Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Pro Comp EXPK5055B 4" suspension lift kit feedback for new guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
I personally suggest you stay away from 4Wheelparts because it's better to support our vendors on here which are a 1000xs more experienced and knowledgeable about Toyotas. I have had some really awful experiences with 4WP and would never recommend them to anyone. They are the Walmart of the off road world IMO - but worse
What do you mean 4wheelparts is a walmart store. They sell every brand of lift for the IFS trucks and they are all pretty much the same, so I don't know what you mean. They had the cheapest prices around, saved myself just a little over a grand by the time I got my lift and body lift to my door.

As far as his 4 ich body lift goes, leave it in the truck if you like it, unless your gonna have your truck pretty much on its side when your wheeling take it out. I had one on my 89 V8 never had a problem with body movement till I started jumping it, then the only thing that happened was I drove 5 BL mounts throught the frist layer of the cup mounted to the bottom of the floor, never came through the floor, pushed it up a little tho. I pounded the ˟˟˟˟ out of the truck, the top of the two front seat where about 4 inch's closer the they were before, floor was bent down in the middle cause I had a friend with me jumping it, it was a bogging truck but it was in really good shape too.

Quote:
I don't have pics of my opinions, but my opinions do come from my experiences. A drop bracket drops the attachment point of the lower control arms. That means less ground clearance than it had before. You can make that up with larger tires, but that's the tires lifting you, not the lift (this is regarding the front only). I gained clearance with both my lift and my tires.

How is it less clearence, As far as the drop bracket lifts, YOU DO NOT LOSS ANY GROUND CLEARENCE WITH THAT LIFT KIT AND YOU GAIN ALOT OF CENTER CLEARENCE. I know my truck will go through pretty much anything I point it at, unless you want a rock truck then IFS IS NOT FOR THAT. I would have got stuck, I know for sure in some of the stuff I go through if I didn't have the lift. Do it up.
And what does IMO stand for?

Quote:
All-in-all, summed up, "Bracket Lifts and IFS are for pansies, mall crawlers and people who just don't understand real wheeling,
what other lifts are you talking about, SAS?
Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
While the drop bracket lowerws the pivot point of the lower arms, in order to stay functional the drop bracket also loweres the wheels with a 4 inch balljoint spacer on a new knuckle. Ground clearance isn't gained, except breakover, until you put on larger tires. Actually, you never gain clearance with any suspension system until you put on larger tires.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
an ifs truck on 35's is gonna have more ground clearance than a SFA or SAS truck on 35's. Nuff said. lol. At least up front, rear will be identical.

And for those who said IFS is for pansies and ones who don't understand real wheeling? Maybe they should look up SCORE, Trophy Truck, or try saying that over on DezertRangers.

Because there is more to wheeling than just rocks.

oh, and BTW, this is an IFS truck !!!!!!!!! Go ahead and call scuba a pansie.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100...9-11-a-227335/

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131147

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-16-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by RedMudBogger
Quote:
Quote:
All-in-all, summed up, "Bracket Lifts and IFS are for pansies, mall crawlers and people who just don't understand real wheeling,
what other lifts are you talking about, SAS?
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
And for Ardent who said IFS is for pansies and ones who don't understand real wheeling? Maybe he should look up SCORE, Trophy Truck, or try saying that over on DezertRangers.

Because there is more to wheeling than just rocks.

oh, and BTW, this is an IFS truck !!!!!!!!! Go ahead and call scuba a pansie.

LOL

You guys crack me up. Apparently my SARCASM was lost on you. Did you not see my 5 pics of ME wheeling MY IFS rig? I put that statement in "quotes" as if someone else were saying it.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:20 AM

gotta defend our own. Reread it again and yeah you seem to be right, someone took it out of context and I went with it. haha. sorry bout that. gonna change it.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Please do note I never knocked IFS, but bracket lifts for IFS.
Plenty of good IFS stuff and a lot better than bracket lifts for the same money or less.

As Charlie Brown would say, "It was a sarcasm Violet".

Ready. Fire. Aim.

:wabbit2:
Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 AM

We know wabbit, I am sort of against bracket lifts as well, but I still don't really understand why people are so against them, I mean I can understand the body lift thing, but what is really bad about the bracket lifts other than cost.

I guess a better alternative would be a LT system for the ifs guys, but even the blazeland kit runs about the same as a new bracket lift. And then you still have to grab yourself new cv's and widen the rear some how. And I know some people are against spacers.

What I really wanna see on the market, is a kit to convert the Torsion IFS trucks to coilover without having to use an LT kit like TC's. This would make it really easy to lift an IFS truck, you just have to deal with the cv angles.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-16-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
I don't have pics of my opinions, but my opinions do come from my experiences. A drop bracket drops the attachment point of the lower control arms. That means less ground clearance than it had before. You can make that up with larger tires, but that's the tires lifting you, not the lift (this is regarding the front only). I gained clearance with both my lift and my tires.

