Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

'88 4Runner center link?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'88 4Runner center link?

So, went mudding with a couple buddies tonight. They convinced me to go into a deep rut that I said no to. We get goin down it and I have a bit of a lead foot. Well we hit a ledge or something, not sure what it was, on the front drivers wheel and it jerks us to a stop immediately.

The steering wheel is way out of wack and when driving, making only slight turns and braking, the tires squeal. We looked at it and we thought the tie rod was bent. Searched for the part online and it didn't look the same. So then we just start clicking on things blindly and we click on the center link and it looks like what we need. But I can only find it on partstrain (I think that's the site).

We're gonna call the junk yard tomorrow and see if anyone has it. Online its $130 or so. We bent the part back a little so the tires don't squeal as much. I was just wondering what you guys new about this? Any suggestions? Anyone got one for sale? I'll try and get a pic tomorrow morning. Its late at night and I need to get to bed so I'm done searching for now. Hopefully I'll have a response by tomorrow morning. Thanks guys

Last edited by nosfanatic2006; 10-10-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:43 AM

Here are a couple pics with arrows pointing to what I need. I have no idea what its called. I've seen "center link", "transverse link", and "steering relay rod". Any help please?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
So, went mudding with a couple buddies tonight. They convinced me to go into a deep rut that I said no to. We get goin down it and I have a bit of a lead foot. Well we hit a ledge or something, not sure what it was, on the front drivers wheel and it jerks us to a stop immediately.

The steering wheel is way out of wack and when driving, making only slight turns and braking, the tires squeal. We looked at it and we thought the tie rod was bent. Searched for the part online and it didn't look the same. So then we just start clicking on things blindly and we click on the center link and it looks like what we need. But I can only find it on partstrain (I think that's the site).

We're gonna call the junk yard tomorrow and see if anyone has it. Online its $130 or so. We bent the part back a little so the tires don't squeal as much. I was just wondering what you guys new about this? Any suggestions? Anyone got one for sale? I'll try and get a pic tomorrow morning. Its late at night and I need to get to bed so I'm done searching for now. Hopefully I'll have a response by tomorrow morning. Thanks guys
Sounds like you pooched your center link for sure.
You should probably align it after you replace the link.

You learned (or should have, hopefully) a couple of things:

- There is a DIRECT link between your right foot (stupid foot) and your wallet.
- Your "buddies" aren't the brightest
- NEVER let anyone talk you into doing anything that you're not comfortable doing.

On a side note, sounds like y'all may have been wheeling along (only 1 vehicle) which, if true, is beyond dumb, especially for a "newbe"......

Fred

Last edited by FredTJ; 10-11-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 AM

Haha, yeah. You learn as you go right? I think I found a used link for $33.18 or something, shipped to me. We're replacing the tie rod end on the passenger side too cause my friend was freakin stupid and tried to pop it out using an actual hammer instead of a rubber mallot and he screwed up the threads for the nut . Oh well. . .atleast he's paying for it. We did get nice and muddy though . And yeah, its hard not to go wheeling by myself since I don't know anyone else here with a truck that's willing to go with me
Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 AM

umm you sure it's not the idle arm that's bent? I just pooched mine and it usually the weakest link in your steering and the first thing to go.
Center links aren't that common to go bad on you.

Last edited by 934rnr; 10-11-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats the relay rod that toyota has recalled. Has your been done yet? Might get it done for free from yota.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by bruzer
Thats the relay rod that toyota has recalled. Has your been done yet? Might get it done for free from yota.
I have no idea if its been done. I just bought the truck a couple months ago. What's wrong with them? Why were they recalled?

The "relay rod?" was bent cause it was rubbing on some other part. We bent it out so it wouldn't rub and if fixed the steering a bit. Then we got the wheels straightened with the tie rods. It drives better but I can't turn right as sharp as I used to. And when I turn left it rubs; which it never used to do. What do I do now? Not really getting a very direct response from my buddy on how to fix that
Old 10-12-2008, 07:20 AM

if the idler arm is bent it throws the whole steering out and it will rub on one side at times...

This thing....

If you jack it up and it move the tires back and forth if it moves up and down it's bad.
It's the weakest link in your steering aside from the tie-rods.
The only way I can see if you bent your centerlink is if you hit something like a log or a rock against it.

9 times out of 10 it's the idler arm that bends and it pooches your whole steering.

Last edited by 934rnr; 10-12-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:35 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
x2 on the recall. Call a dealer with your VIN and they will tell you if it's been done or not.

NOTE: I had mine done right away, and promptly bent the recall replacement one. It seems the recall ones are easier to bend than the originals (which wouldn't bend, just break). I have since replaced it with another post-recall one and it's been holding up fine - so maybe there was something with the first ones...
Old 10-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
Searched for the part online and it didn't look the same. So then we just start clicking on things blindly and we click on the center link and it looks like what we need. But I can only find it on partstrain (I think that's the site).
Try here:

http://www.rockauto.com/

The one I found was $95 for an '88 4Runner SR5 22R-E.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 934rnr
if the idler arm is bent it throws the whole steering out and it will rub on one side at times...

This thing....

If you jack it up and it move the tires back and forth if it moves up and down it's bad.
It's the weakest link in your steering aside from the tie-rods.
The only way I can see if you bent your centerlink is if you hit something like a log or a rock against it.

9 times out of 10 it's the idler arm that bends and it pooches your whole steering.
So you can't actually see if it is jacked up? Cause I just went out and looked and it didn't look bad. I'm gonna jack it up and do what you said after Spiderman goes off tv and I wash the truck lol. I don't see how it would move up and down? But I guess I'll see. . .thanks for the help guys
Old 10-23-2008, 02:30 PM

Okie dokie. Took it to Toyota and they said I need to replace: control arm bushings, lower ball joints, steering relay rod (free cause of recall), steering stabilizer (what they said was limiting my steering to the right, supposedly it was bottoming out), front wheel bearing repack, left front outer tie rod, and alignment. Any of this stuff I can buy used and still be fine?