Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

LIft a 2WD for off roading?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LIft a 2WD for off roading?

well i'm currently tryin to get my 82 toyota 22r pickup jacked up. i do a good bit off roading with it already i wanna start doin bad dirt roads with deep ruts in it. my truck is only a 2wd. Good idea or bad?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
start searching craigslist for an old 4x4 there very cheap where i am. good luck!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Bad Idea on so many different levels.

X2 on finding a 4x4.

Also, you don't need a big lift to go 4wheeling. Start with tires lockers and gears...you will be amazed at how much those will do for you.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:19 PM

X3 on 4X4.
But that said, prerunners are generally 2WDs (but usually built on 4WD platforms). They're built for SPEED on dirt. You can definitely have some fun with that truck. For rutted dirt roads it's perfect.
But I wouldn't put any cash in it. A real quick way to improve your clearance up front and improve your uptravel (and thus your ability to land...er...compress the front suspension) is to crank your tbars.

Jack up the front end.
Take two 22M crescent wrenches.
Wedge one between the bolt head and the frame
Tighten the nut down with the other.
Note- there's a locknut. It's a pain. Soak it in PB Blaster overnight.
Measure clearance between the top of the nut and the end of the bolt.
Match it on the other side.
Drop the truck, drive it around the block, see how you like it, adjust to taste.

And have fun.

Check these guys out- they got love for the 2WD.
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/content/
Old 11-29-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jodi1122
well i'm currently tryin to get my 82 toyota 22r pickup jacked up. i do a good bit off roading with it already i wanna start doin bad dirt roads with deep ruts in it. my truck is only a 2wd. Good idea or bad?
This IS the newbie section...so I'll be nice

BAD
Old 12-01-2010, 12:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it sounded like fun, anyone want to offer WHY this is a bad idea? Put a locker in a 2wd and it will go lots of places...
Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 AM

Yeah wheeling in 2wd can be fun but only when you have a lever on the floor to pull back on when things get hairy. Lift it if you want the look but it won't actually help you. If you want to get into offloading then 4 wheel drive should be the first and most important upgrade you make. Putting a locker in a 2wd is silly, it is not a substitute for 4x4 and in most situations doesn't come anywhere close to a 4x4 performance wise.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by limon32
I thought it sounded like fun, anyone want to offer WHY this is a bad idea? Put a locker in a 2wd and it will go lots of places...
You do realize 2wd Toys have a hard time driving over a cigarette pack without scraping right?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:44 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
If I lived in arizona, Hawaii or any other state that has wide open land and has a Desert circuit to race on, I wouldn't mid sporting a 2wd Prerunner/race truck. 4WD is not needed for that stuff and would certainly have a locker.

Doubt any of that stuff exists in Georgia though.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:12 PM

I'll go in-depth a bit

This is mainly a 4wd/off-road forum, so right off the bat, we are bias. But everyone has to start somewhere. To the OP, you posted using the term "jacked up" and "bad dirt roads with deep ruts in it". This is 100% possible with a 2wd truck. Yes it will need to be lifted higher, and bigger tires, locker, etc.

Question to ask yourself, do you really want to dump a decent chunk of change in to a 2wd truck just to keep up with a stock 4wd? If it were my 2wd I'd be DD'ing it to work and save up for a 4wd rut jumper.

Sorry if I came off harsh earlier...we were all newbs once
Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

2WD will get you where you need to go on flat dirt roads, and an occasional puddle.

If testing the limits of your truck is your thing, a 4WD will be better suited and not hold you back in the future.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

When I lived in California, I was looking for a new (to me) truck. I wanted a 4x4 but they are kinda rare in SoCal, so I got a 02 Silverado 2wd that was lifted a little. It was OK but when I came back to Oregon, we went out snow wheeling and I just kept wishing it was 4wd. I tried selling it but everyone thought it was a 4wd cause the lift and when I told them they backed out, all the 2wd guys wanted it lowered. I guess I am saying if you wanna roll with the big boys then you gotta step up or you will kick yourself in the ass later.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 PM

I do more with my locker on in 2wd than my friend in open diffs 4wd can do. With a locker and a good eye, you can do quite a bit with 2wd
Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 4banginRunner
I'll go in-depth a bit

This is mainly a 4wd/off-road forum, so right off the bat, we are bias. But everyone has to start somewhere. To the OP, you posted using the term "jacked up" and "bad dirt roads with deep ruts in it". This is 100% possible with a 2wd truck. Yes it will need to be lifted higher, and bigger tires, locker, etc.

Question to ask yourself, do you really want to dump a decent chunk of change in to a 2wd truck just to keep up with a stock 4wd? If it were my 2wd I'd be DD'ing it to work and save up for a 4wd rut jumper.

Sorry if I came off harsh earlier...we were all newbs once
Last time I checked this arena is called "YOTATECH", not "4x4 TECH" or "BASH GUYS WITH IDEAS OTHER THAN MINE TECH".

I just don't get why every time someone posts and idea about something they want to try everyone jumps on them to join the flock and become another sheep.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned

aaand out comes the a-hole in him, just because we are telling him 4wd is better.

If you want to do it, just DO IT.

YOU asked if it would be a good or bad idea. YT members told you bad. And you dont like that we said it was a bad idea.

So why did you even ask in the first place
Old 12-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
aaand out comes the a-hole in him, just because we are telling him 4wd is better.

If you want to do it, just DO IT.

YOU asked if it would be a good or bad idea. YT members told you bad. And you dont like that we said it was a bad idea.

So why did you even ask in the first place
He didn't post the question, he is just jumping down everyone's throat for giving their opinions when the OP was asking for them.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by limon32
Last time I checked this arena is called "YOTATECH", not "4x4 TECH" or "BASH GUYS WITH IDEAS OTHER THAN MINE TECH".

I just don't get why every time someone posts and idea about something they want to try everyone jumps on them to join the flock and become another sheep.
This forum by IMHO is geared ALOT more heavily towards the 4x4/offroad aspect of Toyota ownership. Never did I mention that this was a 4x4 only forum and the 2wd owners aren't welcome. The OP asked for peoples opinions on the topic, and that is what I gave him. First with a simple quick reply, then followed by my in-depth opinion. The OP's "idea" does not sound like a well thought out plan to me, therefor my response. So if in your eyes its bashing, that is your opinion.

?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by James Woods
He didn't post the question, he is just jumping down everyone's throat for giving their opinions when the OP was asking for them.
Oh yeah thank you for clearing that up. I saw no avatar for him or the op or him so i assumed it was the op complaining.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:09 PM

you should modify your 2wd truck to travel off road, if you NEED to travel off road. if youre looking to go offroad as a hobby, you should get a 4x4. if you dd your truck down some iffy dirt roads everyday, it'd be helpfull to to modify it. if youre looking to just play around in a tiny little bit of mud for fun, save money and modify your 2wd. its all a matter of what youre using your truck for
Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 PM

Not jumping down throats, just pointing out that not answering the OPs question, but rather posting he should find a whole new project isn't all that helpfull.

Its just a forum...

Quick Reply: LIft a 2WD for off roading?