03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Fan rubbing on radiator shroud?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan rubbing on radiator shroud?

Hey all, recently my radiator fan has begun slightly rubbing against the bottom inside edge of the radiator shroud. It seems to slowly be getting worse, ie: coming into contact more and more over time. I've looked everything over and can't seem to find anything thats obviously wrong so I figured I'd check in here to see if anyone else has had this issue or has some suggestions. I checked the motor mounts and they seem good. Checked the radiator and shroud and everything is nice and tight. Would someoone who has an '05+ Taco mind checking the clearance between the fan and the shroud so I can compare? I have about 2" clearance between the top of the fan blades and the shroud and only a few mm's on the bottom, and under certain conditions it even makes slight contact. You would think I had a body lift or something...but I don't.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
Hey all, recently my radiator fan has begun slightly rubbing against the bottom inside edge of the radiator shroud. It seems to slowly be getting worse, ie: coming into contact more and more over time. I've looked everything over and can't seem to find anything thats obviously wrong so I figured I'd check in here to see if anyone else has had this issue or has some suggestions. I checked the motor mounts and they seem good. Checked the radiator and shroud and everything is nice and tight. Would someoone who has an '05+ Taco mind checking the clearance between the fan and the shroud so I can compare? I have about 2" clearance between the top of the fan blades and the shroud and only a few mm's on the bottom, and under certain conditions it even makes slight contact. You would think I had a body lift or something...but I don't.
I know you said you checked the engine mounts, but you might want to look again, especially at the metal frame piece that the motor mount bolts to. If I recall correctly, there has been some reports of the engine support crossmembers rusting out where this piece is welded to it. This will cause the mount for the motor mount to drop into the crossmember and lower the engine. You also might want to try reving the engine while in gear (both forward and reverse) and holding the brake to see if the engine lifts more than it should in either direction, this will indicate a bad mount, just be careful and don't push it too far.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the advice. I actually found a bunch of info on that problem right after I posted this and I'm coincidentally down in so cal on a work trip at the moment and have an appt to visit Tim @ DMZ Fab so he can reposition the motor mounts back to spec and gusset them heavily to prevent future issues. He's fixed a few Tacomas suffering from this Issue with excellent results as well as done all the fab work on my truck prior to this. His work is top-notch. Anyone near so cal should consider calling him if they need this done to their truck.