03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

For lifted 4th gen owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For lifted 4th gen owners

Just curious. Anyone having any problems with your rigs as a result of the lift, or the lift kit's components itself so far? Thanks for the feedbacks.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Daystar kit here and XREAS as well, no problems. Have wheeled a number of times as well, done more than 4k already with lift and 3 time doing some good offroading.

Also look for lift results thread, where people gave some feedback.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:44 AM

I kant thipe!

Sorry, that should've been "their" and not "your".
Old 06-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

No problems with me. I've done some hard wheeling with my Daystar kit XREAS runner and she rides like a champ.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Banned

I've done a little hard wheeling with the Revtek 3" and Billy's 3/4" spacer - no problems whatsoever, I love it!! I wish it had come from the stealer this way! (wait, no i don't, they'd have messed that up too)

Old 06-29-2004, 12:45 PM

No probs here...just the ones I create so I can fix something new, lol.

I am most likely sitting as one of the highest 4th gen owners with 36's and 4"+ of lift in the front and about 4.5-5" in the rear.

Ground to fender front - 39.5"
Ground to fender rear - 41.75"

I dont have x-reas, but NE is working on new strut brackets that will allow all of you who want to retain the system to do so.

Again, pan hard drop brackets are sitting on our shelves...any lifted 4th gen would want to get this bracket to re-level the pan hard bar in the rear...let me know...peace.

Billy
Old 06-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Lifting resulted in the following issues:

Kit used:
Custom Downey Front Coilovers (should be on sale soon) - Only works for NON-XREAS systems (No questions about it)
Rear Downey Coil and Rear Doestech (sp?) Shocks

Stock upper a-arms hit the coils. I had to upgrade arms.
Also the lifting it destroyed my upper ball joints. (good thing I replaced them w/ the new arms as I know it would have been pretty bad).

Keep in mind I offroad ALOT and do ALOT of things I shouldn't be doing. Therefore my problems will not be an issue for those who do not offroad ALOT. Now offroading alot itself will not be an issue, it just depends on what kind of offroading you do. If you plan to do any rock crawling in which you will use your suspension to it's limits then expect the same damage as I have experienced. Btw, also expect body damage too... ugh

I've replaced my upper a-arms w/ Inland Truck Uniball Upper A-Arms and this has solved the problem of the arms hitting the coils. There are limitations to this setup but it works for now. My configuration will change as more companies come out with more products. Trust me, I'll test em out to see if it works well or not
Old 06-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Banned

don't worry, i'm working on the page, guys!!
Old 06-29-2004, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 4route
don't worry, i'm working on the page, guys!!
Hey!, give the girl some room, lol.

She has been working extremely hard on the site and it should be all up and new by the end of the week...just bare with us.

Billy

Last edited by fourunnabilly; 06-29-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Banned

future customer, you best hush! the uhom will getcha!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:34 PM

Hey all, I just posted this over at T4org and thought it may interest some of you 4th genners, lifted or not...just email me to the address below if you have any further questions.

Alright, I have just skimmed thru this thread and see that many of you are dealing with an un-level rear end. I have 5" of lift in the back of mine, and when I put the suspension together this last time(downey coils, revtek spacers, custom NE parts, etc) I added an extra 3/4" to the drivers side, and even after that I am about a 1/4" low. Not enough to be noticable now, but I have what we are calling "coil leveling shims" over at Nitrous Enterprises available in 1/2" tall discs that essentially sit between the coil and bump stop to level the vehicle. These are extremely easy to produce for us, and we have quite a few sets and singles sitting on the shelf right now, so anyone who is interested, please email me at: kegger187@yahoo.com and we'll take care of ya. Thanks all.

Billy

http://toyota-4runner.org/showthread...3556#post33556
Old 06-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Banned

cool, Billy!!
Old 06-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Billf6531

My apologies for a partial thread hi-jack, but I have an 03 with X-REAS, and I noticed some other threads mentioning difficulty installing lifts. Page 26-12 of the factory service manual is the start of the front shock R&R, and details how to completely remove the shock. It appears that the system seals itself when the large nut on right angle flange side, where the shock hose joins the frame line, is loosened. Hold the other nut from turning. When re-installing, the specs say to tighten the nut until there is a 1 mm gap between the two nuts.

Now for my question. There is an approximate 2.5 inch droop in the front. Is there a leveling lift available, so the ride height is the same, front and rear?

Where do I get it?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Banned

i would really not recommend removing the shock completely. it is much safer and easier to do the lift install with the shock still attached to the xreas line/hose.

the only kits you have available to you are the following:
Daystar's with 2.5" in front and 2" in rear
Revtek's with 3" in front and 2.5" in rear
or one of NE's which can be made to any spec. (contact Billy - kegger187@yahoo.com)

You can get the Daystar and Revtek kit at http://wheelersoffroad.com
Old 07-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Billf6531
My apologies for a partial thread hi-jack, but I have an 03 with X-REAS, and I noticed some other threads mentioning difficulty installing lifts. Page 26-12 of the factory service manual is the start of the front shock R&R, and details how to completely remove the shock. It appears that the system seals itself when the large nut on right angle flange side, where the shock hose joins the frame line, is loosened. Hold the other nut from turning. When re-installing, the specs say to tighten the nut until there is a 1 mm gap between the two nuts.

Now for my question. There is an approximate 2.5 inch droop in the front. Is there a leveling lift available, so the ride height is the same, front and rear?

Where do I get it?
Bill I noticed that as well on the XREAS system, before I did my lift. However when doing the lift I chickened out and just kept the shocks tied to the XREAS line. It's not really that bad. This was because I couldn't get any confirmation if this would work, also remember they state that you have to have all 4 wheels hanging in the air to do that. But you can be the first to do it!!!

In regards to lift to me it seems that lifting the front 1" more than the rear levels the 4Runner nicely. Some people have done more in terms of lift difference between front and rear. 4route already mentioned the two main suppliers of lift kits, but if you just want to level the front and rear and not lift the overall truck you probably want to shoot Billy a line to look at installing the front strut spacer. This should give you almost 1" lift in the front, which should bring it closer to level. It also has the advantage that it doesn't change the stiffness, shock travel and anything on the XREAS as it fits above the front strut.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

if you want to level your ride, you're best bet is to get the daystar lift.

Talk to Biff on here who has the daystar lift. He installed his own lift and only did the front and it came out looking pretty nice! Have him send ya some photos of his level truck and then you can decide whether you want to go w/ the daystar or do the revtek. Personally I'd just say daystar since it's cheaper and you're only doing the front anyway.

good luck
Old 07-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

With Goodtimes, help I was able to install a 2.5" Front Daystar lift. The runner works & feels great. Havent' lost a bit of ride quality, and my XREAS seems to have been enhanced because of the additional lift.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:30 PM

After you all have installed the lifts, how big can you go on tires - what size looks good?
Also, does the daystar only come with the 2.5 inch front spacers? What about the back?
Old 07-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Font change

The nitrous website has some good info but it is blinding to read with that font! I'd suggest something a little more readable as it was work to decipher some of the content because of the font. Otherwise a nice start to a website.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HuntRunner
After you all have installed the lifts, how big can you go on tires - what size looks good?
Also, does the daystar only come with the 2.5 inch front spacers? What about the back?

Comes with a Front and Back spacers. The back spacers are 2"

Quick Reply: For lifted 4th gen owners