Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

92 3vze bad buy 😭

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 3vze bad buy 😭

Hello everyone

So to start off I'd like to put it out there I have no experience working on vehicles other than changing a battery ,alt. , Oil and fuel filters now and again .... That being said I had a 89 Toyota 22re as my first vehicle absolutely loved that Toyota years go by after being t-boned which totalled the truck and I find a 92 3vze which was running kind of rough but in my price range on Craigslist, my friend went with me as he knows far more about motors than me (mostly BMW and ricers ) he says to me a couple hundred bucks and it will be running like new ..... Get it home check the oil after changing rotor plugs and wires and all was good , took it for a short drive and all seemed well untill a sudden loss of oil pressure and power, temperature​ was good but if the rpms were not up the truck would die so I baby it home and wouldn't you know it water steaming out of the radiator my heart dropped as I repeatedly checked the oil time after time it was getting milky damn a blown head gasket!!!!!! Had checked the compression before the short drive and it was great so I had high hopes the water had gotten into the oil via the oil cooler somehow .Nope ...It was the head ... Called and got some astronomical quotes on the head gasket repair since I have no real experience working on any vehicle. So not having the money for the repair I decided to tackle it myself even after reading all the mechanically inclined folks strongly advising not to try a head repair without being a somewhat seasoned wrench .
This is how I went about it

Step one get a book

step two mark everything with nail polish (ol lady was pissed I stole every color she had )

Step three take everything apart

Step four check all parts for damage and functionality and order parts needing replaced

Step five wait for parts (longest most frustrating step so far ) this is where I'm currently at and after reading the book over and over and endless YouTube videos on the best was to make sure I time it correctly and I'm stuck I was told to count teeth but I can't find anything online for this truck on what the count should be between the crankshaft sprocket to the driver side camshaft ECT. Can anyone help ?

Last edited by Thkpage; 03-16-2017 at 07:46 PM.