Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Lockers/Spools?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lockers/Spools?

Hey ya'll I got one more question. I'm thinking about buying another Yota, its a 94 pickup but its got a locker in the rear and spooled in front...what exactly will this do to my handling? I see basically 50% pavement/50% mud and rocks. Thanks alot!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
locker? which locker? my exp a locker or a spool in the front is a mother to turn if locked except for in sand or deep snow.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Test drive it or search. You will find your answer either way.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's got manual hubs, the spool up front won't be a problem at all in 2wd (when the hubs are unlocked). This way the tires will be free to rotate at different speeds like they want to do around corners and such. Whenever you lock the hubs (like when you're putting it in 4wd) the front will be locked and you will never be able to use 4x4 without the front diff locked). Some people like this set-up, some don't. It takes a little getting used to, especially in snow.

If the truck has auto-locking hubs, the front will always be locked no matter what - in 2wd and in 4wd. There won't be any power going to it in 2wd (obviously), but the 2 front tires still won't be able to rotate at different speeds. Not a good set-up for a truck that is on the pavement a lot.