03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

NEED HELP New 09 4Rnr Not Enough Headroom

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP New 09 4Rnr Not Enough Headroom

Dear Sirs,

Last evening I took delivery of a new 2009 Toyota, 4Runner, Limited, V8, with all of the options. Within the past couple of weeks, I've purchased 2 other Toyotas (both Highlanders--one V6 and one Hybrid) from my local dealer in southern IL. In order to purchase the 4Runner with all of the options that I wanted, it was necessary to purchase the vehicle from a Toyota dealer in Phoenix, AZ, and have it shipped to me in IL. I was delighted when the 4Runner arrived last evening, as it is to be my personal vehicle. Shortly afterward, however, I was quite disappointed. I discovered that with the seat in the furthest possible down position my head still comes into contact with the ceiling. If I open the sunroof shade and lean to the right, I have about 1/2" of clearance between my head and the glass. I am not overly tall. I'm 6' 2"; perhaps with a slightly greater ration of torso to legs than most, but not such that you would expect to find me in a circus sideshow. Last night, after encountering the problem and with downcast visage, I googled the matter and found it to be an issue for some persons when both the electric seat and the sunroof options are combined. I had test driven several 4Runners prior to purchasing this one and did not find headroom to be a problem. However, while some of the vehicles that I test drove had sunroofs and some had electric seats--none of them had both options. Therefore, my problem is that I have a brand new 4Runner with every possible option, and I am driving around with my head (to which I am rather attached) bouncing around within fractions of an inch of a sheet of glass. What can I do to solve this problem? I understand that the manual seats will adjust lower than will the electric seats, so one thought was to replace the driver's side electric seat with a manual seat. A second thought was to go to an upholsterer and have some of the cushioning removed from the seat. Any thoughts would be greatly welcomed.

Thank you
Old 08-14-2009, 07:54 AM

Old 08-14-2009, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not sure what to think of that one....
Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Welcome to YT

take it to a hot rod shop and have them tub the floor? but that would void your warranty

ditch the electric seat but retain it for when you sell/trade the vehicle down the road...

why have an some one pull the material when you could pull the cover and shave the foam easily yourself, but that would not be a good option because by the time you got enough room your butt would be riding on the springs.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:04 AM

When I searched this problem last night, the only applicable discussion that I found was one from yotatech.com and a fellow that had a similar problem with an 08. I think he ended up working with the dealer to unwind the purchase and purchase a different unit with manual seats. I suspect unwinding a purchase like that is a rare achievement; I'm hoping to find another solution.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Welcome to YT

take it to a hot rod shop and have them tub the floor? but that would void your warranty

ditch the electric seat but retain it for when you sell/trade the vehicle down the road...

why have an some one pull the material when you could pull the cover and shave the foam easily yourself, but that would not be a good option because by the time you got enough room your butt would be riding on the springs.
I'm only hypothesizing that replacing the electric with a manual seat will work, does anyone have experience that may serve to prove or disprove my theory that switching the seats may provide a solution?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 AM

It looks like I may be able to gain an inch (maybe two) by popping of the plastic facia from the sides of the seat and crafting some new brackets which will lower the seat. The plastic facia would have to come off or be cut down in order to lower the seat, because it's already touching the carpet.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Instead of sitting straight up why not just lean the seat back a wee bit??? I'm not saying you have to lay down but angle it back some and you're good to go.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
if you choose to lower the rear seat you will probably find that there is a plastic vent tube for the heat..it just pops off.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Instead of sitting straight up why not just lean the seat back a wee bit??? I'm not saying you have to lay down but angle it back some and you're good to go.
I tried that, but by the time I lean the seat far enough back to do any good, I'm back at really quite a great angle and it would be untenable for much length of time to drive in such a greatly reclined posture.

Another thought I had was to buy some aftermarket racing seats that may sit lower and have less padding.

I'm amazed that I haven't encountered this problem as being more widespread, since I'm not much over average height. Maybe I am a circus freak, but I hadn't believed so previously.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
it looks like you said that you test drove a runner with a sunroof and no power seats, so a manual seat should work as it would be the same set up that you test drove, another option would be customizing the brackets that attach to the bottom of the seat to mount it, you may be able to get an inch or so that way and probley could hide it enough that your warrenty would not be void.. good luck and let us know what you do.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:05 PM

I'm leaning toward customizing the brackets to lower the seat; in the meantime I'm talking with the dealer about unwinding the sale and purchasing a different vehicle or trading this one back in on a different vehicle; but that's all a little sickening when one thinks of the loss of money on a brand new vehicle. It won't be cheap to do the work to lower the seat either, but the major downsides to customizing the brackets are the potential warranty and liability issues. Well, we'll give it some thought and see how much of a hit I take on a trade in. Anyone want an 09 4Runner with everything and 86 miles on it?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:11 PM

I am having the exact same problem in my 2002 runner, sunroof with manual seats. I am barely 6' (and do not have an overtly long torso!) and my head still hits. I can lean back just far enough to help the situation, but I would really be interested in finding someone who could remount in a lower position. I have no warranty issues to worry about... Any suggestions for this type of work in the Denver Metro area?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Whatever you do, if this vehicle is under warranty involve the dealer (any dealer will do when it comes to warranty) and make sure that nothing voids your warranty. Unfortunately Toyota hasn't been as swell as they have in the past about their warranty and sometimes they try to look for any reason to have it voided. (Anyone read the most recent economist about Toyota "slipping??"

Anyhow While I have no clue I sure hope we at YT can help! And you and your 6 foot self just need to go get some inches chopped outta yer legs or something.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "slipping" as its called is because toyotas are being built here instead of Japan.Thats what happens when you dilute or pervert the gene pool.Its no longer a pure bred.

Last edited by Matt90V6SR5; 01-18-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:45 PM

i did not read this hole thread but i have a new gen tacoma same a 4 runner front seat and i am 6 5 and have 3 in from top of cab do you have auto seat? i have all options except power seats i hav locker 6 disc cd power eavry thing but not seats and i fit fine
Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 AM

I'm 6'1" and yes, my head is a little too close to the roof for comfort. I deal with it and just slouch down a bit (no big deal). I have the heated leather seats in mine. I wouldn't have picked that option but it was used and came with them. I have to say I am surprised at the lack of headroom.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

I've actually heard a lot about the lack of headroom in the 4runners. My friend FJCruzer ended up getting an FJ for that very reason. He used to have a 3rd gen 4 runner but at 6'4" He said it just wasn't working. The FJ has provided him with plenty of headroom and legroom. We are talking at least 4" to spare for his noggin in the FJ!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Slouch?

If you're not happy with it now do something about it fast while it's still brand new.
If it were me and I just dropped $30k or close to it on a vehicle I wasn't 100% happy with I'd trade it in and get what I wanted.
Any rational dealer will work with you since they've already earned your business once and they're about to earn it again.

Think about it very hard before you mod anything on that car.

Fink