Old 04-06-2004, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, i found my wheels...get your flaming glasses on

I'll have pics up later today.

Billy
Old 04-10-2004, 12:10 AM

Question

Billy, I love your truck the way it is! Why those wheels?

Let me give you a brief history on my obsession with the 4Runner, and what pics of your rig have done for me. I love the 3rd generation, and had considered it just before I ordered my '98 Jimmy. The 3 major problems I had with the last gen. were the antiquated 4WD system, the lame interior, and lack of engine power. While, the Jimmy isn't perfect, it satisfied me better than anything at the time. But, over the past few years, I began watching for information and spy shots on the 4th gen, and was religiously following the threads here, on Edmunds, and on the CarConnection. As things slowly started to come together, I finally got to see what it looked like, and I fell in love with the current design. Well, the Limited, at least. When I saw the gray cladding on the SR5 and SE at a secret sales introduction that I found out about, it was interesting at first, but I was soon turned off by it so much that I lost interest in the 'Runner. That combined with how the new design looks top-heavy on the stock tires and suspension height, had me looking elsewhere. My next obsession was in anticipation of several new models, including the H3, '05 Grand Cherokee, '05 Pathfinder and '05 Xterra.

But all that changed when I saw your rig gracing the pages of this forum. It gave me a new perspective on the 4Runner, and got me really excited, all over again. I'm glad Toyota got rid of the cladding, and I'm thrilled to see what it can look like with the right kind of proportions, as with your Galactic Gray beaut. I have now seen all of the new SUVs I mentioned above, and the new Xterra is the only one that looks cool in that group, but not as cool as your rig. So, now I'm back on track, and wanting a black SR5, or Sport Edition, loaded up and lifted with some nice-sized meats. My delimma with the Sport is that I really like the 5-spoke wheels, but maybe I can talk a fleet manager into swapping them out, or someone on line will be willing to help me out.

Which brings me back to my concern (in a rather drawn-out ramble). Everyone has their own tastes, obviously, but I just don't get why you're going with a wheel that's more along the lines of tuner rigs, and not off-road warriors. Your truck has been my inspiration, so I guess I'm just a bit puzzled. I hope I haven't offended you in any way. I'm just curious to hear what your thoughts are, and to see the final pics.

I also can't wait to read the full run-down on all the mods you've done. Just out of curiosity, if I get a new 4Runner, what do you think would be the cheapest way to get about a 2" lift? Spacers? What else would I need to do? I don't want to go as high as you have (I've got a 3 1/2-year-old and a wife who hates to climb too high), but I want it to have more ground clearance, while accomodating some bigger BFGs.

Thanks for the inspiration!

-TB

Last edited by tbcreative; 04-10-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:34 AM

TBCreative-

Hey, first of all, thanks bro...glad I could show you a 4th gen has hope! I'll do my best to answer your questions. First of all, black is gonna look awesome...that was my original intent. I have a set of those 17" 5 spoke wheels at my shop that you are talking about. I don't think they are spoken for at the current moment, but I would have to call and check...I would toss em to ya for essentially nothing if they are still around. As far as getting around 2" of lift, you have a few options. Daystar and Revtek both make 2.5"-3" kits thru the use of coil spacers. Downey has coilovers and new rear springs out that i think add around 3", but you could always crank the front coil overs down a bit...talk to Lance (Goodtimes) about this one. The spacers are obviously going to be your cheapest bet. With a lift of around 3" you will be able to fit 33's or 285's with minimal rubbing. You may also want to drop your panhard bar back to level to save some wear and tear on the rear end.

As far as my 22's... ...I put up another thread yesterday on what I had finally found and ordered. Upon finishing my lift I took my runner through some nasty offroading, and after getting up on 2 wheels a few times and coming close to rolling it...this all do to me flying thru rutted mud at 50 mph, etc, etc I concluded that I had put way too much tiime and $$ into my rig to trash it. I have had the Konig Tremor wheels that are on it now for four years, as they were first on a 99' blown taco, then in storage, and brought back to life on my runner now. I have been looking endlessly for a new set of 17's to go with the 315/70R17 BFG A/T's, but kept coming up empty. I am a big fan of painted wheels, and they are extremely easy to maintain. So, I started looking at 20" wheels, but couldnt find a tire smaller than 37" but larger than a 33". I then called a buddy of mine yesterday and asked him what was out or in the process of release to the public. He told me that Toyo had just come out with a 325/50R22 Open Country A/T that measures about 1/4" larger in both width and diameter than my 315's, or darn near a 35". I went and checked out the tread pattern and was extremely excited, as I had concluded that I was going to have to get a street tire.

