03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

2005 Tacoma pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I could drive one. Thanks for the photos. They remind me to order the wheel locks.

I still can't tell, and haven't seen it on spec sheets: On the rear, does it have discs, and leaf or coil springs for X-Runner?
Old 02-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by outdoorfever
i absolutely love the looks of this truck...you know, toyota just over took ford for second place money sales..they say in a few years they hope to be in front of gm.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but Toyota surpassed Ford in unit sales. They surpassed GM, Ford and D-C COMBINED in profitability.

I think the V-8 would ruin the chassis dynamics of the X-Runner. We learned from the 4th Gen 'Runner that the iron block V-8 adds 130 lbs. compared to the alloy V-6, all of it over the front axle. Also, in looking at the engine bay views, I don't think there's enough length for the V-8. I'm guessing that V-8's will be reserved for Tundra-class trucks, 'Runners and Land Cruisers.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:44 AM
ForeWheeler

Originally posted by kyle_22r
jeeez...my longbed is shorter than that!

whatever happened to making mini trucks? they have the tundra, why does the tacoma have to be just like it now?
Because the Taco is base on the 4Runner (or vice versa), which grew in size.. thus you'll get a bigger Tacoma. Personally, I like size of the new 4Runner/Tacoma. The previous ones just seems a little too cramp, especially the width - too narrow.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:47 AM
ForeWheeler

Originally posted by kyle_22r
bigger isn't better, well, in my book anyway
You mean, "Bigger isn't necessarily better"... not everything big is bad.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
like someone said i think there is a lot going on with all the side skirts and arch on the bed. too many wierd bodylines. simple looks better i think. the photochop pics look great, i think the 4x4 version will look a lot better. the interior is nice, but i don't like the center unit or pod or whatever you want to call it. sounds like it is going to be a powerhouse with a 4.0 supercharged v6. should be impressive numbers there. the xrunner should be very appealing to the go-fast 2fast2furious crowd.

will there be a locker in the 4x4 version?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:46 AM

Thanks for posting the pics, Vato. These give a much better impression of what the truck looks like in real life, I think. You can get a better idea of what the other Taco versions will be like. I really like the new truck now. I don't think the design has gotten away from the lines of the current taco at all, at least no moreso that the '01 front end redesign. The headlights are a bit much, but I figure the the other models will prolly have simpler lights. If you look at the filler plates beneath the headlights you can see how easy it would be to make a trim level that didn't have the little character angle at the bottom.

Did anybody else notice what appears to be a sliding tonneau cover on the bed? ( )
Old 02-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Xtracab version with a little body trimming for better approach/departure angles. Sorry, didn't have time to do the wheels...

Old 02-10-2004, 02:50 PM

THANX, Baja Taco!... Finally - an experimental PhotoChop that really portrays the '05 as a _truck_ and not a flashy street machine (which, of course, the X-Runner is designed to be). *Now* I'm starting to warm up to the redesign.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:32 PM

More road holding ability than a Z and room for me to throw muddy-@$$ bike and trash bags.

Hate not the flashy street machine!

(I still hate the term "hate")
Old 02-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by EnolaGaia
THANX, Baja Taco!... *Now* I'm starting to warm up to the redesign.
Yea, I was looking at it, and the wheel wells look kinda generous in size if the fenders get a little trim... and the body lines seem to compliment approach/departure angles if you wanted to trim the rear 1/4 panel and take the bottom valance off the front bumper and trim it up, or replace it alltogether... much like the Taco that we are used to.

I was also comparing the dimensions given on the press release with the specs for the '04 D-cab 4x4, and it doesn't seem that much bigger, which is kind of a relief to see. Now we will just have so see if they ditched the e-locker :cry: and made the suspension weaker... hopefully not!
Old 02-11-2004, 04:34 AM

Someone over on 4x4 wire said the new Tacoma will share the same platform as the Chevy Colorado. They said this was also stated on TTORA. Does anyone know if this is true? Someone also said there is a spy shot of the 2005 4x4 Tacoma in a mag (JD Powers maybe?).
Old 02-11-2004, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Highland Runner
Someone over on 4x4 wire said the new Tacoma will share the same platform as the Chevy Colorado. They said this was also stated on TTORA. Does anyone know if this is true? Someone also said there is a spy shot of the 2005 4x4 Tacoma in a mag (JD Powers maybe?).

