Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

In need of some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In need of some advice!

Hey guys,

First things first, I apologize if I'm posting this thread in an improper place. But I'm hoping to absorb some yota wisdom. I'm looking to buy a 5th gen pickup. 4x4, 22re, xtra cab. It'll be my daily driver and I'd want to get a camper shell and make the bed somewhat livable for camping and such. I've been looking around on craigslist for many months. All the trucks I've found and have been interested in are priced around $5000-8000. This is for trucks in good condition, with rebuilt engines, mechanically sound. I know these trucks are very sought after but is that a reasonable price? They're blue booked at around $2000-3000 :/ quite a big difference!

Thanks!!
Mel Harper
Old 10-19-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Supply and demand !!

If people are willing to buy those trucks at those prices the sellers will continue to get top dollar

I have no idea what this Blue Book is but it does not seem to be part of the real world

Then I have no idea just what the 5th generation is no doubt sometime between the start and end of production
Old 10-20-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
the "5th generation pickup" you're referencing with a 22re engine is more commonly known as a "3rd gen pickup" -- at least in the USA. Back around 1975-ish, Toyota switched the name of their trucks from Hilux to Pickup during a mid-model update Because of this, those years of truck are still called "Hilux" and the following models from 1979-1995.5 are called "pickups" (from 95.5+ they're Tacoma's in the USA). Personally, I consider the 3rd gen 22re/4wd/5spd/xcab to be one of the most highly sought after Toyotas ever built. It's the newest version of the classic pickup lineup before they switched to the Tacoma. I would almost argue the 1st gen Tacoma is just as sought after since you get the engine upgrade in still a solid pickup, but more importantly it's the last years of the true minitruck body width.

Anyways, what you're seeing is pretty accurate of what they're selling for vs what KBB thinks they're valued at. They're pretty rock-solid vehicles and historically reliable machines that just keep going (recommend you watch the Top Gear Hilux episode). They have a cult-like following and because of all this they typically fetch significantly more than BB values. Compared to other manufacturer's products of comparable years, the used pricing is almost a joke...but then again what's the ratio of Toyotas vs the competition after 30 years of abuse? You could almost buy one and keep it around as a family heirloom for generations of drivers, like many families have already been doing over the last 50+ years! Personally I'm willing to pay a little more for something I know is going to last.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
It's what they go for not what the kbb for. It may be crazy but its reality.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Your location is going to determine some of the pricing on a truck. From my experience as I have worked on several nice trucks that were well cared for, I still find several small issues that got neglected over the years. Most are easily fixed with a little effort. Depending on your mechanical skills and what you are willing to do would determine the price I was willing to pay for a truck. If you dont have the skills to work on one, I would pay a little more for an excellent truck. Shop repairs will easily eat up the cost for a good deal.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Highonpottery and the fishguy are dead on. Market vs. what KBB's algorithm says are two different realities
I really wanted a 3rd Gen (89-95.5) extended cab to replace my 81 Trekker with but the $6-9K good ones in my market go for priced me out.
the $2500 trucks looked like they had been on Top Gear and dropped from a cliff.

They are good trucks, one reason they are 3x's what a comparable ranger goes for .
Old 10-21-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
the "5th generation pickup" you're referencing with a 22re engine is more commonly known as a "3rd gen pickup" -- at least in the USA. Back around 1975-ish, Toyota switched the name of their trucks from Hilux to Pickup during a mid-model update Because of this, those years of truck are still called "Hilux" and the following models from 1979-1995.5 are called "pickups" (from 95.5+ they're Tacoma's in the USA).
Thanks for clearing that up! And yeah, you're absolutely right about the cult like following. These trucks, if they're in solid condition, go for a lot but they are worth it. I'm just reluctant to spend that much money, haha! I just have to find the right one! Thanks =]
Old 10-21-2016, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Your location is going to determine some of the pricing on a truck. From my experience as I have worked on several nice trucks that were well cared for, I still find several small issues that got neglected over the years. Most are easily fixed with a little effort. Depending on your mechanical skills and what you are willing to do would determine the price I was willing to pay for a truck. If you dont have the skills to work on one, I would pay a little more for an excellent truck. Shop repairs will easily eat up the cost for a good deal.
Location is for sure part of it. I'm in the SF Bay Area so they're pretty pricey but I'd be willing to drive a ways or take a bus to pick one up. I don't have much knowledge on working on these trucks but that's what the internet is for!