03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter

I've got an '05 Tacoma and considering the installation of a remote starter. Has anyone done this? Are there any reasons why it wouldn't work or issues that I would have to work around to make it work?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go you have the factory alarm? Do you have the keys with the chip? If so you will need to have another key/chip registered in the ECM and there is a module that atached to the remote start that alows the key to be read by the computer so that the truck will start. This is usually done by have a key (non usuable) in a reader box.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by celica
Go you have the factory alarm? Do you have the keys with the chip? If so you will need to have another key/chip registered in the ECM and there is a module that atached to the remote start that alows the key to be read by the computer so that the truck will start. This is usually done by have a key (non usuable) in a reader box.
RGR that. Toyota did my dads remote start and they used the valet key. Works like a charm. I think they used audiovox(i guess it all depends on the sub-contractor)
Old 12-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
RGR that. Toyota did my dads remote start and they used the valet key. Works like a charm. I think they used audiovox(i guess it all depends on the sub-contractor)
What does RGR stand for, and wouldn't you have to remove the factory alarm to install a new alarm/remote start/keyless system?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stump1883
What does RGR stand for, and wouldn't you have to remove the factory alarm to install a new alarm/remote start/keyless system?
sorry, rgr= roger that. The way my dad has it set up is that he has 2 remotes(really lame) But the one for the remote start is really small...1/2 the size of the factory. The only reason for this is b/c he wanted to be able to turn on/off the car whenever he wanted to. They siad the only way to do it would be thier way(which i know is a crock) But they did it for free.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:32 PM

Speaking of remote starters...grrrrrr

I just had my Autopage alarm put in my new runner today (was in my '97 runner) it's supposed to have remote start but they had some "issues" with the truck.

My wife picked it up for me but they told her something is wrong with the vehicle because the brake lights won't go off (even with the truck turned off). They, being this car audio shop that I have trusted in the past, said we would have to take the truck to a stealer to have it checked and that there is no way it can have anything to do with the alarm install because they took the alarm out and the brakelights were still staying on. So she takes the truck with instructions on how to take out the fuse when she parks it but half way home the brakes lock up (so she says, who knows?) turns out they hooked up a power source wire to the friggin ABS system...wtf? So sounds like she drove MY 4RUNNER with the brakes ON for a couple miles...grrrr WOMEN. Needless to say I'm taking it in to a trusted mechanic to make sure she didn't mess up something (and the shop for that matter).

Oh and they couldn't get the remote start to work because they didn't have the bipass part they needed for the chip (I supplied an extra chipped key).

Just had to vent...WIFE STAY AWAY FROM MY 4RUNNER!!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 05:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stump1883
...wouldn't you have to remove the factory alarm to install a new alarm/remote start/keyless system?
You don't have to, but it's HIGHLY recommended. Most RS systems will act as an alarm that's just as good (and often times better) than the factory.

The issue is that the RS REALLY wants to be able to do things like lock the doors before starting the engine, know when the doors are open (but the locks haven't cleared) so that it can kill the engine (it thinks the trucks being stolen) and other things like that.