Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

New YotaRunner Owner, Few Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New YotaRunner Owner, Few Questions???

Just trying to learn a few things that are baffeling to me.

why do some 4R's have the spare tire mounted under rear and some have the swingaway tire rack? do the ones with swing away have a rear fuel tank? Does anybody make a adder fuel cell for that spot?

Being a Chevy owner for the past 29-years I'm very surprised on the lack of power and poor MPG on the Toy, what have you done to increase MPG and HP without going overboard. here in Cali, we have all these damn smog/emissions laws and are damn near thrown in jail for simple modifications. will a new Iridium spark plug, K&N Airfilter, Cold Air Intake, etc help with any of my concerns?

Cooling: what have you done to help with cooling and prevent the Infamous Head Problem? new bigger radiator? higher flow WP? rerouting hoses away from ?, etc...

How would I know if my 4R has had the Heads done yet? the past owner said it has been done already. anything that is a sure sign that they've been rebuilt?

I'm currently running a 31" BFG All Terrain and noticed 27/2800RPM at 65MPH, does that sound right? lower RPM, Higher MPG, but lack of HP will prevent my 4R from everyday driving at lower RPM. just a very small encline on so cal freeway using Cruise Control will down shift to almost 5KRPM just to keep at 65MPH thus getting the engine hotter than normal. seems under powered or under cooled to me. at this rate, if I put my dirtbike on the back, I may not get out of my own driveway. 230K+ miles FYI...

I was looking at the Toyotec 2" coil spring/spacer kit as I have the infamous sag and looks pretty bad, the kit looks promissing, but will I need new longer shocks right away or can I use the stockers for a while?

Also currently have Check Engine light right now. only comes on after been driving for a few miles, then the light comes on and it falls on it own face. loses power badly. again, before the light comes on, it runs fine. I've learned the Paperclip trick and hope to try it this weekend. turn off the key or disco the battery and it clears out for a very short time.

your thoughts...
Old 08-19-2012, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dube2
Just trying to learn a few things that are baffeling to me.

why do some 4R's have the spare tire mounted under rear and some have the swingaway tire rack? do the ones with swing away have a rear fuel tank? Does anybody make a adder fuel cell for that spot?

Being a Chevy owner for the past 29-years I'm very surprised on the lack of power and poor MPG on the Toy, what have you done to increase MPG and HP without going overboard. here in Cali, we have all these damn smog/emissions laws and are damn near thrown in jail for simple modifications. will a new Iridium spark plug, K&N Airfilter, Cold Air Intake, etc help with any of my concerns?

Cooling: what have you done to help with cooling and prevent the Infamous Head Problem? new bigger radiator? higher flow WP? rerouting hoses away from ?, etc...

How would I know if my 4R has had the Heads done yet? the past owner said it has been done already. anything that is a sure sign that they've been rebuilt?

I'm currently running a 31" BFG All Terrain and noticed 27/2800RPM at 65MPH, does that sound right? lower RPM, Higher MPG, but lack of HP will prevent my 4R from everyday driving at lower RPM. just a very small encline on so cal freeway using Cruise Control will down shift to almost 5KRPM just to keep at 65MPH thus getting the engine hotter than normal. seems under powered or under cooled to me. at this rate, if I put my dirtbike on the back, I may not get out of my own driveway. 230K+ miles FYI...

I was looking at the Toyotec 2" coil spring/spacer kit as I have the infamous sag and looks pretty bad, the kit looks promissing, but will I need new longer shocks right away or can I use the stockers for a while?

Also currently have Check Engine light right now. only comes on after been driving for a few miles, then the light comes on and it falls on it own face. loses power badly. again, before the light comes on, it runs fine. I've learned the Paperclip trick and hope to try it this weekend. turn off the key or disco the battery and it clears out for a very short time.

your thoughts...
The swing out tire rack was a factory option you can add one if you like by grabbing one off a runner in the local pick n pull

Assuming you have an automatic, I've experience a huge power loss in the trans. I had 91 3.0 runner and i noticed a better takeoff and passing after a fresh rebuild. And a had a much better power range when I swapped in a Manuel trans. But for a cheaper solution adding carb legal headers was the best bang for buck.

As for the common head problem cooling is only part of the problem. There was a thread on pirate a while back that explained how the fact that the rs exhaust manifold wraps around the back of the motor right next to the heads and connects into the rear of the Ls exhaust manifold causing an excess of back pressure and poor exhaust flow. So a pair of headers helps that problem as well

Your stock shocks will not work with the coil spring kit as they are too short for the amount of droop. If only used on street you may be able to get away with using the stockers for a bit. Plus be careful when lifting the rear too much without lengthening your panhard drop bracket. As it will pull the axle center towards the pass side if you you go higher then stock.

Hope this information helps
Im new to this site but I've be on pirate for many years and have been modding my runner slowly over the past 6 years.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Option on some model 2nd gens.

3.0 is 3.crap is your problem.

www.ncttora.com/fsm

:wabbit2:
Old 08-19-2012, 05:25 PM

I pull a 16" enclosed trailer with 6 bikes,tools,fuel, spares tires, etc and 4 people in the truck with my 3vze on the highway all the time. I can maintain 60 no problem. If you got a yota for power, you made a mistake. Toyotas of our gen were meant to wheel. I drive mine daily and wheel on the weekends, i love it. You learn to be a better driver with these.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:28 PM

as for your cel..get a haynes manual. Do the diagnostics, tell us the code. It kinda sounds like the knock sensor in its early stages.