03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Oil Change Question - For 06 SE

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BT17R
Thanks! Only 200 miles, just babying it during break-in, but so far a very impressive ride and an amazing bargain considering content and capability right out of the box. There's a separate FJ forum here plus I posted some pics in the "Check Out My Ride" forum linked below.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f137/new-owner-today-82436/
How much? I know there is no sales tax for you on this baby. Just wondering how much it cost you. Maybe in addition to the 4Runner I just got, I can convince my wife to let me have a FJ. ha ha.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:01 PM

Yep, dino = conventional oil.

I bring my own Mobil 1 to the dealership. I buy it on sale for $4.25/qt. and the dealer gives me $15 off the price of the change for a net price of $15. Just leave the bag with the oil on the driver's seat so the tech doesn't overlook it.

About the lean, try measuring another '06 SE and compare. Does your truck wander at high speed on a level highway? If so, you get one free alignment during the "adjustment period" of 12 months/20K miles. If not, that's the verbiage to use to get a free alignment anyway.
OK BT17R,

Update on the lean. Tok my car to the dealership yesterday. It seems the problem has been taken care of. When I take measurement at where I usually get 1"+ difference. Now it's barely 1/8 of an inch. I can live with that. The question I have for you is that. The dealership told me they shimmed the car. Not the spring coil but actually the body.

They told me it's a very common procedure as this is done during balancing too. So shimming is very common.

Is this true? Have you heard such a thing? I left a message for the dealership today to find out where exactly did the "shim" or "spacer" go? I have not heard back yet.

Please let me know if I should be asking them any specific question. When I asked if the lean is consider a defect, they said it isn't.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shimming the body is a new one on me. It's possible with 4Runner body-on-frame construction, but I don't recall anyone around here getting that done.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:52 PM

Shimming the body is a new one on me. It's possible with 4Runner body-on-frame construction, but I don't recall anyone around here getting that done.

Is there any specific question I should be asking them? When I picked up the car, it was late so all mechanics were gone. The tech advisor left on duty was not the same guy I spoke to. He told me it's quiet common. When they balancing the wheel, it also involve the same procedure. What I don't understand is I've neevr heard that previous with my previous cars.

Any suggestion would greatly appreciate it. I am just not technical enough to ask any questions.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

It's not uncommon in early Land Cruisers like FJ-40's to have a lean problem corrected with a combination of shims and springs. So I'd say their fix probably has merit and is likely a factory procedure.

I'd ask them if there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) covering the repair and if so to get a copy of it. Also, be certain to get a copy of the warranty repair order documenting what they did. Otherwise, with your truck under warranty, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Dealers these days must be very careful to only perform repairs that won't introduce other problems. If anything, they tend to be conservative and cautious in repairs. The factory won't reimburse them without an approved repair procedure and code, so whatever they're doing during warranty must be legit. Although I haven't heard of the lean issue before now, they obviously have and apparently fixed others successfully.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:57 AM

make sure to keep receipts of any service done outside dealer,even filter & oil if you do yourself,if something unusual were to happen,dealer & toyota may ask for service records especially if just out of warr. looking for goodwill assistance
Old 04-07-2006, 04:43 PM

It's not uncommon in early Land Cruisers like FJ-40's to have a lean problem corrected with a combination of shims and springs. So I'd say their fix probably has merit and is likely a factory procedure.

I'd ask them if there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) covering the repair and if so to get a copy of it. Also, be certain to get a copy of the warranty repair order documenting what they did. Otherwise, with your truck under warranty, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Dealers these days must be very careful to only perform repairs that won't introduce other problems. If anything, they tend to be conservative and cautious in repairs. The factory won't reimburse them without an approved repair procedure and code, so whatever they're doing during warranty must be legit. Although I haven't heard of the lean issue before now, they obviously have and apparently fixed others successfully.

Good points. Some info for your reference.