Perhaps on the newer setups it lowers the GC (although I can't see how) but even that lowering of the LCAs is offset by an equal lowering of the spindle. GC is static during this lift (between the front tires) as it is with any SA lift.

Yes.

Ok, glad we've got our comparisons down.

I'm not an expert by any means on the earlier IFS trucks, but I know on the Tacos you have to cut out a lot and it cannot be returned to stock unless you get a donor vehicle or save and reweld the parts you cut off. If this is different for the older trucks then I stand corrected.

Again, sounds like a difference between model years. Returning the IFS to stock on an early IFS rig would require welding that single tab back on. Not a lot of modification in the scheme of things.

This is what the OP said..."but id like a suspension lift to get more clearance and articulation for off roading here in alaska." IMO and many others', a DB lift doesn't put out as well in either of those areas as the other options out there do. I thought he wanted to really wheel this thing, at least that's what I got out of that statement.

Again with the "really wants to wheel" thing. I know you're on IFS, and opinions are like buttholes, but come on! What's your definition of "Real Wheeling" that my truck with a Bracket Lift can't do that the same truck with BJ Spacers could?

I have IFS so I'm not saying that. I'm saying that lifting an IFS with a DB lift is the worst way to go for a suspension lift IMO. I don't have pics why I think that, but I've seen how well they perform compared to my and others' IFS rigs and I've never been impressed - especially for the cost. A DB lift for my truck is about twice as expensive and less capable. They may be cheaper for the older trucks, but I do not believe they are as capable off road. That lowered crossbar is a shelf to catch rocks on IMO.

Are you running a LT kit or just BJ Spacers? Curious of your setup.

I disagree, but that's for the OP to figure out. How does lowering that crossbar and the attachment points of the LCAs give you better clearance? I might be missing something with the older trucks' suspension setup, but that's what I see when I look at it.

Already been said, but again, the DB lift doesn't lower your GC. Nor does it improve it. (between the front tires) Running larger tires will. Or even combining a DB lift with BJ Spacers would (but that's a lot of added stress on the Steering components). Let's stop ignoring the GC gained in every other aspect though with a DB lift over BJ spacers- You gain 4" of approach and departure clearance and 4" at the belly with a DB lift, you gain 1.5" with the BJ Spacers (assuming that you lift similar in the rear).

Maybe they are easier to take off on the earlier trucks, but I do know for a fact I can return mine to stock in ~1 hour if need be. DBs even on the older trucks need permanent modification to be installed AFAIK- even if it only means cutting off tabs like you mentioned earlier.

Do the BJ spacers require cutting up the UCAs on the newer IFS rigs like they do on the older ones? Just curious. Yes, a BJ Spacer lift could be returned to stock easier and fast that a DB lift could. However, returning a DB lift to "Stock" would not be a difficult undertaking.

I wheel a lot too, on my IFS so I give plenty of credit to IFS. I surprise lots of Jeep guys with what mine does. But I also know that I have made it up and over stuff that people with DB lifts in my group have gotten hung up on. All this talk is just people's opinions, and that's fine, I just think there are better options out there. YMMV.
There are so many more variables that just the type of lift when comparing capabilities of rigs. My unlocked DB IFS lifted '93 pickup on 33" tires has gone over obstacles my brother's 8" SAS, Locked F/R '95 Bronco on 38" tires couldn't get over. So therefore a DB lift on 33's must be more capable than a SSAS'd Bronco on 38's.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:49 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Comparing a Ford to a Toyota doesn't prove anything but what we already knew about the Ford.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:07 AM

gotta defend our own. Reread it again and yeah you seem to be right, someone took it out of context and I went with it. haha. sorry bout that. gonna change it.
No worries. Not offended.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Please do note I never knocked IFS, but bracket lifts for IFS.
Plenty of good IFS stuff and a lot better than bracket lifts for the same money or less.

As Charlie Brown would say, "It was a sarcasm Violet".

Ready. Fire. Aim.

Nope, just bracket lifts were mentioned. But you didn't mention any of the other IFS options out there; instead you just pointed him toward SAS. (Again, maybe not a wrong option, but maybe not the one for him) This certainly implies that a SAS is better than IFS for all applications. At least this is what could be inferred.

Also, please note- I'm all for doing a SAS if that's what's needed to make a rig perform the way you want it to. Just trying to point out that it is not the ONLY option and that DB lifts aren't as terrible as people make them out to be.

We know wabbit, I am sort of against bracket lifts as well, but I still don't really understand why people are so against them, I mean I can understand the body lift thing, but what is really bad about the bracket lifts other than cost.

I guess a better alternative would be a LT system for the ifs guys, but even the blazeland kit runs about the same as a new bracket lift. And then you still have to grab yourself new cv's and widen the rear some how. And I know some people are against spacers.

