03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4runner vs Wrangler

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner vs Wrangler

HI, i will be getting my first car in about a month or two, my parents say i have two choices the wrangler unlimited and the toyota 4runner. I love the 4runner for many reasons such as its masterful engine and being very capable on-road and off-road but one thing the jeep has it the convertible top which im a sucker for. I was thinking maybe the more experienced people can help me out here. Which has more after market products and are there special areas where one succeeds and the other fails...THANKS
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM

Jeeps suck. Toyota's dont. You decide.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Slednutjetskier
Jeeps suck. Toyota's dont. You decide.
sounds non-biased to me
Old 08-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by I LOVE TEXAS
HI, i will be getting my first car in about a month or two, my parents say i have two choices the wrangler unlimited and the toyota 4runner. I love the 4runner for many reasons such as its masterful engine and being very capable on-road and off-road but one thing the jeep has it the convertible top which im a sucker for. I was thinking maybe the more experienced people can help me out here. Which has more after market products and are there special areas where one succeeds and the other fails...THANKS
What years are you taking about? 3 or 4th gen 4runner / previous or new generation jeep. What are you going to be using the vehicle for (DD/trail rig/street queen)?

My opinion the newer wranglers are kind of funky looking but they rubicon wrangler is what you want (jeeps aren't all bad just reablity). 4runner I'm baised towardse the 3rd gens (more aftermarket support and I own one), 4 gens don't float my boat but they have a nicer engine.
Basically it comes down to your choice and what vehicle fits your needs the most.

Last edited by wormhole; 08-10-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

I have owned both so I guess I can tell you what I think. I once owned a jeep and that's the reason I own a 4runner now. You can make your rig as capable as you want that's why own a 4runner. Jeeps are cool because you can take off the top but honestly it gets old after a while especially when you get crap all in the inside because of a mud whole or because the weather turns for the worst. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Not to sound like a jerk, but have you done any research on the subject?

IMHO, here's basic summary, in a nutshell:

Jeeps: legendary name, strong aftermarket support, mediocre reliability reputation. Can be built strong, but still has reliability issues.

Toyota: legendary name, good (and growing) aftermarket support, legendary reliability reputation. Can be built just as strong as any Jeep, fewer reliability issues.

I recommend that you do some searching, and reading, because this is all stuff that you're gonna wanna read firsthand.
We're a bunch of Toyota guys: of course Toyotas rule...

Old 08-10-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeep: Better off-road(SFA, electronic sway-bar disconnects..ect), mediocre reliability, very strong after market.
Toyota: Reliability, growing aftermarket support

I have owned both a 1st Gen 4Runner and my current ZJ. My Jeep has had its issues, but so did my 1st Gen. Gotta learn to love it or hate it. I have a new respect for Jeeps after getting my Grand Cherokee and actually seeing what it can do. With a SFA stock and a minor lift the Jeep flexes like crazy and I have only gotten stuck with it once in the deep soon before the lift. But as always to each there own.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:24 PM

yeah thanks for all the help im definately leaning towards the 4runner probably an '05, but the aftermarket products for the jeep and the removable top still leave a little to be desired, i will probly spend 80% of my time on the road but also a lot of trail riding and mudding too...i guess ill just have to wait and see what happens
Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 PM

I have also had both and I love my 4runner and I will take my 4runner again if I ever had the choice again. the trans went out on my jeep after only a few years with very little wheeling or towing done with it.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by I LOVE TEXAS
Stay with the Toyota. My work vehicle is an 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with the OME lift and ARB bumper. It is a great off road machine, but it sucks on the pavement...it was not made for the city life. The 4runner seems to have the best of both worlds. I have not owned a 4runner, but have had many toyota trucks and they have proven themselves to be great. The Jeep has already been to the shop for problems that should not have occurred. At least you can spend your extra money on modifying the 4runner and not repairing the Jeep.

Good Luck.
2wptaco
Old 08-10-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an '06 Wrangler Unlimited (the last year of the previous generation Wrangler), which I traded in on my '06 Tacoma..

I had a few problems with the Wrangler, all of which I would consider minor, and all of which were satisfactorily covered by warranty.

I had the factory hard top on it, and I kept the soft top in my shed and never used it after the hard top was installed by the dealer. With the hard top, the radio sounds better, you can talk to passengers easier, there's much better security, and it seals better against bad weather.

My 6 speed manual Wrangler with the 4.0 (which was rated 15 MPG city and 19 MPG highway) rarely, if ever, got better than 16 MPG. My '06 Tacoma with a 5 speed automatic (18 city, 21 highway) recently got 21 on a 380 mile trip that was mostly interstate.

Of course, the last generation of Wrangler has the aerodynamics of a brick, and the 4.0 inline 6 cylinder that was in it was based on an old engine design that went back to the 232 cubic inch 6 cylinder, which I think started production in 1963. The 4.0 V6 Tacoma has the advantage of having a new engine design with variable valve timing, which helps both power and milage. So comparing milage between the two is almost unfair. The Tacoma wins hands down.

The automatic Tacoma gets a little more MPG than the manual Tacoma.

However, the Wrangler engine is a well proven design, and is about as durable as any engine can be. I think only the Ford 300 6 inline cylinder or Toyota 22R/22RE could outlast the Jeep 4.0 before needing a rebuild, and even then it would be a close call.

From what I have found out, the current Wrangler's 3.8 V6 gets the same fuel economy as the old 4.0. It has more HP and about the same peak torque, but has less low end torque (grunt) than the 4.0. It also has more weight to move around.

The German built 6 speed transmission that was offered starting (I think) in '04 and is still offered in the current generation is the best manual transmission ever offered in the Wrangler. First gear is almost a granny gear, and in low range with the factory 3.73 axle gears and the 31" tires I added (came with 30" tires stock), it was an excellent rockcrawler. Just imagine how much better the Rubicon version would be with it's 4.10 axle gears and 4 to 1 ratio low range.

