Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Clutch Start Cancel Button

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 AM
User Requested Ban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trail_Banger
The other thing it's good for is if you're stuck in gear for whatever reason and/or your engine is dead, you can "drive" on the starter for as long as the battery holds out.
Originally Posted by theAuthority
could just turn the key also?

I just dont' see the point of a 'button' except for starting in the mornings when you don't want to fully sit in the vehicle to start it.

By then I would have remote start installed.
Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
Maybe the old manual transmission vehicles didn't have one, but the new manual vehicles have a switch at the clutch that requires the clutch to be pushed in to allow the vehicle to start. You can turn the key all you want, but until you push the clutch in, the vehicle won't start... hence the reason for having to push the "clutch start cancel" button if you want to start it without pushing the clutch in.

My response was to what I quoted 'only'. He's stating his engine is dead on flat ground and he could lurch the vehicle forward to move it pressing the button, which could also be accompished by putting your foot on the clutch and turning the key. If you're 'stuck in gear' it would disengage and allow your engine to start, but if you're engine is dead also and you're stuck in gear it wouldn't allow anything.

all depends on what is broken and it's all emulated situations anyways.

the button has it's uses, but it is far and few between to make any sense.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 AM

personally i have no idea what its for.... i never use mine..... but what iv found it seems to be just and alternative to the switch pressed when the clutch is in..... most cars when u push the clutch in it triggers a switch to allow u to start..... my buddys heep does not have a switch what-so-ever so he can start it with out pushin the clutch. if his jeep is in gear and he starts without clutch it will lurch and stall. i don't know y its necessary to start with the clutch in but ill figure it out one day.

i don't know why toyota put the clutch start cancel but i only see it being an alternative to the pedals switch..... maybe some sorta security feature
Old 11-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wouldnt it be there in case the neutral safety switch failed, that way you could still start it and go home. The neutral safety is there to keep people who dont know better from starting it in gear, and wrecking another vehicle, but if it fails toyota gave us a way to get her going again.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 PM

Now I get it, I think. Sounds like it kinda just takes up space. But who knows maybe someday it will come in really handy. Thanks everybody!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:09 PM
User Requested Ban

Originally Posted by hjkmotor
i don't know y its necessary to start with the clutch in but ill figure it out one day.
explain your question more. maybe I can answer
Old 11-10-2009, 12:14 PM

It doesn't seem like the button is very necessary. Thought it did something more exciting than just make it so you can start up the truck with out putting your foot on the clutch.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
User Requested Ban

Originally Posted by prolite1
It doesn't seem like the button is very necessary. Thought it did something more exciting than just make it so you can start up the truck with out putting your foot on the clutch.

it transforms your truck into a decepticon !
Old 11-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by yota4runna
When you step on the clutch pedal, you're putting tremendous forward pressure on the crankshaft and thus on the crank thrust bearings. If you're starting up an engine that's been sitting for a while, all the oil has dripped back into the pan, and the thrust bearings are getting a dry start. There is a residual oil film, so it's not totally dry, but it's like fingernails on the chalkboard to me.

I always park in neutral and start using the clutch start cancel switch instead of stepping on the clutch pedal. I don't know how much I'm increasing the longevity of the bearings, but it makes me feel better.
When you press in a clutch it puts tremendous pressure on the fingers over the pressure plate which is spread out along the bolts on the outside into the block.

Starting a motor with the clutch disengaged leaves no pressure clutch disc or flywheel which makes the engine easier to start.

Starting a motor with the transmission in neutral the crank transfers power through flywheel, gripping the disc and moving the input shaft and the transmission gears but disengaged from the output shaft.

Make sense?

It's better on the engine to disengage the engine OVER starting it with the transmission in neutral.
Originally Posted by yota4runna
Huh?

You'd better think again about what's going on in there......
the throwout bearing puts pressure on the fingers which seperates the pressure plates from the clutch disc to the flywheel ......

if it applied more pressure to the disc, would be kinda hard to shift ya think?
Yah I'm right. watch this.. skip to 50 seconds or just stare at the pictures.

yellow/green is pressure plate

red is throwout bearing and fork

orange is clutch

blue is flywheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BaECAbapRg
yota4runna is correct, stomping the clutch pushes the entire engine rotating mass forward. I'm not convinced one way is better than the other, but this part is correct.

It's even in the video supplied -- all of the force applied by the throwout bearing/arm (in red) eventually ends up against the flywheel (not the block).
Old 11-10-2009, 12:35 PM

Talking

it transforms your truck into a decepticon !

That's the answer I was looking for!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ET
i always thought that the clutch start cancel was for emergencies only. it would come in handy if you were to stall out on a hill and have one foot on the brake and the other ready to hit the gas because i assume the majority of us don't have a 3rd foot to depress the clutch.
Ding ding ding! We finally have a winner!

It's a feature available on the 4WD vehicles and it exists for when you stall out on a steep hill. Instead of having to start with the clutch in and risking rolling backwards and dangerously losing traction you can engage the CSC button and use the starter motor to pull you up the hill. Once your up to speed the engine takes over and you continue climbing without that scary roll-back scenario.

My 87 pickup has a CSC button but my 85 Runner does not. My Runner doesn't have a clutch switch at all though, so a CSC would be redundant.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM
User Requested Ban

Originally Posted by Windsor
yota4runna is correct, stomping the clutch pushes the entire engine rotating mass forward. I'm not convinced one way is better than the other, but this part is correct.

It's even in the video supplied -- all of the force applied by the throwout bearing/arm (in red) eventually ends up against the flywheel (not the block).

agreed. I realize where my mistake was. I'm at work and posting in between phone calls

I have to read a lot to catch back up.

I dont see that it affects it enough to start without the clutch though?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:20 PM

I dont see that it affects it enough to start without the clutch though?
Yeah, ditto.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
User Requested Ban

To each his own though, whatever makes you feel better
Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 PM

lol its sad because i have to push that button every time i start my truck even if i push in the clutch
Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 PM
User Requested Ban

ignition doesn't work ?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:44 PM

it works fine but are you talking to me
Old 11-10-2009, 01:46 PM
User Requested Ban

are you talking to me? (al pacino voice)

yah, why do u have to use that button all the time if you're ignition works?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM

are you talking to me? (al pacino voice)

yah, why do u have to use that button all the time if you're ignition works?
haha ya idk it just wont crank if i dont push it in lol so i hope i dont need a new ignition but then again its a sweet anti theft haha but my ignition doesnt work right big woop wana fight about it (short guy from family guy voice)
Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM
User Requested Ban

yah but I'm an idiot, i said it bolts to the block, not the flywheel.

so the pressure applies to the flywheel (who knows how much pressure)

so it's an argument between the resistance of the gears in the tranny when engaged or the pressure plate "pressure" on the flywheel from disengaging.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
User Requested Ban

Originally Posted by davo247d
haha ya idk it just wont crank if i dont push it in lol so i hope i dont need a new ignition but then again its a sweet anti theft haha but my ignition doesnt work right big woop wana fight about it (short guy from family guy voice)

that would be stewie......

and because of your threat I counter with 'ohhhh nooo' the gay guy from family guy

Quick Reply: Clutch Start Cancel Button