Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

no power to coil

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:14 PM
rza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no power to coil

ok I am working on a friends 22re in a 86 pickup... I am not getting 12volts to coil when ing. is on. there is 1.2 volts coming from the power wire going to the coil. this is the only prob. because when i hot wire the coil ( battery straight to the coil) it starts and runs. checked all fuses and replaced ign. still no power. what i need is a laymens explaination of where the wires go backwards from the coil to the powersource or a relay that could be the problem. thanks, I have been tring for 2 months to find this gremlin

ok no replys yet... can some one tell me if one of the 3 wire connector coming over the motor from the efi side and and pluging in the coil side of the motor is suppling power to the coil in any way?

Last edited by rza; 04-29-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the ignition fuse behind the driver side kick panel, somethimes the fuse socket can get corroded causing a power loss to the ignition. I had this problem on my 86 4Runner.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by rza
ok I am working on a friends 22re in a 86 pickup... I am not getting 12volts to coil when ing. is on. there is 1.2 volts coming from the power wire going to the coil. this is the only prob. because when i hot wire the coil ( battery straight to the coil) it starts and runs. checked all fuses and replaced ign. still no power. what i need is a laymens explaination of where the wires go backwards from the coil to the powersource or a relay that could be the problem. thanks, I have been tring for 2 months to find this gremlin

ok no replys yet... can some one tell me if one of the 3 wire connector coming over the motor from the efi side and and pluging in the coil side of the motor is suppling power to the coil in any way?
Have you managed to solve this one? I'm having the exact same problem with my 91 4Runner 22RE

I've actually been rebuilding it since October 2010, and your battery to coil hack was what let me start it for the first time since then
Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
with the ignition on you should have power at the positive side of the coil , if not check the wires and fuses between the coil and the ignition switch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2systemci.pdf (15.4 KB, 438 views)
Old 09-03-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by RMA
with the ignition on you should have power at the positive side of the coil , if not check the wires and fuses between the coil and the ignition switch.
Heh, yeah. Fuses are all good, so tomorrow is going to be wire tracing and testing. And possibly working my way through the ECM. Really hoping I don't have to do that though, that thing is awkward and hard to test with standard voltmeter tips!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM

i was haveing this prob tell i pulled the rotor cap an found copper wire rapped around the shaft the Pick-up coil had come apart an the copper wire in side some how come out .. this is on my 92 - 22reToyota pick-up.. But i found this 2 day Is there anyone that know how to set the spacing for the pick-up coil?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tremaine
Heh, yeah. Fuses are all good, so tomorrow is going to be wire tracing and testing. And possibly working my way through the ECM. Really hoping I don't have to do that though, that thing is awkward and hard to test with standard voltmeter tips!

I apparently forgot to come back and update this thread! I found the issue and have since moved on to some new and more complicated ones

I essentially started stripping back the wiring harness and stripping the wires back from the connector after one slipped loose from the connector that leads to the igniter - the copper on it was absolutely black and brittle. Turns out that wire was burned for nearly 4' inside the insulation! Replaced the entire 4' of the harness, and voila. Voltage where it should be
Old 03-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bonez420
i was haveing this prob tell i pulled the rotor cap an found copper wire rapped around the shaft the Pick-up coil had come apart an the copper wire in side some how come out .. this is on my 92 - 22reToyota pick-up.. But i found this 2 day Is there anyone that know how to set the spacing for the pick-up coil?
I have the page for that, but not immediately handy. I should be able to help later tonight though, so I'll re-check the thread in case someone else beats me to it.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:51 PM

Ok thanks alot ya i am just steping off in to this .. i have been with nissans for some time got out of the doing 100+'s on the highways .. cops dont like that to much.. lol