Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Horrible noises problem - 93 DLX

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible noises problem - 93 DLX

I have a 93' DLX 5 speed,v6. I bought this truck off craigslist for 2k, it ran ok when i got it of course. Its at 160k and it's been making horrible grinding/clattering sounds right under neath my shifter and 4x4 gears. I checked the gear oil in transmission and it was full. Also, rear differential was full too.

The noise seems to start getting worse around 30mph, and gets really loud with acceleration or if on the highway. Im not too sure what this problem is, and if it would really be worth trying to fix. So any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Also, should i keep driving it???
Old 06-14-2012, 11:41 AM

Check trans mounts, drive shaft, u joints, exhaust system, etc. We can't hear the noise, so you are going to need to get a little closer and more descriptive in your post. If you keep driving it, and the drive shaft or a u joint gives out, I have seen one throw the drive shaft right up through the bed!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by 93toyrunner2
Check trans mounts, drive shaft, u joints, exhaust system, etc. We can't hear the noise, so you are going to need to get a little closer and more descriptive in your post. If you keep driving it, and the drive shaft or a u joint gives out, I have seen one throw the drive shaft right up through the bed!
The noise sounds like it is literally coming from my 4x4 shifter. When im stopped there is a strange whirring sound coming from the transmission... but as a speed up closer to 35mph it starts making a chattering/clicking/grinding noise right underneath the stick shift.

When i had first gotten this truck in december, it seemed to be fine, there was very little noise being made. After several weeks of driving the noise had almost completely went away for some reason. Until just recently it started chattering again, and this time it sounds real bad!

Where exactly should i be looking for a Ujoint?
Also a mechanic i had look at it said that my 4x4 hubs where locked in place, and he could not get them to unlock...
Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 PM

With the front wheels locked in all the time, you have issues. You are tearing up your 4wheel transfer case and components IMO, and causing excessive wear on the parts. I suggest starting off with getting the front hubs off and replaced with working manual hubs.
Download the FSM from the link in my signature to use for parts reference.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:08 PM

With the front wheels locked in all the time, you have issues. You are tearing up your 4wheel transfer case and components IMO, and causing excessive wear on the parts. I suggest starting off with getting the front hubs off and replaced with working manual hubs.
Download the FSM from the link in my signature to use for parts reference.
Thanks for your help! Any idea on where to get hubs and prices on them?
Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 PM

Use the search button at the top of the page, and search manual hubs. Read for a few hours, and you will get some others opinions on which to use, and where to get them. rockauto.com is my vendor of choice.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:48 PM

Use the search button at the top of the page, and search manual hubs. Read for a few hours, and you will get some others opinions on which to use, and where to get them. rockauto.com is my vendor of choice.
I just spoke with a friend who has several Toyota's and he too recommended checking the last Ujoint by the rear differential. He said this one gets stressed most easily on lifted 4x4's, but he also said more than likely all of my Ujoints will need to be greased.

Does that sound correct??
Old 06-14-2012, 03:30 PM

Yes, they all need to be greased. However, you said the noise is coming from the trans area, more likely the transfer case under the small shifter. Related to front wheels not releasing.
Grease points can be found in the FSM as well.