Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Oil Water mix, but not head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Water mix, but not head gasket?

Hi,

My Toyota is a 1990 2wd, 22r, with approximately 250k on the motor, 6k on a new head gasket I installed last year (machined the head at a shop to fix warp). I'm not sure exactly what carburetor I have... but it works fine! I think its stock.

As the cold weather started up out where I work, my truck is doing something strange.

• I start the truck, run it for 20 minutes or so, get to my destination. When I get there, my carburetor is all gunked up with oil/water milkshake. It's entering through the breather tube from the valve cover.

I checked the oil pan, no water. I took off the valve cover to clean out "milkshake," but it's normal (black) oil only in the valve chamber...

Anyone else have this problem? I'm hopeful it's not the head gasket and just some condensation forming up somewhere.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 AM
osv

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
what does the bottom of the oil fill cap on the valve cover look like? and the bottom of the radiator cap? is there milkshake under those locations as well?

not sure why you'd have a carb on '90 22re? sounds like somebody did a hack job, i don't think that's a factory setup, but i could be wrong, just never seen or heard of it.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by osv
what does the bottom of the oil fill cap on the valve cover look like? and the bottom of the radiator cap? is there milkshake under those locations as well? not sure why you'd have a carb on '90 22re? sounds like somebody did a hack job, i don't think that's a factory setup, but i could be wrong, just never seen or heard of it.
If you noticed its a 2WD lol.. They still had carbs....
Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 AM
osv

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
If you noticed its a 2WD lol.. They still had carbs....
that's hillbilly **** right there lol

thx for the update
Old 09-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by osv
what does the bottom of the oil fill cap on the valve cover look like? and the bottom of the radiator cap? is there milkshake under those locations as well?

not sure why you'd have a carb on '90 22re? sounds like somebody did a hack job, i don't think that's a factory setup, but i could be wrong, just never seen or heard of it.
Bottom of the oil fill cap had milkshake on it. Radiator cap is clean.

As for the hack job... yes... whoever I bought this PU from did NOT take care of it. It's been much happier under my care. It was pretty much ziptied to the frame.

Another detail I failed to mention, but I think it's probably the culprit to my problem... The air filter pan (wingnut) was not screwed down onto the top of the carb as it should have been. It was pretty loose, letting cold moist air in underneath the filter into the carb..

The only part I cannot explain is why the breather tube? Why would it have a buildup of water?
Old 09-30-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Excessive moisture into the crank case...

After reading the thread you seem to have possibly stumbled onto your culprit. If there was an opening in the air/breather box assembly allowing moisture at one time or another may have made its way down into the crank case VIA the crank case ventilation hoses/passages.

I would re-change the engine oil and filter and clean/secure your air filter/element/assembly box and operate the engine monitoring fluids and their respective levels.

Check timing chain components.

-Worn timing chain components could have caused timing cover passage damage allowing coolant into the crank case.