- No TSB on this. I checked with Toyota directly prior to going to the dealer.
- Yes The procedure is defintiely Toyota approved. The service manager had to call Toyota to get approval to give me a rental that day. So I got to drive a 4WD Matrix. (I did ask if I can get a better car but I know I was pushing it at a Toyota dealership since this isn't Lexus, Benz or Bimmer. Even if it's a Bimmer or Benz dealersip, I probably would only get their low end cars anyway.) Matrix was fun.

I have not heard back from deaerlship yet. I plan to stop by (only 1 mile away from me) to talk to the mechanic directly to see where exactly they placed the "spacer" as the paperwork does not even explain they shimmed the car. It simply states some adjustment done.

I do want them to put down on the paperwork what exact was done so in case something does go wrong (knock knock knock on wood) later on.

Thanks for your tips.

While I am at it, I think I will ask them to do the creaking sound coming from the back. Base on a lot of different posts I've read, it's related to the latch. I can not believe this has been going on for so long and they did not perform tihs TSB prior to selling me the car.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:21 PM

Bt17R,

Looks like the new Fj has similar issue. Check out posting below.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=2945
Old 04-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Well that got the tape measure out. My garage floor has a slight drainage slope to it that might affect measurements, so I'll find a level slope and compare to FSM specs to see if it's within spec.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:27 PM

Well that got the tape measure out. My garage floor has a slight drainage slope to it that might affect measurements, so I'll find a level slope and compare to FSM specs to see if it's within spec.
:-) Let me know how that goes. Maybe you can post ont that site and help the guy out. I don't think this is a problem for every car made by Toyota but ti does seem like a problem.

I think a lot of people just over look it.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:51 PM

What's the verdict?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

After three measurements with both low and full fuel, average variation is ¼" lower driver's side. Not enough for me to worry about and might be corrected at the free alignment next week. BTW, first alignment is free within the first 12/20K if you use the magic words "wanders at constant high speed on a smooth level surface".
Old 04-19-2006, 08:01 PM

After three measurements with both low and full fuel, average variation is ¼" lower driver's side. Not enough for me to worry about and might be corrected at the free alignment next week. BTW, first alignment is free within the first 12/20K if you use the magic words "wanders at constant high speed on a smooth level surface".
Yea I would not worry if it's only 1/4" lower. You proabbly have full tank of gas too. Speaking of gas. DAMN IT WAS EXPENSIVE TO FILL UP TODAY!!!!!!!!!! I got about 380 out of my last full tank. Not bad huh?

Is that really free as any dealership? What if they say no? Anything else free I can try to get? Pls advise
Old 04-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

Look in your Warranty Guide. A few pages in is the "Adjustments", or something like that, page outlining the special provisions. The alignment is one example, others are listed too. The dealer won't say "no", they're paid full retail rate for warranty repairs from Toyota so it's gravy for them. Using the "magic words" (and arriving with a clean vehicle and tires properly inflated) has always produced the desired result from both Toyota and Lexus dealers.

380 out of a full tank is very good. Wish I had your 24 gallon tank, but FJ only has 19.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:51 PM

Look in your Warranty Guide. A few pages in is the "Adjustments", or something like that, page outlining the special provisions. The alignment is one example, others are listed too. The dealer won't say "no", they're paid full retail rate for warranty repairs from Toyota so it's gravy for them. Using the "magic words" (and arriving with a clean vehicle and tires properly inflated) has always produced the desired result from both Toyota and Lexus dealers.

380 out of a full tank is very good. Wish I had your 24 gallon tank, but FJ only has 19.
But that's in the 2WD mode and I have yet to go over 2500 per your suggestion. Tip speed I reached so far is like 68.

ha ha.

Wait till I start to drive it like I drive my Prelude, I bet I will be looking at 17 or 18 per gallon. And at this price level, it's gonna hurt.

BTW, do you think I should go for the Fumoto valve? I ordered it and expect to get it installed when I hit 1K. Let me know what you think of it.

Thanks

P.S. The FJ tech service manulal kicks ass. Wish there is a 06 4Runner one out there.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

If you go for the free alignment, pick a speed at the maximum posted on the local Interstate. The dealer will take your word for it, they're too busy to test it and know you're entitled anyway, especially when you're holding the Warranty Guide in your hand open to the freebies page. I've read of stubborn dealers who decline the alignment at first if the wandering speed is over max posted, claiming "we can't legally test it at that speed".

