03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Runner got crunched

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runner got crunched

My wife and I were on our way to the local AFB so I could get a flight physical and this guy decided to pull out in front of us. I was doing 50ish in cruise and noticed him pulling out just after my wife, as she said "honey!!" I was hitting the brakes.... I put the pedal to the floor, but still couldnt stop in time.. I swerved to try to avoid but caught the last 18" of the flat bed. I was probally doing 25 or so when we collided, and luckily didnt stop.. he was still moving so he pulled away from the wreck and we were still doing 5mph or so, really helped us not to get hurt.

No injuries to me or my wife, and the other guy was fine to.

The runner is currently at the Toyota body shop awaiting estimate...

And what we hit...
Old 06-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that, but I am glad you & the wife are OK. At least it looks like a company truck & insurance will be taken care of. Don't let them try to screw you over because you are deploying soon.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1985 4Runner
Sorry to hear that, but I am glad you & the wife are OK. At least it looks like a company truck & insurance will be taken care of. Don't let them try to screw you over because you are deploying soon.
Thanks, and I wont... it'll be done right... afterall this is the rig that carries my wife around...
Old 06-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thats sucks reminds me of my accident with my 91 i had to drive almost a half mile to get off the road im still amazed it stayed runing
Old 06-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Glad you guys weren't hurt. I guess it could have been a lot worse.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

wow that looks very painful. I'm glad the both of you are not hurt from the accident. Looks like the 4runner bit the dust Atleast it shows how Toyota builds the 4runner so that the occupants are the first priority. That one photo of the engine bay shows the crumple zones working by design. Hopefully it's not going to be a total loss and rather a quick and easy fix.

Crossin fingers for ya! If not push for a new 4runner for your wife
Old 06-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

airbags didint go off ???? it looks like about $6,500 worth of damage
Old 06-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I assume you are at fault since you tagged him from the rear? Which probably shouldn't be the case if he pulled out in front of you?

What kind of truck (company) is that?

Glad you guys are okay.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Man i know that sux. When i rear-ended someone i thought that my truck was the ugliest thing out there but now it is aight since we cleaned it up....anyways back to urs that is A LOT of damage to it and if it does get fixed the resale value is gonna be through the floor. Hope that they total it and the other company pays for it. Hey if they do maybe you can get the V8 .
Old 06-26-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
airbags didint go off ???? it looks like about $6,500 worth of damage

Nope, the lower part of his "bumper" ripped thru my bumper about 1.5" from the airbag sensor. And since he was still moving he moved away from sensor, never tripping it. I am actually glad they didnt deploy, would have made our injuries worse.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I assume you are at fault since you tagged him from the rear? Which probably shouldn't be the case if he pulled out in front of you?

What kind of truck (company) is that?

Glad you guys are okay.

His fault completly. He was on a cross street with a stop sign, despite the "cross traffic doesnt stop" sign he thought it was a 4-way stop.. and without looking moved thru the intersection. Unfotunally we were coming, the speed limit was 50 and thats where I had cruise set. The point of impact on his truck was about 18" in front of the back of the bed. He was moving left to right, so he moved away from us after we hit him. We hit at exactly 90 degress to him.

It was a izuzu cab foreword with a fairly sturdy flat bed. It bent the bed a little, and ripped a weld on the lower bumper.

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
Man i know that sux. When i rear-ended someone i thought that my truck was the ugliest thing out there but now it is aight since we cleaned it up....anyways back to urs that is A LOT of damage to it and if it does get fixed the resale value is gonna be through the floor. Hope that they total it and the other company pays for it. Hey if they do maybe you can get the V8 .
Resale shouldnt be affected, it wont be a salvaged title so on a trade-in it can't affect the price..luckily.

If is it a total loss I will probally be getting a 06 runner... v6 though. I have no desire to have a full time 4wd rig, I prefer to have the 2wd mode. I also like the mileage I get from that v6, this tank was at 23.5, and that included dirt roads, 4wd, city, and hwy...

Last edited by AH64ID; 06-26-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

looks like those newer 4runners hold up better i rear-ended a guy in my 91 doing about 50 and it took out the hole front raditor support see my sig for pics
Old 06-26-2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
looks like those newer 4runners hold up better i rear-ended a guy in my 91 doing about 50 and it took out the hole front raditor support see my sig for pics
I was looking at that earlier, you defianatly got more damage than I did.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Glad to hear everyone was okay. Also good to hear that your airbags didn't go off.

I can't believe you didn't even crack the headlight. At least it doesn't look like it from the pictures. I think your suv held up really well!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 AM

Man you are having some bad luck here lately. Both vehicles broke down at the same time. One needing rebuilt and now this...

Glad everyone is ok.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I want to know is, are you the thuggish one talking to the cop?
JK man, glad you both made it out ok! I think he owes you one 4th gen 4runner and one 1st gen for your pain.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:41 AM

NO!

Well, at least that's one way to get a clean engine bay! :
Old 06-27-2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
All I want to know is, are you the thuggish one talking to the cop?
Yeah, the kid with his pants around the ankles is the guy who pulled in front of me.....

Originally Posted by Buck01
Man you are having some bad luck here lately. Both vehicles broke down at the same time. One needing rebuilt and now this...

Glad everyone is ok.
Yeah, and to top it off the retal car place was out of 4runners, and I now have a POS 2006 HEEP Grand Chokeee... what a POS.... but look for another thread on how it BLOWS....

Originally Posted by Jared
Glad to hear everyone was okay. Also good to hear that your airbags didn't go off.

I can't believe you didn't even crack the headlight. At least it doesn't look like it from the pictures. I think your suv held up really well!
The flat bed hit the top 2" of the headlight housing and pushed it down withOUT cracking it...scratched to hell but not cracked.. I am very impressed with the runner, I have said it before and will say it again... its a rig I hope to always own, not this exact one..but 4runners in general..
Old 06-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Resale shouldnt be affected, it wont be a salvaged title so on a trade-in it can't affect the price..luckily.

Sorry to hear about your wreck.

The resale will be affected, don't be fooled. Any damage effects the resale value. Salvage title or not the vehicle has been in a wreck and by the looks of it, alot of damage. When I appraise a used vehicle I look for bolts that have been off, seams, overspray, color match, texture match and I bid them alot less than I would if it had no damage. Keep that in mind when dealing with the insurance company. Having said that I am sure you can get it fixed back to pre-accident condition. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 465 Likes on 311 Posts
Last time I saw a high-speed involving rear ending a flatbed, the end of the truck was tight against the headrests of an S10 blazer.

Very glad you and your wife are ok!!!
(you're on my beer list too, poor guy)
Old 06-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

have you got a estimate yet ??

Quick Reply: Runner got crunched