My stock Wrangler did very well off road, and the only advantages my Tacoma has (comparing stock to stock) was the manual rear locking differential, more clearance under the belly (my Wrangler had a skidplate that hung down very low and was shaped in such a way that it caught on stuff easily), and more ground clearance under the front differential.

However, with the dizzying amount off aftermarket stuff to choose from, the low hanging skidplate can be replaced with one that is smoother on bottom (drags easier across rocks, etc.) and doesn't hang down as much, and there's so much more than can be done to the Wrangler.

The solid front axle of the Wrangler is simpler than the Tacoma front axle, and is quite strong, and it can more easily be upgraded for strength than the Tacoma front axle (assuming the Tacoma has any upgrades at all). So the Wrangler front axle will be less likely to break or wear overall, and there's more locker/limited slip choices. Plus, the Rubicon version can be had with a selectable front locker. There's no such factory option for the Tacoma.

The Jeep rear Dana 44 is plenty strong enough. It has the same size axle shafts as the Tacoma, and has a larger ring gear. The Tacoma rear axle is plenty strong enough, and has more clearance under the pumpkin. Both have plenty of strength upgrades, both can be had with a manual locker (Rubicon and TRD)

The Tacoma handles and rides much better. My 4 door cab Tacoma has more passenger room (seats 3 in the rear versus 2) compared to my Wrangler, although the new Wranglers are wider and have more room inside than mine did. And the Tacoma is easier to get in and out of. So I would much prefer my Tacoma on a long trip over the Wrangler that I had.

Most of what applies to the Tacoma also applies to the 4Runner.

Basically it boils down to what you will be doing. Will you be going off road alot? Can you handle using more fuel and having a shorter fuel range? Can you handle a rougher ride? Will the Wrangler carry enough passengers for you? Will it have enough power and tow enogh for you? If you answered yes to these questions, get the Wrangler. Wrangler owners tend to be very loyal to their Wranglers, and they even wave to each other while going down the road. They only other time I ever encountered such a following and brotherhood among owners is among motorcycle riders.

If you answered no to these questions, get the 4Runner. It will give you less headaches overall than the Wrangler, and will be easier to live with on a daily basis. It should also do quite well off road.

Last edited by William; 08-10-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:43 PM

I dont know what is on the rental lots if it is 06's or 07's for both models but if you got the time try renting one on different weekends that would be quite similar to an 05 model you are intrested in. I have done this in the past and it will give you the best unbiased opinion and can help you when dealing with the sales person as they will tell you their product is the best. I tried a jeep and then the 4Runner, I liked it so well I now own two 4runners. I have never dealt with Toyota on warranty work so I have no opinion on that, but I have had my battles with American car companies for warranty work. Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:44 PM

i dont care for the smugness that comes with all of the jeeps. when someone owns one they think they are indestructible. i would buy a 4runner over the jeep, even if it had no motor in it. most of the people on this toyota site will tell you to get the 4runner, it is just sound advice.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:58 PM

i had a jeep that had 127000 miles and i bought it for $7k. by the time i was fed up with fixing it i had dumped $4k into fixing it, not upgrading just keepinbg it on the road. i drive a Tacoma now with 162000 mile on it and ive put $4k into upgrading it and $15 fixing it (clutch master cylinder). Personally i would rather have a reliable vehicle than a convertible. P.S. YOU SHOULD CHECK INTO YOUR LOCAL BODY SHOP. A LOT OF SHOPS CAN MAKE YOUR 4RUNNER INTO A CONVERTIBLE OR AT LEAST GIVE YOU A SUN ROOF FOR LIKE $600
Old 08-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gabrielthetacoma
i had a jeep that had 127000 miles and i bought it for $7k. by the time i was fed up with fixing it i had dumped $4k into fixing it, not upgrading just keepinbg it on the road. i drive a Tacoma now with 162000 mile on it and ive put $4k into upgrading it and $15 fixing it (clutch master cylinder). Personally i would rather have a reliable vehicle than a convertible. P.S. YOU SHOULD CHECK INTO YOUR LOCAL BODY SHOP. A LOT OF SHOPS CAN MAKE YOUR 4RUNNER INTO A CONVERTIBLE OR AT LEAST GIVE YOU A SUN ROOF FOR LIKE $600

Shoot, I'll make your Runner into a convertible for like, $100 bucks...

Just lemme grab my Sawzall...
Old 08-10-2007, 04:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've worked at Jeep, I now work at Lexus (owned by Toyota). I've never heard anybody say they love their Jeep. Now at Lexus, I hear customers saying they love their car almost everyday.
They also seem to be built using alot more common sense. I work on other cars, and think to myself, "why did they do it like that? Toyota would have done this:"
Time to get off my box.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:46 PM

the one thing i think a jeep really has going for it is the solid front axle. about the taking the top off ,find a first gen 4runner take the top off and get a soft top kit for it .And with a 22re in it you have a great truck
Old 08-10-2007, 05:04 PM

WILLIAM thanks for the book...i mean essay, it was very informative and im leaning way towards the 4runner except you cant take off the roof...or doors
Old 08-10-2007, 05:27 PM

First gen 4Runners had a removable top.

Actually, any 4Runner can have a removable top. You just need a Sawzall, and a lot of patience
Old 08-10-2007, 05:50 PM

i wanted a jeep for the longest time until i got my 4runner and i havent regretted it since. yes the SFA is a big selling point and the reliable Jeep name, but i honestly wouldnt want one for an everyday driver. both vehicles will have their up's and down's, but having driven both i realize the 4runner is the best choice IMHO.

Quick Reply: 4runner vs Wrangler