Uhhh...what?
Old 02-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Compare the dimensions, especially wheelbase, and you'll see that it isn't true.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by BT17R
Not to put too fine a point on it, but Toyota surpassed Ford in unit sales. They surpassed GM, Ford and D-C COMBINED in profitability.

I think the V-8 would ruin the chassis dynamics of the X-Runner. We learned from the 4th Gen 'Runner that the iron block V-8 adds 130 lbs. compared to the alloy V-6, all of it over the front axle. Also, in looking at the engine bay views, I don't think there's enough length for the V-8. I'm guessing that V-8's will be reserved for Tundra-class trucks, 'Runners and Land Cruisers.
Rumor has it that the new Tacoma will have the V8 option, if not this year, definitely next year. It is supposedly getting the V8 currently in the Tundra, and the Tundra is getting a bigger V8. Toyota is also contemplating getting rid of the 4cyl in the Tacomas and going solely with the V6 and V8.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by nees1212
Rumor has it that the new Tacoma will have the V8 option, if not this year, definitely next year. It is supposedly getting the V8 currently in the Tundra, and the Tundra is getting a bigger V8. Toyota is also contemplating getting rid of the 4cyl in the Tacomas and going solely with the V6 and V8.
That sounds like a reasonable product development cycle. I just wonder how they'll squeeze the 2UZ 90° V-8 into the Tacoma engine bay that looks stuffed full with the 1GR 60° V-6? The 4th Gen 'Runner is 2" wider than the '05 Taco and accommodates either engine easily. The new Taco looks like it would be a real packaging nightmare with the V-8, but I hope you're right.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:39 PM

The 05 Tacoma = Colorado (platform) rumor started up a week or so ago on multiple forums, but I've been unable to pinpoint where it started. These two trucks are both new 'mid-size' models, so they're direct competitors. I suspect the origin of the 'same platform' rumor is the fact Taco's (currently, and for a little while into the future) are built at the NUMMI plant in Fremont CA (co-owned by GM, where multiple GM models are also produced). However, I don't know if Colorados will be built at NUMMI.

There are multiple references to the spy shot being in either the 'current', 'latest', or 'Fall' (?) issue of the JD Powers magazine. I can't find it on any local newstands, so I can't confirm its existence or the spec's on what exact issue to look for.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by BT17R
That sounds like a reasonable product development cycle. I just wonder how they'll squeeze the 2UZ 90° V-8 into the Tacoma engine bay that looks stuffed full with the 1GR 60° V-6? The 4th Gen 'Runner is 2" wider than the '05 Taco and accommodates either engine easily. The new Taco looks like it would be a real packaging nightmare with the V-8, but I hope you're right.
This is just something I heard from a very reliable source. I would like to see the V8 option, but ditching the 4cyl might hurt sales some unless they lower the cost of the V6, which I doubt it. I have the 4cyl, 5speed, because I couldn't afford the V6. The 5 speed has plenty of power for me, and the fuel economy is much better. Now the automatic, that's a different story. No way would I own an automatic 4cyl.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:19 PM

I'm wagering that they'll dump the 2.4 and intro the 2.7 as the base engine with some version of VVTi to improve the mpg's for the budget people. But there's defnitlee no way the 4cyl gets dropped completely.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by RebuiltRunner
I'm wagering that they'll dump the 2.4 and intro the 2.7 as the base engine with some version of VVTi to improve the mpg's for the budget people. But there's defnitlee no way the 4cyl gets dropped completely.
I agree... My guess is they'll continue to offer a (higher-displacement) 4-cylinder on the base model. That would give 'em something as relatively underpowered but economical as the base model Tundra V6.

Then again, we don't have any info (yet) to give us clues on the '05 Tacoma's weight. We know how much 'bigger' it is, but not how much 'heftier'... If there's anything that would make 'em drop the 4-banger it's too much weight after the upsizing...
Old 02-11-2004, 03:55 PM

That would be a neat trick since they have different dimensions and the Tacoma is based on the 4Runner which has is already a year old and built in Japan.
I dunno, that rumor doesn't make any sense

Quick Reply: 2005 Tacoma pics