Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Newb with fuel filter question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb with fuel filter question

Hello! I'm new to this forum and to toyotas. I just bought an 85 pick-up 4x4 for my son (he's 13) and he and I would like to fix it up for him so it's ready to go when he's of driving age. He and I are very excited. I'm a pretty decent mechanic and I'm teaching him the stuff I've learned and am learning.

As I mentioned, the truck is an 85 with the 22r carbureted engine. It is a 5-speed and 4x4. The truck had been sitting for 4 years due to owner losing interest after a crash (cosmetic damage only).

Once we got it home, We changed the fluids, performed a tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter), and got it to running very well except for it occasionally dies. Sometimes it will crank right back, other times you must pour fuel into the carb to get it started.

I realize this is a fuel delivery problem, and I realize I must get rid of the stale gasoline. I also realize I must change the fuel filter. However, this is where my question comes in. I performed a search in a couple of forums here and read numerous threads. I have combed both the Chilton's manual and the Haynes manual's I've purchased and all answers point to the fuel filter in the engine compartment or at the fuel tank. There is no fuel filter on this truck unless it is ON TOP OF THE TANK. I traced the lines from the tank, under the truck up to where they seperate. One goes to the charcoal canister, the other goes under the intake, makes a turn and goes to the fuel pump. It all looks factory. Is it on top of the tank? IT IS NOT IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. I'm at a loss.

I will drain the tank this evening after I drop the skid plate. But I swear I cannot find the fuel filter unless the p.o. removed it. I'd like to get the bad gas out and a new filter in before I proceed with carb and fuel pump issues since it runs so well when it does run. I'm sorry for the long first post, but I wanted you guys to know I did my homework. Thank you for any help.

Chuck
Old 02-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Nic

Chuck,

I believe the 22R and 22RE engines had the fuel filter mounted under the intake manifold on the engine block. It can be difficult to see and it is definitely difficult to remove from what I hear. You might want to check again. Hopefully, the previous owner did not remove it.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:25 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...uel+filter+22r

3 last posts. If its carbed its near the gas tank.

Welcome to Yotatech!

Last edited by Aetsen; 02-06-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:58 AM

22r its beside the gas tank on top of the frame rail.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:01 AM

Well, thanks to you guys, I did finally find the fuel filter. It was beside the fuel tank on top of the frame rail in a little spring-type bracket. I guess I should have looked a little harder around the tank. The lines running forward on top of the tank threw me off.

Judging by the condition of the filter (we cut it open), the original owner NEVER changed it. Maybe he couldn't find it either. It was COMPLETELY full (compacted even) with a red mud-type gunk. I can't believe the truck would run at all. I also found that the line going to the carb had chaffed until there was a hole so that also was a problem I'm sure.

We installed a new filter and I trimmed the line. We drained the tank and installed fresh gas. Now the truck just purrs. Thanks again for all the replies. What a great site!

Chuck

Last edited by Colt.85; 02-07-2007 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:55 AM

Good to hear that fixed your problem and truck is running good. Glad I could help.