03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Bought a used Tacoma... never made it home

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torpedo
Ok - I've got an update...

The mechanic said the oil pickup screen was clogged with crud. He said the engine was starved for oil and he didn't recommend reusing it.

On the bright side, they're going to replace it with a salvage yard engine with 56k miles and a 60 day warranty. My half of the engine will cost me $900 and I'll owe 1/2 of labor. He gave me the option of a 91k engine for $150 less but i opted for the lesser miles.

He expects everything to be done in the middle of next week - beginning of the following week.
I guess in the grand scheme of things, that's not all that bad. I would see if they would eat the labor though, as you have already spent way more time on this deal than you should have. I'm assuming you had to foot the bill for the hotel, and whatever travel arrangements you had to change/make?

In the end, I guess you are getting a newer motor and a 60-day warranty on it. Be sure all of this stuff gets documented and signed by both parties.

Fink
Old 10-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry for your troubles but you got hosed, coming and going.
Way nicer than I would have been.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-28-2011, 08:43 AM

Considering i bought a truck with 190k miles for $10k and I'm leaving with a 190k truck and engine with 56k miles for ~$12k, I'm not gonna complain. All this could've been much worse. I could've been paying for towing a truck from Tupelo to Atlanta, the cheapest engine i could find has been $2300 and footing the bill for labor all myself. Easily more than $5000 when it was all said and done.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Have you been staying in Tupelo this whole time?

Fink
Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Sorry for your troubles but you got hosed, coming and going.
Way nicer than I would have been.

:wabbit2:
Gotta be positive. If i had been a jerk it would've gotten me no where. I liked the truck so if i could end up with the truck in a better state than it was in when i started, all i've really lost is time and a little stress.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Fink
Have you been staying in Tupelo this whole time?

Fink
Heck no! My wife came and picked me up. Its about a 4 hour drive. I'm figuring that in to my total expenses.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I'd be damned if I spent 2k on an engine for a truck I just bought off a lot for $10k. Isn't there laws against this in most states? Sounds like offering to pay for half etc etc is just a cop out from you taking legal action against him for selling you a vehicle in poor shape.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-28-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Heck no! My wife came and picked me up. Its about a 4 hour drive. I'm figuring that in to my total expenses.
I would tell them to pay for your travel arrangements, minus the initial flight, but including the gas and time expense for you and your wife now that you are having to go back and forth.

I did this when I bought a previous car, I went to pick it up and it needed some paint work done that they never disclosed. I told them that's fine, but they are paying me the $20/hr I would have been getting at work if I didn't have to drive back and forth. They agreed.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 10-28-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Like others have said get everything in writing and signed by all parties involved.
Check the warranty carefully you don't want to have to tow it all the way to back to Ole Miss if you need work... make sure you can choose the shop that does any work.

Unusual that the pick up would be sludged up... obviously regular maint. was not part of that trucks history... also not something that would have necessarily shown up in a normal cert. / pre-sale inspection.

I would ask them to cover at least the cost of the second trip to get it.

Knowing this I'd make sure you check all the driveline fluids [tranny/transfer/diffs] your self and replace them with fresh also grease everything.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aviator
Knowing this I'd make sure you check all the driveline fluids [tranny/transfer/diffs] your self and replace them with fresh also grease everything.
Exactly.

If the engine was jacked up as bad as it was, you can better believe everything else is too. I would definitely change out all of the other fluids, and maybe look at getting some flushes done.

Bring that bad boy back up to the condition it should be in before driving it off the lot...again...

Fink
Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Like others have said get everything in writing and signed by all parties involved.
Check the warranty carefully you don't want to have to tow it all the way to back to Ole Miss if you need work... make sure you can choose the shop that does any work.

Unusual that the pick up would be sludged up... obviously regular maint. was not part of that trucks history... also not something that would have necessarily shown up in a normal cert. / pre-sale inspection.

I would ask them to cover at least the cost of the second trip to get it.

Those are all great points and a tranny/diff service is definitely something i'm gonna make a priority. Im actually planning on bringing it up when i speak to the salesman and ask about including it in with the labor for installing the engine. If not, i'll get it done on the way home or as soon as i get home.

