Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

'87 22r alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'87 22r alternator question

Hey all, and thank you ahead of time for the advice. Recently replaced top end on our 87 22r love, and have noticed a new problem. The brake and charge lights come on (and the radio cuts off then comes back on), but only when the headlights are turned on. I have a slightly high idle, and get around 15v at the battery. I removed the alternator ground, cleaned it, and reattached it. Also checked around for loose connection etc.

From what I've found on here so far, it sound like my regulator and/or brush might need replacing, and if I'm going to do that I'd like to do bearings as well. Is there an alternator rebuild kit anywhere? I've come up empty so far. As far as I know it's the original unit.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your alternator is indeed overcharging it will cause the lights to come on as well as when you have a no charge or low charge issue.

Pray tell just where did you find a ground for the alternator?? It grounds through the bracket to the engine just as does the starter.

That is why good grounds are important.

Now if anyone has a good low priced supplier of these internal voltage regulators please speak up !!!

Last I priced one of these a few years ago it was over half the price of a local rebuilt unit.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If your alternator is indeed overcharging it will cause the lights to come on as well as when you have a no charge or low charge issue.

Pray tell just where did you find a ground for the alternator?? It grounds through the bracket to the engine just as does the starter.

Now if anyone has a good low priced supplier of these internal voltage regulators please speak up !!!

Last I priced one of these a few years ago it was over half the price of a local rebuilt unit.
The alternator is grounded to the left motor mount. I think I'm going to go get a local reman today, as its so bad now that when I turn on the blower motor the engine struggles!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

I had the same issue with my 87 4x4 when I purchased it. Sent it to the mechanic figuring it needed electrical work and a carb or vacum work/adjustments etc. New alternator fixed all issues! It runs like a dream. It was an advance auto part and started having the the same issue about 10mo later. Back to the store. 20 minutes later new alternator (under warranty) and no more issues! If it goes again I am going to order a nice one

Z
Old 10-30-2012, 02:49 PM

[QUOTE=wyoming9;51991341]If your alternator is indeed overcharging it will cause the lights to come on as well as when you have a no charge or low charge issue.

Last I priced one of these a few years ago it was over half the price of a local rebuilt unit.[/QUOTE

So I bought a reman, and installed. Just before starting it up I checked the battery and was reading 13.86V!! How in the world do you get that out of a static 12V battery?

Son drove it around the block and turned everything on and said it hung in there longer but the radio still cut off. I have good field voltage at the alternator plug (13.86V), and can find the same voltage going from the alt. terminal to ground in different places.

What am I missing here? My other son drove it for a few months before burning the head, so all I did was to put a new top end on it. I did put the ground strap from head to firewall back on.