Then the wheel search started all over again. After looking at endless Lexani's, Colorado Customs, Jesse James, etc. I finally found a wheel I liked. I put it up in the other thread, but I'll throw it in here too. It is a 22x9.5 Helo Hawk...just came out not too long ago...it is chrome in finish. We then made another phone call, and found a guy to add a translucent black powder coat to the wheel, giving it another layer of protection, and what should be an extremely cool look. So, that is where it sits. My wheels get should arrive in about a week or two, and the tires are on a back order.

I am moving back down to CA for the next 3 years to finish my second masters, and decided that if there was ever a time for me to toss on a set of large wheels, it was now. I will still have the BFG's around for wheeling, but to be honest with ya, the toyo's have a 50 series sidewall, so I am sure I will be taking them to the dirt as well...just not at 75 mph thru deep mud or rock jumping...

Again, I am glad I have turned your head in the direction of the 4th gen. I hated mine initially, as my 2 previous vehicles were an extremely tricked out blown ext cab taco and an 02' Lightning that was running a 12 sec 1320. But with some time, a ton of thinking, and the fabrication of many custom parts, I now love the runner to death. Sorry for the extremely long reply. I'll get pics up in a few weeks of the wheels...you can find em on the net...I have a masters thesis to finish till then. Later all...feel free to ask any other questions.

Billy
Old 04-10-2004, 04:21 PM

Cool

Billy,

Thanks for replying so quickly! I appreciate your help, and thanks for offering to check on those wheels. I had thought about custom wheels as well, especially if I wind up getting a Sport Edition, but I really like the 17" 5-spokes.

I'm still not sure whether I want to go with an SR5, or the Sport. I want the hood scoop (touches on my muscle car days), but I also want the V6, which is hard to find with a Sport Edition. I don't like the 6-spoke wheels, but it looks like that may have a remedy. I might have to order exactly what I want, but I may not get as good of a deal, even from the fleet manager. I ordered my Jimmy from the factory, and still got a sweet deal from a fleet manager, which is easier when we're not talking about a Toyota. So, what's your (or anyone elses) opinion on the SR5 vs the Sport Edition? I priced them both out with everything I want on Edmunds and CarsDirect, and there's only a small difference in price. What I'm wondering about is the X-REAS suspension, and how it affects the ride. I need to go drive a Sport, but anyone have any opinions on the matter? I'm planning on doing some fun off-roading, but I need a compliant ride.

Anyway, these wheels look MUCH cooler than the last ones you had picked out!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=42614

So, why the Toyos over the BFGs? Is it the highway ride? And why Toyos over say, Nitto tires? I love the BFGs on my truck, but I've been debating about which one to go with on a 4Runner. When I saw the older pics of your 'Runner with the Mud Terrains, I thought that would be the way to go. Then I saw you changed to the All-Terrains, and I thought there must be a harshness issue that you didn't like with the Muds. They sure looked cool, though!

Thanks again! I look forward to seeing more pics of your rig.

-TB

Last edited by tbcreative; 04-10-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Smile Hey, TBCreative!

Hey, TBCreative! It's good to see you here as well as on www.CarConnection.com. I think both you and I defected off of the H3.
I also want a 2004 Black SR5 V6 4x4 (mine with grey leather). Can't get leather on a Sport. That's how I decided SR5 vs Sport. The material in the sport wouldn't stand up to my Rottweiler so no hood scoop for me. But then again I don't think Billy had the scoop either and added it later on. I'll probably go with the Downey coilovers and the biggest BFG AT/KO tire on a 17" rim I can fit. I had the mud terrains and they just don't last long enough. Also from what I have read on here, even though a lift is possible, I just don't need or want the X-REAS. Any suspension after my leaf sprung Jeep will be awesome in comparison.

And Billy, I know it's your ride, and a awesome one it is, but why switch to the bling-bling wagon wheels? :cry:
Old 04-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

TB:

If you plan to do any offroading, I'd recommend ya stayin away from the 17" wheels (and the larger brakes that come with it). The biggest problem you'll run into are the wheels when you go aftermarket. You'll be stuck w/ 17" wheels which makes it difficult to find decent tires for great offroading. I'd recommend some mt/r's (goodyear) since you're in the Az area.

As for lift, you can use the xreas but if you plan to do any serious offroading, stay away from xreas. even though you can lift a xreas truck (just did one today), you'll be very restricted on how much you can lift and how to lift it.

When doing some serious offroading, you'll end up taking the swaybar's off and then at that point, what's the xreas useful for anyway. So choose your path safely You can always add a hood scoop later btw.