What I really wanna see on the market, is a kit to convert the Torsion IFS trucks to coilover without having to use an LT kit like TC's. This would make it really easy to lift an IFS truck, you just have to deal with the cv angles.
The blazeland kit looks great, but it's hardly the same cost as a DB lift. I spent right at $1000 on my DB lift- all new with shocks, brake lines and new rear leaf springs. The Blazeland kit starts at $1000 for just:

Blazeland Long Arm Kit: $999 Plus S.& H. and tax if applicable.
1. Modified / Rebuilt L.C.A.s w/ new poly bushings
2. Modified / Rebuilt U.C.A.s w/ new poly bushings
3. U.C.A. Extension Brackets w/ Hardware
4. Hex Bar Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves w/ Jam Nuts
5. D.O.T. 18" S.S. Brakelines w/ Hardware

Then you have to address:
Shocks- $150(budget) 265 (Reccommended bilsteins)
Torsion Bars- $220 from Sway-a-way
and CV axles- $150-300? Depending on Toyota or AM.
Rear suspension- New leafs? $200-400? 63" Chevys? $100 + fab?

So now we're at 1000+150+220+150+100=1620 Budget
Or 1000+265+220+300+300= 2085 not-so-budget.

The LT kit might ABSOLUTELY be the right suspension, but really weigh all the costs. This LT is still significantly more expensive than a DB lift.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Comparing a Ford to a Toyota doesn't prove anything but what we already knew about the Ford.

True... Just showing the problem with comparing one rig's capabilities to another's when only looking at lift and tire size.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 AM

I know there is only a few advantage's to Solid axle's, and that is articulation(rock truck), taller suspension lifts, and cheaper to lift. There is no extra ground clearence at all. IFS actually has more clearance up front. I know my truck rides alot better than ANY SAS or leaf spring suspension truck out there and I can go anywhere a SAS truck can with my IFS as long as it is not rock crawling.

Last edited by RedMudBogger; 02-16-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 AM

at almost $3000 to do an SAS I wouldn't exactly call that cheaper to lift. Unless we are talking an SFA pre-86 truck.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 AM

at almost $3000 to do an SAS I wouldn't exactly call that cheaper to lift. Unless we are talking an SFA pre-86 truck.
I am sorry but that is what I meant if you had pre-86 truck. My bad.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:37 AM

go to www.rockymountainsusp.com or www.suspensionconnection.com they both have lots of lift options for our trucks i have one just like yours an 86 single cab and those are the 2 places im considering getting a lift from. hope that helps ya out let me know when you check them out.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:45 PM

I looked at rocky mountain and the prices are good, but I'd wish they'd give you mre of a description on the lift. Cause idk whether or not it's gonna be for torsion bars or no. Granted I'm a newb when it comes to yotas. But I like superflift cause a buddy got one for his ranger. But the pro comp one was really the only one I could find that said it's for torsion bars.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing wrong with bracket lifts if you want to put bigger meats on. If you want more articulation out of the torsion bar IFS, use the bracket lift, BJ spacers and sway bar disconnects.

Adjust the front suspension to the IFS lift directions. Using the ball joint spacers with the bracket lift can give you more articulation IF you follow the directions of the bracket lift! What the spacers do is give you the desired lift of the bracket lift without cranking the torsion bars up as far as you would without the BJ spacers. Example would be if the bracket lift is a 4" lift and the directions tell you to measure from point A to point B to get the 4" lift, with the BJ spacers that give you 1" of lift, measure from point A to B to 3" instead and you will have 4" of lift. The truck will have less "pre-load" on the torsion bars making it easier to articulate and make a softer ride. I know this from experience because I did it to my 4Runner and it rides smoother and it flexes better that without the BJ spacers.

I hope I did not confuse anyone! Oh and ditch the 4" body lift! The max I would go is 3" and that is if I want to put bigger meats like 38" tires which I DO NOT RECOMMEND! Max size I would go on a torsion bar IFS is 35" but the nominal would be 33".

James
Old 02-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brian2sun
... Like Wabbit said, the drop bracket lifts are for the mall - not for better off road ability. They actually reduce your ground clearance from stock.....
This is just flat out wrong, sorry. They won't help clearance under the axles but they sure as heck wouldn't reduce it. They will give you more room for bigger tires which WILL help clearance under the axles and they will help clearance under the tranny by 4 inches.

Nothing wrong with 4WP either, I just got 2 pair of shocks from them free shipping to my door in 2 days at the best price I found on the web and if I needed to return them there is no charge if I go to the local OKC store here. I've always had good service from 4WP, I bought my winch, front and rear ARB lockers there too.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:38 PM

So JamesD, I'm slightly confused...are you saying BJ spacers are better or not really needed? It kinda made sense. But it's still hazy
Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM

And I have 35s on it now and deffinetly don't plan on going bigger. But I'm just gonna leave the BL on for now and if I regret it I'll learn from it.

Quick Reply: Pro Comp EXPK5055B 4" suspension lift kit feedback for new guy