Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

I think I destroyed my rear end

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTB: I think I destroyed my rear end

a few reasons for this post, one I'm curious if my third is salvageable, and two I need to increase my post count because apparently you can't post in the classifieds until you have fifteen post!

Anyways, so it started with a leak from the pinion seal and a leak from where the carrier meshes with the axle so I decided I would fix it. For some reason I decided I didn't need to do any research and just went for it.
After a couple hours I had the carrier sealed back up and a new pinion seal in. What I didn't do however was put a new crush sleeve in or check the turning resistance before I started. I've done rear end work before but only on dodge pickups where you don't have to fool with the pinion shaft to get the gears out, hence why I was unaware of this crush sleeve.
So I put the stake nut back where it was, tacked it down and called it a day. Then I took it on a 400 mile road trip the next day, I drove great the way down there but on my way back I started noticing a humming noise and what felt like a grinding while decelerating. Also the pinion seal started leaking again!

When I got home a took the drive shaft off too check it out and there was all kinds of play when I moved the pinion shaft, in, out, up, down, left and right, you name a direction and I could move there.

so now I suspect the pinion bearings are trash, a job which I don't have the knowledge to do. My question is are my suspicions about the pinion bearings correct? I haven't looked yet but I will.
Also if anybody has a 4.56 third in good shape let me know!

Last edited by Cryerp; 01-26-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:06 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Please don't spam the board to up your post count, it's kind of annoying and against the rules.

Just edit your post and its title to add you're WTB if it's your diff you need.

Now I'll go back and read the rest .
Old 01-26-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Please don't spam the board to up your post count, it's kind of annoying and against the rules.

Just edit your post and its title to add you're WTB if it's your diff you need.

Now I'll go back and read the rest .
My bad, I didn't think I was spamming I just thought it was a funny anecdote, but I did have a legitimate question
Old 01-26-2017, 12:14 PM

Possible damage

It's possible and probable you've damaged something you won't know untill you get back into it and visually inspect. If it's not your daily driver tear it open look for damage and tighten it back up. With a few tools and research I think you could handle the repair, just based on your willingness. You'll add to your tool collection, learn some new skills, and maybe even save some money over taking it to a shop.

It's not ideal but people have been known to retorque a crush sleeve and drive the rest of the vehicle to death and not have issues reoccur. You'll need to get a visual inspection done first however.

And I don't have a spare diff, good luck and welcome to yotatech
Old 01-26-2017, 12:17 PM

No worries

Just a precaution on my part after reading the intro. No need to bump a bunch of threads with "good posts" and "I have diff problems also".

At least you understood you could start a thread just not in the classifieds! Lots do not comprehend that part.

Nothing wrong at all with asking for parts availability when you post a legit issue along side it

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 01-26-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:19 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Craigslist and similar message boards are usually good places to source used parts as well. Just remember your buying somebody else's spare not needed parts so you should go through them to make sure once installed it's good to go.

Also what year and model rig are you working on. Makes a difference.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:59 AM

I've been looking around but those things aren't easy to come by, I figured this would be a good option for parts!

also it's a 92 pickup