Everyone keep in mind, this isnt a big dealership... its just a small town little place. As long as things go as they are, i feel comfortable with it. Theres a certain level of self accountability in this too and if i wasn't prepared for something bad to happen i shouldn't have bought a high mileage vehicle. I signed the as-is documents and as long as its not some glaring deceit by the dealership - which i don't believe it was - I should have to pay for whatever happens.

I have to give the salesman/owner (same guy) credit for not just leaving me hanging. He paid for the tow truck to come get the truck 40 miles away on a Sunday and he's been very courteous since. I havent spoken to a lawyer, but every law that i've read says he's not liable to spend a dime on this repair.

If you cant tell... I'm refusing to be negative about this. Everything will work out.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
your right,guess it could have been worse. if the motor has 56k, you are gettin a better deal. good luck with everything.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Those are all great points and a tranny/diff service is definitely something i'm gonna make a priority. Im actually planning on bringing it up when i speak to the salesman and ask about including it in with the labor for installing the engine. If not, i'll get it done on the way home or as soon as i get home.

Everyone keep in mind, this isnt a big dealership... its just a small town little place. As long as things go as they are, i feel comfortable with it. Theres a certain level of self accountability in this too and if i wasn't prepared for something bad to happen i shouldn't have bought a high mileage vehicle. I signed the as-is documents and as long as its not some glaring deceit by the dealership - which i don't believe it was - I should have to pay for whatever happens.

I have to give the salesman/owner (same guy) credit for not just leaving me hanging. He paid for the tow truck to come get the truck 40 miles away on a Sunday and he's been very courteous since. I havent spoken to a lawyer, but every law that i've read says he's not liable to spend a dime on this repair.

If you cant tell... I'm refusing to be negative about this. Everything will work out.
So is the engine swap being done by a Toyota-certified Master Technician? That would be an absolute must for me.

You have my respect - I'm a glass half-full kinda guy, but I would have lost my cool on this deal for sure.

Fink
Old 11-11-2011, 03:03 AM

$1480 is my half of the new engine & labor. All things considered, I'm satisfied with the outcome. For less than $1500 i cut 150,000 miles off of my new truck. I wish things had gone smoother the first time, but it is what it is.

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow morning.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

Good luck and have a safe and "uneventful" trip home.

ps check the oil and coolant/brake/clutch levels before you leave... some times they forget to top those up and or you may catch a problem before you take possession.

Last edited by aviator; 11-11-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:47 PM

Well... good and not so good news.

She ran great and made it home. The engine never missed a beat.

The not so good... I'm only guessing, but i think theres something not quite right about the transmission.

Not long after i left the dealership i noticed a very small vibration from 60-65mph. It would smooth out after that range and before that range. Then after ~100 or so miles on the highway at 70+mph i pulled off to top off with gas and grab a drink. When leaving the gas station i noticed a weird slip when i would pull off from a stop. I had a 92 landcruiser a while back and when i got it, it wasnt down shifting so i had to adjust the kickdown cable... thats the best way i can describe this feeling. Its only for a second right when i hit the gas. When i put it in 4th instead of drive, i dont feel it at all. I followed the suggestions and had the dealer service the tranny, diffs, and balance the tires prior to me picking it up.

Anyway, here it is in all its broke a$$ glory. I'll get it right eventually...

Old 11-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Oddly... the wife and I went and ran a few errands tonight and the truck drove great. No slipping or anything, but I didn't get over 50mph.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least you still feel like you came out okay in the end.

Did you drain all the fluids and put in top quality factory recommended fluids? That is the first thing to do every time i buy a new vehicle.

Funny trans...maybe they just changed the trans fluid and it wasn't the right stuff?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:23 PM

nice lookin truck man, hope you can get all the bugs out of it
Old 11-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Slipping in the gear shifting is not un-common for a transmission that is old and has just been flushed. Especially if it was only like the first time it had been done! Given some time hopefully it will even out for you. I'd just suggest driving it easy for a while until that fluid can get a little seasoning and help the gears. Had a friend with an only Ford that did the same thing and I work at a Lube shop now myself. Heard of it happening from some people then a week later they magically don't have it nearly as bad. Considering the motor's condition I wouldn't doubt that the Trans had previously never been serviced. Best of luck to you in the future and I hope the rest of it is smooth sailing for you.

Quick Reply: Bought a used Tacoma... never made it home