Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1988 4runner mods??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 4runner mods??

I am mainly looking for a good choice of tires. I want a fairly aggressive tread, but i will need something that is versatile because it will be a daily driver. Also what should be some of the first mods i should get if i am going to do some wheeling. But i wont be doing any major wheeling, yet. So i am open to any and all ideas. From bumpers to engine mods and muffler tips. just looking for some ideas. thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 06:06 PM

for tires goodyear mtrs,bfgkm2s, mickey thompson claws
for exhaust a magnaflow converter and a flowmaster muffler
for bumpers marlins or badlands
for motor not sure cause i don't know which one you have
Old 11-14-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mickey Thompson mtz's look really cool and are cheaper than the goodyears I have been running them a while. they don't make alot of noise and they are TUFF off road.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 AM

Mods:
Decide where you want your truck to end up in terms of tire size. Otherwise you are going to be doing things 2-3 times and that is expensive. If you are not sure where you want to end up, start with things that are universal to all phases. Some of the universal mods may not look cool, or get you much farther down the trail, but you will want them sooner or later.

Universal mods:
Recovery gear (3 inch, 30 foot recovery strap, tree saver, chunk of chain, snatchblock, shackles)
hi-lift jack (48 incher fits behind the front seats)
Selectable rear locker (ARB or E-locker)
bumpers (high and tight. Stongly consider a winch mount or receiver for a portable winch)
rock sliders
On board air or CO2 tank
winch (Portable or hard mounted.)
Re-geared and/or Dual transfer cases. (dual= more work, but less front driveshaft angle for Solid Axle swap later)
Transfer case skidplate/remounting to get rid of the low hanging "horsecollar"
U bolt flip helps keep things out of the rocks too.

Phase 31s. Mount up 31inch BFG MTRs with the universal mods. Take the top off the 'Runner, engage the rear locker and go have a TON of fun! <--My recommendation!

Phase 33s: Biggest tires on stock suspension 33x9.50 or so. Universal mods Plus: Re-gear to 4.88. Add a front selectable locker while you are regearing the front. Pound the fender seam flat. You will go a LONG way down the trail with dual lockers, low T-case gearing, protection and recovery gear. Go run almost every published trail in Moab. (I did everything but Pritchett and Rusty Nail like this.)

Phase 35s: Lifted IFS truck. I took this off my list. Waste of time/money IMO.

Phase 37s: Reliable tire size for Toyota axles (Others will argue this point for sure.) Universal mods plus: solid axle swap, high steer, ram assist steering, 30 spline chromo longfields and hub inners, chromo long and short side inner axle shafts, 6 shooter knuckles, axle gussets. Gear it 5.29 or 5.71. ARB/selectable hi-pinion front differential. Longer rear springs/shackles, diff pointed at T-case, double cardan driveshaft. You have a truck that you can still drive to almost any trail and have fun wheelin'.

Anything past phase 37s and you are really beyond the scope of this forum. See you on Pirate4x4!

My favorite mod?
Rear locking differential.

Worst mod?
Limited slip front differential. "Limited slip means limited traction." -Smartboy