info is required to answer my questions.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-17-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language removed
Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 AM

Here is one guy that did it. His was a Fabtech, but same idea.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148011

Good info. about this at post #6 and #58 of that thread.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:26 PM

thanks. that dude had to have a stock crossmember piece welded back in, and the tuff country lift also requires cutting as I have seen from reading the instructions available on their website. bummer, this will be more involved than I thought. maybe a sas is in order lol.

Last edited by sonic reducer; 05-17-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Read the instructions for the installation of that lift...
http://www.tuffcountry.com/NewFiles/54900.pdf

The stock crossmembers were definitely cut out to install it.
Its just a necessary step in ALL of the 5-6" lifts for that era truck.
The front diff wouldn't be able to drop down to where it needs to be without cutting the stock crossmembers out.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 PM

yup, started reading that just after my last post a few seconds ago but you caught me. should have done that from the get go. there are even some pretty decent photos and descriptions of the work. looks like I'm SOL, either the lift stays or I go sas.
man, these drop bracket lifts are HOKEY.

Last edited by sonic reducer; 05-17-2012 at 07:15 PM.