Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

FJ60 and 80 general questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FJ60 and 80 general questions

So I posted this on IH8MUD and not a single reply, I am hoping maybe someone here might be able to answer my questions for me...

So I am going to be in the market to pick up a ready to go or close to ready to go crawler/trail machine to primarily use in the Silverton/Ouray CO area and Moab. My neighbor has a N60 series 4Runner fully built with 1 tons and 37's, etc, etc and got me hooked. Last year I got to take my brothers Jeep YJ and drive the San Juan's for myself and that pretty much put the nail in the coffin of what I want to do every year until I die. Now my problem, I currently have 7 kids. 3 bio and 4 foster, but those 4 I am 100% sure I will be adopting as long as court goes in our favor. Now the oldest one will be going to college soon so he wont always be around so I am not looking for a suburban so I can fit everyone in there. I dont even think I could get a suburban down black bear pass. With my neighbor already having a sweet yoda, I started looking obviously at yoda's and really like them. My issue is seat count, I was hoping to get something that could seat 7, maybe 8 people. Obviously a 4 runner cant do that unless I build a super uncomfortable bench thing in the back. Due to this Land Cruisers may be the way to go. I will be looking for something with a solid front axle, older and cheaper so I wont get super pissed if I pinstripe it on a tree or something. Lockers (stock or aftermarket) are required. With the altitude changes, FI is required as well. Depending on the cost, I may make it my daily driver so it would have to be reliable as well. I have been looking at FJ80's as well as FJ60's. However I have a few questions that I cant seem to find.
  • Does the FJ60 even have an option for a 3rd row seat?
  • Am I correct in understanding that the engines ending with an E are fuel injected? (In other words, I need to look for a 3F-E instead of a 3F)
  • Do all the FJ80's have a 3rd row or were they just options (I see some pics without them, but all have been modded so I cant tell if they were just removed.)
  • How strong are the stock axles / lockers? (Would you run 35"s/37"s on them? Are the stock lockers ok, or is it better to swap them to ARB or something like that?)
  • What engine is more reliable and easier to work on...3FE or 1FZ-FE?
Any help is appreciated...Thank you guys so much.

Ryan