03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Affordable maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Affordable maintenence

Hello all. My 2004 4Runner recently came up on 30,000 miles, and as such it is in need of new spark plugs, a coolant change, etc.

I'm using Edmunds maintenence prices as a guideline. Toyota is quoting me prices that are at least double what Edmunds says they should cost. Other shops are quoting me a more reasonable 50% more than what Edmunds quotes.

I guess my question is if there exists a place where I can get these services done that are in line with what Edmunds says they should cost? And if so, how can I find it? Any recommendations or store suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-21-2006, 10:09 AM

This is what I do not understand.... I thought Toyota used 100,000 mile spark plugs and they say @ the 30,000 mile marker you havr to change them out...

Mo Money Mo Money

I would just go the coolant and say screw the rest, but that is me.... A 60,000 mile fluid swap is a better service interval for the trans, differentia, collant and etc.... Spark plugs, maybe @ 60,000.

Get the coolant done and forget about the rest.... Save your money.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:30 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
First off - never take anything to the dealer unless it's warranty. To all you good dealer mechanics out there and those rare breed of honest service manager - sorry - you're the exception. But the rest - they don't deserve our business - they did it to themselves - they lie, overcharge, and generally have poor customer service.

Call around, ask around. Once upon a time I used a local small shop that I found by referral. They were awesome and reasonable on charges too. It's been many years since I paid anyone to do any work to anything I own, but finding a good shop and sticking with them pays off - they take care of their regulars. While you should be able to do an oil and filter change yourself, at 30k miles as the newness is wearing off, there are a lot of little things that should probably be looked at. It's worth doing. (replace the coolant at 30k? what on earth FOR?)
Old 02-21-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
First off - never take anything to the dealer unless it's warranty. To all you good dealer mechanics out there and those rare breed of honest service manager - sorry - you're the exception. But the rest - they don't deserve our business - they did it to themselves - they lie, overcharge, and generally have poor customer service.

Call around, ask around. Once upon a time I used a local small shop that I found by referral. They were awesome and reasonable on charges too. It's been many years since I paid anyone to do any work to anything I own, but finding a good shop and sticking with them pays off - they take care of their regulars. While you should be able to do an oil and filter change yourself, at 30k miles as the newness is wearing off, there are a lot of little things that should probably be looked at. It's worth doing. (replace the coolant at 30k? what on earth FOR?)
Coolant is something I would change, I know it is long life stuff too. I just like to keep the coolant fresh.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rivalred
This is what I do not understand.... I thought Toyota used 100,000 mile spark plugs and they say @ the 30,000 mile marker you havr to change them out...

Mo Money Mo Money
He probably has the V6. The V8 has the 100k plugs while the V6 needs to be changed at 30K.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sharp4runr
He probably has the V6. The V8 has the 100k plugs while the V6 needs to be changed at 30K.
Are ya sure the V6 ones are 30K plugs? Even the 1.8 1ZZ has like 100K plugs.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
who in the world makes a 30K plug THESE days!!!! at the very least i would think 60K
Old 02-22-2006, 11:21 AM

Replace engine oil and oil filter 1
Rotate tires
Lubricate propeller shaft (4WD)
Replace spark plugs (1GR-FE) 2
Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
Replace engine air filter
Replace cabin air filter (if equipped)
Inspect the following:
Automatic transmission fluid
Ball joints and dust covers
Brake lines and hoses
Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs 3
Drive shaft boots (4WD)
Engine coolant
Exhaust pipes and mountings
Front differential oil (4WD)
Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
Fuel tank cap gasket
Radiator core and condenser
Rear differential oil
Steering gear box
Steering linkage and boots
Transfer case oil (4WD)

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:

Driving While Towing
Replace front differential oil (4WD)
Replace rear differential oil, including limited-slip
Replace transfer case oil (4WD)
Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis
Driving in Desert or On Dirt Roads
Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis

Applicable Footnotes:
1) Reset the oil replacement reminder (“MAINT REQD”) light after replacing engine oil, if vehicle is equipped with this light.

2) Required under the terms of the Emission Control Warranty.

3) Inspect thickness measurement and disc runout.
This is taken from http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/
The V6 engine code is 1GRFE... This applies to Tacomas that have the same engine