Everyone I know who uses the Fumoto valve loves it. They're all track day friends who thrash their cars at the local road racing circuit and change their oil after every monthly event. I'd double-check clearance after installation to be certain it doesn't protrude below the skid plate. Wouldn't want to knock it off wheelin' over an obstacle.

Good luck with a service manual. I'm thinking you might have better luck searching for an '03 manual. Except for the 5A/T, your 'Runner is essentially unchanged since then.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:48 PM

If you go for the free alignment, pick a speed at the maximum posted on the local Interstate. The dealer will take your word for it, they're too busy to test it and know you're entitled anyway, especially when you're holding the Warranty Guide in your hand open to the freebies page. I've read of stubborn dealers who decline the alignment at first if the wandering speed is over max posted, claiming "we can't legally test it at that speed".

Everyone I know who uses the Fumoto valve loves it. They're all track day friends who thrash their cars at the local road racing circuit and change their oil after every monthly event. I'd double-check clearance after installation to be certain it doesn't protrude below the skid plate. Wouldn't want to knock it off wheelin' over an obstacle.

Good luck with a service manual. I'm thinking you might have better luck searching for an '03 manual. Except for the 5A/T, your 'Runner is essentially unchanged since then.

Thanks. I will make sure I get the free alignment done. Will let you know how it goes. BY the way, have you hear people complain about the car noise when idling? I just noticed today that when I have the car in park/idle. The engine still makes some noise and I can see the RPM needle move slightly. It's never happened to me with any other car before. The noise I heard is 1/50th of the sound as if someone is reving the engine. (NOt real reve of course) Could it be some kind of timing issue?

I did a search on several forums but did not see anyone with this issue
Old 04-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Two guesses about the sound:

- The A/C compressor cycling on/off will raise/lower engine rpms.

- Your truck has an electro-hydraulic brake booster pump that's also used for related functions like DAC, HAC, etc. When operating, it's gives off a slight buzzing sound. Listen for it operating after sitting overnight and cold. Turn the key to the ACC position and listen. The buzzing sound is the pump filling the accumulator tank. Very cool system that gives full braking pressure even with the engine off. Maybe that's what you're hearing. The pump operates intermittently with the engine running.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:14 AM

Two guesses about the sound:

- The A/C compressor cycling on/off will raise/lower engine rpms.

- Your truck has an electro-hydraulic brake booster pump that's also used for related functions like DAC, HAC, etc. When operating, it's gives off a slight buzzing sound. Listen for it operating after sitting overnight and cold. Turn the key to the ACC position and listen. The buzzing sound is the pump filling the accumulator tank. Very cool system that gives full braking pressure even with the engine off. Maybe that's what you're hearing. The pump operates intermittently with the engine running.
Will the A/C compressor cycle when it is not on? I did not turn on the AC.

It was defintiely some kind of raise/lower engine rpms. As if i used my hand to tap the gas pedal very lightly. The needle barely moves but if you get close to it you see it shift a bit and down.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RunnerSE2006
Will the A/C compressor cycle when it is not on? I did not turn on the AC.

It was defintiely some kind of raise/lower engine rpms. As if i used my hand to tap the gas pedal very lightly. The needle barely moves but if you get close to it you see it shift a bit and down.
With A/C button off, compressor will only come on if controls are set to Defrost or Max Cold.

Hmm, the noise. How long was the engine running before it's heard? Is the engine fully warmed? Is your foot off the brake? Can you pinpoint the location by listening under the hood? Is it continuous or intermittent?

The only other things that come to mind are the emissions control system is scavengering tank vapors through the charcoal canister, or the gas cap wasn't fastened correctly. Try R&Ring the cap again, the new caps no longer ratchet continuously so maybe it isn't fully seated.

That pretty much plays out my ideas other than a loose/leaking vacuum line, but I'm sure that would throw a MIL. Time for the dealer to check it out at the alignment. Good luck...

Quick Reply: Oil Change Question - For 06 SE