03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Lifted 2004 SR5 V6 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Billy,

The rear shocks are foam filled and should do a great job even with your audio equipment. We install foam filled shocks on all the Ford superduty lift kits that we do. These trucks are very heavy and quite often overheat a gas filled shock and cause shock fade. The foam fill has a much more stable viscosity under in these applications and therefore are the best application.
The LT285/70R17 will rub slightly on the front of the fender liner. This is largely due to the fact that the bottom of the liner curves back into the opening of the fender. You can cut the front of the liner just enough to gain clearance and maintain good looks. In my opinion the cup at the bottom of liner needs to go as it collects gravel during 4-wheeling and the noise drives you nuts. I have had to clean mine out several times. Look at the liner from under the rig and you will see what I am refering to.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:00 PM

Yeah, what the heck is that cup for??
Old 10-29-2003, 09:11 PM

I couldn't figure that out. I cut a bigger hole in it before I lifted my runner. That seem to help alot. I was thinking that it might be there to deflect air into the brakes???
Old 10-29-2003, 11:38 PM

revtek is done

Took 2 of us about 2 hours. Was much easier and quicker than I could have imagined. Upon first glance @ the front spacers I thought that there was no way that they were going to provide 3" of lift...well, they easily did. The rear spacers on the other hand, appeared to be 3+ inches before install, but in my opinion aren't quite enough. The rear of my runner still needs to be raised a good inch to an inch and a half to satisfy me. But all in all, the lift is a piece of cake, and @ $419 is a great deal. Time for bigger tires...just a little low on cash. Finally got the tacoma aluminum front skidplate onto the front as well, using a few washers to space it down. It actually lines right up with the 2 tow eyes on the front. I'll post some pics this weekend. Gonna try and find me a shop to fabricate a couple of 1.5" spacers to add to the rear. Anyone have any other ideas? Laters.

Billy

On a side note, my brake light, vsc trac light, abs, and one other warning light have not gone off since completion of the lift. Anyone have any ideas on this one? Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:16 AM
Contributing Member

Billy, many of us will be looking forward to your pics. Try to get a couple of your differential angles. Thats great that it was fairly easy.

I do have a few questions for you though!

1. Where did you get the aluminum skid plate and what is the part #?

2. Did you have to remove the cap off of the spring assembly or did it go above the cap? If used, what type of spring compressor did you use?

3. What are the specs on your Runner? V8, 4x4, Limited.....blah, blah, blah (Thinking about the size of your rear springs).

4. Now that you're experienced, wanna do mine for me?

Doug M.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

"On a side note, my brake light, vsc trac light, abs, and one other warning light have not gone off since completion of the lift. Anyone have any ideas on this one? Thanks again."

Have you gotten these systems to return to normal?
Old 10-30-2003, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

I must have misread that. I was thinking there was no problem! Doh! As if someone had said you would have a problem or indicator go off.

Try resetting the computer by pulling the ecu.

Doug
Old 10-30-2003, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by momo.75
Sounds like somebody is a little jealous they can't afford an H2 and do with it what they want..... too bad.....
Sheesh,for 50 large I'd be in a ZO6 Vette;no way I'd pay that much for a truck. I'm still a sports car guy but I wanted a change of pace and give off roading a try till I can afford my next toy.

I know people hate my opinion of some people tastes but wouldn't you guys make fun of a guy who took a Vette and put 14 inch wheels and 4x4 tires on it;sorta defeats the purpose of a Vette don'cha' think?
Old 10-30-2003, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by X-AWDriver
Sheesh,for 50 large I'd be in a ZO6 Vette;no way I'd pay that much for a truck. I'm still a sports car guy but I wanted a change of pace and give off roading a try till I can afford my next toy.

I know people hate my opinion of some people tastes but wouldn't you guys make fun of a guy who took a Vette and put 14 inch wheels and 4x4 tires on it;sorta defeats the purpose of a Vette don'cha' think?
:cry: :cry:
Old 10-30-2003, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by momo.75
:cry: :cry:
I'm crying cause I can't afford even a base Corvette so I'll have to go a cheaper route the way I did with my Eclipse and find another factory turbo car.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 02Runner
Try resetting the computer by pulling the ecu.
This will not work. Since your truck has ODBII, you're gonna have to get a ODBII reader and have the reader clera the code. The only way to do it is go to Autozone and rent one (for free ofcourse - deposit required). In CA you can't do that anymore (apparently) so the other option is going to the stealer.