Good lucK!
Old 04-10-2004, 07:42 PM

GT-

Just curious if you and Biff were able to get his ride finished today...and also what you uncovered as far as the abs lines, etc. If you have any questions in the future, dont hesitate to call again...I hope to meet up with you all when I move back that way in august. Does Biff plan on posting pics??...I hope so!

Just to answer a few questions. My runner is an 4x4 SR5 V-8. I did add the SE hood later. I do not have x-reas. My front sway bar had to be removed when I added the 315's.

I actually loved my 33x12.5R17 Pro Comp M/T's. They were an awesome wheeling tire, especially in the mud, balanced out very well, and were also quiet on the highway...just wanted to go bigger. As far as the toyo on order, that is the only tire available in a 35" for a 22" wheel period. And they just happen to be all terrains, so it seems to fit the bill. My current tires, the bfg A/T's, are a great ice, rain, and snow tire, but clog up real bad when in the mud...though I have been blown away by their capabilities in every other condition.

Just be patient with me on the 22's. First of all, do any of you think there is anything truly "bling/ricey" on my vehicle??...I would have to say no. I will definitely agree with GT that 16's are the ideal wheel size to stick with for off-road tires. One thing you must remember about the new 325's and 22's is that a 50 series sidewall on a 22" wheel is still going to be pretty big...hypothetically 13" total, so 6.5" on each side of the wheel on a full measurement of the diameter.

Again, so far so good with my runner, right? Trust me 110% that I will show you all that with a little custom work (like usual ) 22" wheels and some huge tires are gonna look killer...just give me some time as the dinero is low at the moment. Enjoy your Easter Sunday everyone.

Billy
Old 04-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

man you may not be riced out with your 22s but my 22s will have me riced out like crazy...lol j/k BLING BLING DAWG
Old 04-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Contributing Member

tbcreative...thought your name looked familiar, i recognize your name from the caranddriver message board i think. man you get around i was on there a while back debating whether to get a 2002 or 2003 4runner before i found out about yotatech.

anyway, good choice on a 4runner.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Sure did the pics on are the SoCal Wrenchathon forum. Thanks for helping us out Billy, I appreciate it.

I will be taking the rig to the stealer, and fixing the ABS line, chuck it up as an install cost.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:10 PM

Biff-

Hey, the line is gonna run about $40, do you know which side it is??...I just replaced both of mine when the lights came on to be sure. The install is cake, so if you wanna save some $$, I can walk you thru it. Let me know, or just give me a ring. Again, just glad I can help...your ride came out awesome.

Billy
Old 04-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Billy

How can I tell which line it is? I tried connecting and disconnecting the lines but I still get the lights. I don't know how this happen Lance, and I were very careful with both the XREAS, and ABS lines.

Last edited by Biff; 04-11-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:11 PM

Biff-

First of all, have you tried disconnecting the battery and see if the lights reset??? If so, I am sure there is some way that you can test each line for current, but I am not the one to ask in that dept. Also, once you get the new lines on you will have to slam on your brakes a few times to get the computer to recognize the ABS, VSC, etc. is up and running again. Good Luck!

Billy
Old 04-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

I tried the battery, but no go.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:58 PM

I would just give TOR (Todd Packer) a call on monday at toyota of richardson. He always takes care of us yotatech guys. Just tell him you are from the forum and were sent in his direction. Here is his contact info:

Todd Packer
Toyota of Richardson
Parts Dept.
972-238-4465
800-527-2781

Personally, I would just order both abs lines. The retail is about $40 per line, but I know you would save going thru him. That way you are assured that everything is fixed.

Billy
Old 04-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

What do you think of going to the dealer and telling them the lights just came on. The warranty should cover it right?
Old 04-11-2004, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Biff
What do you think of going to the dealer and telling them the lights just came on. The warranty should cover it right?
As much as I would like to tell you that it would be covered, it isnt. I have seen dealerships void vsc, abs, trac control, etc. over just larger than stock tires. Just the way it works, and with a lift they most likely will ixnay the possibility right away. I am not saying it isnt worth a try, but dont get your hopes up...just live and learn.

Billy
Old 04-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Thats what I figured.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Banned

toyota of richardson, todd packer? i keep asking about dealerships around here and no one ever answers.

so todd packer is a good guy to go to?
Old 05-16-2004, 12:54 PM

i always feel good too when i stand beside another guy and to know i am way taller makes me feel good

Quick Reply: lifted 4th gen w/ 315's vs. stocker - PICS