Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22RE build

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE build

Hey guys, just to give you a little background.. I have never been real fawned of working on my vehicles, but it has always been better then being a slave to a car note. So i have very little experience working on engines and cars in general other then figuring it out by reading the Manuel.

Now that that's out of the way, i recently sold my 87' Ford F150 because it was getting to the point where it was going to cost me more to fix it then it was worth. My brother has built up a few toyota pickups and said that if i was to go through and build a new motor the thing would be very reliable.

So i picked up a 4" lifted 87' 4runner on swampers with a blown head gasket for $1000... straight body, needs paint/interior. My idea was to then put the remaining $1000 into building a real nice big valve engine. After registration and all that jazz im about $300 shy from the engine i was hoping to build. I did however, get the big valve head and rebuilt bottom end with new bearing ect.

Now, to dive a little deeper and get to the root of this thread! Everyone says these engines are very easy to build/work on. My brother told me he would help build this engine and get it running for me, but it is just not seeming to work out with him. I was hoping to get some feedback on books or any reference material necessary to get this 22re built and operating properly! the snow season is right around the corner and im going to be in deep with the wife if dont pull this thing together.

I have found some great resources on timing chain replacement and upgrading to DOA steel timing guides, ARP Head Studs and things like that, but im afraid thats not enough to keep me from destroying this piece of machinery.

I can understand its probably hard to assist me not knowing my knowledge of car mechanics, but i assure you im a total newb!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Check out engnbldr's website he can point you in the right directions to build a reliable 22re. He's reasonable and helpful when you have questions.