You can also just buy a ODBII scanner online for like 100 bucks too (another option).
Old 10-30-2003, 02:24 PM

Back to the comp...

Well, upon getting up this morning and looking again @ the vehicle, the front end probably settled about 1/2" over night. I just ordered a new tie rod end that I cross threaded in the install, but other than that, all is good. Snowed here today, and the ride quality is stiffer (good, IMHO), but still very nice. I am going to replace the shocks supplied by revtek in the rear with some heavy duty air shocks to take care of the sag. Then we are also going to custom fab brackets to attach a second set of rear shocks to stiffen the situation and take some pressure off the air shocks. I was running some air shocks made for a 79' Ford before the install (same size, worked great), but after gaining the 3", I obviously need 3" longer shocks. Anyone know of a good place to find some air shocks? 27" is the full extension. Thanks for the responses about what to due with my warning lights. I think Goodtimes has the answer, cause I have tried everything else. The tacoma skid plate looks good, just need to find some rubber to space it down, instead of a stack of 6 washers. On another note, 33's will fit easily, especially with a zero offset wheel. I try to answer the following questions.

I do have a few questions for you though!

1. Where did you get the aluminum skid plate and what is the part #?

2. Did you have to remove the cap off of the spring assembly or did it go above the cap? If used, what type of spring compressor did you use?

3. What are the specs on your Runner? V8, 4x4, Limited.....blah, blah, blah (Thinking about the size of your rear springs).

4. Now that you're experienced, wanna do mine for me?

Doug M.

1. I got the skid plate off of an ebay auction for $100...couldn't tell ya what the part # is.

2. I'm not totally sure on what you mean by the "cap", but here goes. You have to yank off the top piece that the shock runs through and remove the 3 stock bolts, replacing them with longer ones. The front spacer itself is actually a 2 piece deal. A black poly thing that is about 2+", and a steel spacer that adds another 3/4". The whole coilover shock assembly had to be removed and all of the spacers go directly on top of the stock rubber gasket atop the springs. We did not need to use a compressor...just popped the control arm ball joints and stuffed them back in.

3. The specs on my vehicle are as follows: 2003 4x4 V-8 SR5

4. I'd do your install in a heartbeat for $100 cash...that's what I paid my buddy to sneak into his shop, use their lift, and of course for his help in the install process. To sum it up, anyone should be able to do this lift with no probs what so ever. It is the first lift I have ever installed, and it could have been done while sleeping.

I'm gonna go check out the computer recommendation from good times. Hopefully I will get my digital back today and snap some shots over the weekend. Back to finishing the stereo and trying to pass my thesis for now. Peace.

Billy
Old 10-30-2003, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the detailed info and Good Luck with your thesis.

Doug M.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Back to the comp...

Originally posted by fourunnabilly
To sum it up, anyone should be able to do this lift with no probs what so ever.

Billy
Except your dash is now lit up like a christmas tree! I would not be able to sleep knowing every light in the warning gauge was flashing. Let us know if the Good Times fix worked.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by willymoe
The LT285/70R17 will rub slightly on the front of the fender liner.
Is that at full flex? I'll bet at full flex those tires are going to take a good bite into whatever it can find the the wheel well. I look at my wife's on flat ground with wheels fully cut right or left and I think when you stuff that big tire and then turn while wheeling it's going to grab something in there and hold on to it.

you got any close-ups of the 4wheeling and the clearance around the tires in certain situations? that would be nice to look at.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
geez

i still cant believe ppl cant get over other ppl's opinions about their cars. there is always going to be a difference of opinion so why can we all just like what we want. if everybody put lifts on there trucks, it would be cool. same as, if everybody and their brother drove navigators with spinners. thats why we have clubs and forums and there are ppl out there that are 'different' i know its a hard word for some of us to grasp, but come on, were all on the same team here! everybody is different! ~KyLe
Old 10-31-2003, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Sheesh,for 50 large I'd be in a ZO6 Vette;
yea, used!
Old 10-31-2003, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
yea, used!
Just pulled these out of the paper:

'02 ZO6 Yellow 4400 miles $43,999

'01 Z06 Blue 9600 miles $41000

'03 Z06 2300 miles $47,500

Still a bit much for my bank account but not untouchable and they'll be in the mid $30k range in a couple of years.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
friend of mine just bought one for 36K with 6000 miles on it!! unreal. spoiled *&%^.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Just pulled these out of the paper:
Like I said, "used."

pulled this from the chevy site and it doesn't included tax, tag, title, or even options:

Quick Reply: Lifted 2004 SR5 V6 Limited