Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Backfires, stalls, spits and sputters

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backfires, stalls, spits and sputters

I recently got into a bad spot where my 91 4runner 22re was briefly submerged under water. The engine itself was almost completely under water. It was pulled out immediately and within 30 minutes I drained the oil, flushed it well, and put new oil in it. I pulled the plugs and cranked it over to get the water out of the cylinders, cleaned the plugs, drained the tank, and installed a new fuel filter. I put some heet in the tank just in case, but I got it to run fine for about 2 weeks and now it's acting up.
I can start it just fine, it idles a little high which is expected as its been cold. But once it warms up, it bogs down, backfires through the intake, and just won't go out of first gear without spitting really bad. I'm leaning towards a sensor, but which one I can't be sure of. Tps, coolant temp, IAC valve, egr valve. Who knows. I can drive it OK for about 10 min, but once it gets warmed up I have to park it.

I'm about to start chasing down the issue, but figured someone else might've encountered this issue before, so I thought I'd ask. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank ya

Last edited by XSiKassCiViCx; 03-18-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: To give thanks
Old 03-18-2017, 03:32 PM

Well I've been messing with it since getting off work and although I haven't found the problem, I plugged and unplugged the VAF and tried to clean the connection. It's still back fires but now it's idling fine (for now). I haven't drove it to see what happens yet though. I tried to check my codes and it wasn't showing any. It did however throw some when I accidentally left the paper clip in when I started the truck. I didn't think it worked like that?????

I did notice that it's running really lean, I can smell the gas and it stunk up the house. Wife wasn't happy lol. So I know it's getting to much fuel. Which sensors can dictate the air/fuel ratio?

This is what I drive back and forth to work everyday so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:43 PM

I had a similar situation with my 94 22re. I drove through a flooded road and got water everywhere. Truck bogged down and ran like crap for a bit. Turned out that i damaged my TPS. Heres the link i used to test mine. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml. Also, for the bad idle after warm up, i ended up finding that my EFI coolant temp sensor was acting up and replaced it. Truck runs great now.

Last edited by MrShocker; 03-22-2017 at 07:46 PM.