Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

??? near stock SAS ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??? near stock SAS ???

ok so I realy want a SAS on my truck but I dont want to be sittin sky high I want to be sittin as close to a stock solid axle truck as possible so what is holding me back from getting what I want from lookig around I found what all is hold in me back if Im missig something please let me know ! ! !

- oil pan clearence
- steering box

4crawler has motor mount lift spacers to fix oil pan clearence
and steering box is easy every one makes that

any others that Im missin or is it possible to SAS my truck with no more than 2.5" of lift from stock/factory or am I just wasting my time hoping ?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Minimum is 3" of you won't be able to do high crossover steering...about as low as you can go.

We do offer a 3" SAS kit and rear 3" lift kit to match.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

I thought the whole point of an SAS was to sit up high and look cool?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
run a quick search. This topic has been covered a few times and is actually being discussed in a current thread.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Minimum is 3" of you won't be able to do high crossover steering...about as low as you can go.

We do offer a 3" SAS kit and rear 3" lift kit to match.

but even if I get the 3" kit you have to include the lift from the hanger and shackle so ill end up with 4"-6" not 3"

I was gonna try to use the drop hanger, longest shackle possible, and stock springs from a 79-85 toyota 4x4 (pair of (2) driver side cuz they have more arch then pass) and raise my motor 1" + 1" bodylift to compensate

so even with that I still couldnt clear high steer

(sorry if it sounds rude I just want to make sure I under stand this right before I get to deap in)
Old 02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yup. 3"

Wabbit can hook you up.

You just spent all that money on BJ spacers, and rear springs, gonna cut it all off already?

Nothing wrong with that, just curious why those didn't meet with your expectations.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Sitting up too high with a SAS sucks... it makes you Tippy. (Esp if you don;t have full width axles) Ask me how I know.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
I thought the whole point of an SAS was to sit up high and look cool?
while height looks awesome its not for me Im a practical guy (and my fiance has a hard tim getting in with my 2" lift I have now) and it is my DD so I want to be able to have it more stable
Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cut the hell out of the fenders and/or go full width and have no compression travel and you can keep it really low ... but what's the point? Compression travel is worth 10x droop travel. If you can't fit highsteer, you're losing out on the prime strength advantage of going SFA.

What trail are you trying to run ?

Come 'wheeling with Isaac and I - you might change your mind about IFS and spend all this money on stuff that will actually make the truck more capable -namely lockers, gears, and armor.

Last edited by tc; 02-06-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Sitting up too high with a SAS sucks... it makes you Tippy. (Esp if you don;t have full width axles) Ask me how I know.
exactlly thank you I used to have a 82 yota 4x4 with a 5" lift and it ws the scaryest thing to drive on the highway
Old 02-06-2008, 03:13 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Note that Molly's rig is the second lowest SAS I have seen. The only one lower I have personally seen has full width axles and totally custom suspension (leafs/air bumps in front, triangulated 4 link in rear)

Molly's truck rides rough and can seriously use more compression travel.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:14 PM

I really like the look of my truck as it is now and plus if you look at the cost of tires in the long run my 32s were outragous as it is but to keep buying 35s is just not worth it in the long run and I dont want to put money into gearing
Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
tc
Contributing Member

I don't get it - how does that fit with this thread?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by tc

Come 'wheeling with Isaac and I - you might change your mind about IFS and spend all this money on stuff that will actually make the truck more capable -namely lockers, gears, and armor.
if you guys can help me get my current setup perform better than it does Im more than open to sugestionsI just want a great ride, "CONTROL", and top off road performence

what are you guys running and any pics or vids of what is capable of ?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:24 PM
tc
Contributing Member

BONE stock with ProComp ES3000's. Tons of pictures in the link below.

For video
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...a&search_type=

If you've ever been to Kelly Flats, here's The Chutes:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGt2ZwFZKPU[/youtube]

Mine is the red second gen 4Runner. Isaac is the silver first gen runner. They are both limited more by our unwillingness to take body/glass damage and the driver's ability (at least in my case) than the truck's capability ...
Old 02-06-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by tc
BONE stock with ProComp ES3000's.
so you have no more than after market shocks ? no BJ space, T-bar crank of any sort front or rear ?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
Note that Molly's rig is the second lowest SAS I have seen. The only one lower I have personally seen has full width axles and totally custom suspension (leafs/air bumps in front, triangulated 4 link in rear)

Molly's truck rides rough and can seriously use more compression travel.
Mine is one of the lowest SAS's out there with high steer and it STILL is UBER tippy. (I rolled it 2 years ago). Just some thought, IMHO - unless you go full width axles.. there is NO way to do highsteer and have high speed quality stability....

Not gonna lie, AxleIke and TC have done a fabulous job with IFS and often school me with my SAS set up...

Old 02-06-2008, 05:01 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4YOTA
so you have no more than after market shocks ? no BJ space, T-bar crank of any sort front or rear ?
Well, I replaced the rear coils to fix the saggy butt ... but otherwise, no - no balljoint spacers, tbar crank, nothing.

I have been toying with the idea of low pro compression stops and balljoint spacers though...
Old 02-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4YOTA
Correct.

Troy is running nothing in the front of his truck. He is running 33x10.50's on a stock rim.

I'm running the gamut. I have OME torsions, bj spacers, and OME LT Shocks.

I'm relaxed back to stock height, so same lift off the ground as TC. I have 1.5" more downtravel than he does. It doesn't make a lot of difference.

Also, agree 100% with TC. I like my truck with its glass and moderately straight body. Both of us have had mistakes that have cost us straight metal. To put it shortly, there was a lot of cussing involved, at least for me.

I have not yet hit a trail that I was stopped by my IFS on. Rest assured, I will post when I do.

I'm working out plans with Volcom, a top notch guy who's on here from time to time, to run Liberty this summer. It will be the most difficult trail I've run yet. I've run trails with high end ratings before, but never one with such non stop rock driving as Liberty.

If you are concerned about dumping money into a front you may want to get rid of, I can understand that.

But you can always lock the rear, which you'll need to do anyway. If you are planning on keeping small tires, you won't need to regear. Put on armor, a rear locker, and a second transfer case, and then see where you stand. If you still want to SAS, you will have put zero dollars into the truck that you'll have to cut off, at least no more than you already have.

I guess what we are trying to say is that suspension does almost nothing off road until you hit truly hardcore trails.

As for on road comfort, you will have to spend quite a bit more on your SAS than what you were talking about above to get a nice ride. A SAS will ride better than torsion bar IFS, but not a lot.

Last edited by AxleIke; 02-06-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
I have been toying with the idea of low pro compression stops and balljoint spacers though...
I think you'll like what I've cooked up better. But we'll see how it works on mine first.

Quick Reply: ??? near stock SAS ???