03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

2003 4Runner V6, valve lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing is going to make 4Runner=Jeep GC, even my clicking engine on top of faulty radio. I have seen brand new Jeep GC with modern 4.0L few days ago very close and it blows. Paint has grain to it like an orange skin, to engage 4x4 you have to pull the hell out of that manual lever before it goes in and those not painted plastic bumpers are killer for $27+K! Way to spend 14 miles per gallon Chrysler lovers

Tomorrow I will get to that engine compartment of mine and who knows maybe clicking deamons will go away.

P.S. even if it does come to having Toyota buy my truck back, I will most likely purchase another one just like that after more careful test driving though I am sure not too many Chrysler owners would do the same with Chrysler in situation like that.

Last edited by Mish; 07-25-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:00 PM

Re: hey Mish

You can read it from the bottom of this page where this guy quoted many of you (including me too!) and Mish's radio problems He gets alot of mileage out of mish's valve noise too

4Runner vs. Jeep GC on edmunds.com

Originally posted by EDGE
Lets get a link to this interesting conversation, what could they be saying that Toyota has a brand new engine with a weird/loud noise that only a handful of customers are having a problem with, oh they got us but their Jeeps are only good for 30k before they start to self destruct

I think their selling JGC with Hemi's now, gotta do something cause the design is so old before it becomes a Mercedes M Class twin with Chrysler engines
Old 07-25-2003, 07:37 PM

Wow, this tloke sounds pretty defensive. He's quick to snap when someone refutes his claims. It sounds like he is trying to justify his heep purchase. I mean, he trolls the Yota boards to find any problem he can. I guess since impulse's window got broken out, that's another problem with the Runner, eh? He's very annoying, I won't waste my time responding to him in that thread. Whoever is though, keep up the good work.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:01 AM
Contributing Member

Hey, Heep Peep!

Hey, Heep Peep,

No wrong minded criminal would break into a Heep, let alone steal one.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn those guys have 2 much time on their hands, that list is long.

Fighting with Heep owners is like fighting with kids you have to let them win, later in life they will realize they where wrong
Old 07-26-2003, 12:13 PM

Anyways, aside from our penis measurement contest with Jeep owners, I just came back from garage after playing with that rattle.

Noise is not related to spark plug, or exhaust manifold leaks, I checked by pulling plugs and checking thread burn and tried to disconnect ignition on one by one plug on the left bank, noise stays. Also tried to see if it is accessory replated and it is not, belt removal did nothing. That actually proves that my Toyota dealership is a moron for doing that TSB on my belt and pulleys, trying to fix rattle, without simply troubleshooting first it is has anything to do with the belt.

At this point I believe that click is actually internal issue, possibly has to do with the chain silenser, or guide of some sort. Also possible that it is something on the bottom, because rattle is very loud under the truck, sligtly less on the left and very quiet on the right side.

Now I have escalated my issue to the higher level and some engineer, or other type of Toyota Jedi knight is going to call me on Tuesday (supposedly). I am one invoice short from returning truck under the lemon law if they don't do something helpful this time for a change
Old 07-26-2003, 12:29 PM

Man, good luck. Keep us updated.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Mish
That actually proves that my Toyota dealership is a moron for doing that TSB on my belt and pulleys, trying to fix rattle, without simply troubleshooting first it is has anything to do with the belt.

At this point I believe that click is actually internal issue, possibly has to do with the chain silenser, or guide of some sort. Also possible that it is something on the bottom, because rattle is very loud under the truck, sligtly less on the left and very quiet on the right side.

Now I have escalated my issue to the higher level and some engineer, or other type of Toyota Jedi knight is going to call me on Tuesday (supposedly). I am one invoice short from returning truck under the lemon law if they don't do something helpful this time for a change
Im not gonna call the tech morons, now if it was a 3rd Gen 4Runner that had a problem yes but the 4th Gen V6 is brand new and I bet the guys don't have a clue to what their doing when you bring it in, their job is to replace stuff and see if that fixes it seriously

You probably could have told yourself from the beginning that it was an internal noise but you never know, did you ever think of puttin in thicker oil, maybe a 20w50, the thicker oil might deaden the sound, or what if you threw in some STP or other similar ˟˟˟˟.

If a Toy engineer comes and looks at it and says it has a prolem ask him to trade it with a new one but only after an extensive test drive like 1500 miles

I thought someone said Toyota was making new exhaust manifolds to quiet down the V6 cause of the rattle/clicking.

I've heard some V6 4Runners and they do click loudly but nothin that was bad, how much louder is yours compared to another and whats your mileage and did the noise increase as the mileage went on.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:41 PM

I thought someone said Toyota was making new exhaust manifolds to quiet down the V6 cause of the rattle/clicking.

Actually that was from me. I'm sorry I asked since that Jeep retard quoted me but the rattling was when I accelerated.
Mish said it was normal and they are making thicker headers iin the future to deaden the noise.
It doesn't relate to what Mish is going through now, though.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:56 PM

Im not gonna call the tech morons, now if it was a 3rd Gen 4Runner that had a problem yes but the 4th Gen V6 is brand new and I bet the guys don't have a clue to what their doing when you bring it in, their job is to replace stuff and see if that fixes it seriously

You probably could have told yourself from the beginning that it was an internal noise but you never know, did you ever think of puttin in thicker oil, maybe a 20w50, the thicker oil might deaden the sound, or what if you threw in some STP or other similar ˟˟˟˟.

If a Toy engineer comes and looks at it and says it has a prolem ask him to trade it with a new one but only after an extensive test drive like 1500 miles

I've heard some V6 4Runners and they do click loudly but nothin that was bad, how much louder is yours compared to another and whats your mileage and did the noise increase as the mileage went on.
Noise has nothignt o do with oil, engine should run on 5W30 as designed, or it is faulty. Another V6 at the dealership sounded like lexus, no rattle, nothing besides healthy motor sound.

Truck has 2K miles now and at first it would only click on cold motor and than in would go away after 10-15 min, now it clicks all the time, so I am sure it is not manifolds, or exhause, it is internal metallic banging against something, maybe chain related, maybe something else.
At first
Old 07-26-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Mish
Noise has nothignt o do with oil, engine should run on 5W30 as designed, or it is faulty. Another V6 at the dealership sounded like lexus, no rattle, nothing besides healthy motor sound.

Truck has 2K miles now and at first it would only click on cold motor and than in would go away after 10-15 min, now it clicks all the time, so I am sure it is not manifolds, or exhause, it is internal metallic banging against something, maybe chain related, maybe something else.
At first
Yeah but sometimes thicker oils or additives can cover it up like excedrine, the headache is still their but you covered it up

With 2k on the truck the dealership should just swap a truck with you, their probably concerned that they could not resell it

I hope all works out for you and if you have to go the LL route, when I signed the papers for my 4Runner and ES300 both Toy and Lexus had me sign papers saying it is possible you could have a lemon and in a case like that they will work with me to alleviate the problem or give me a new unit, did you sign those papers
Old 07-26-2003, 01:48 PM

These papers are standard in accordance with consumer protection laws, I did sign those as well. It makes no difference to me, because I will not go through their arbitration process, I will use my own attorney, who helped me before and took care of my friend's RAV4 when it kept making brake noise after 4 attempts to get fixed. A guess I should stick to my original project of buying used ML430, because there is no such thing "as good as Mercedes"
Old 07-26-2003, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Mish, I hope you get your rig fixed. It sounds like it might be limited to a certain production run if you heard another quiet one at the dealership. Or maybe it was a Sunday Morning truck (Monday Morning in Japan)!

I don't know how it works in Ohio, but in my state LL will apply after four attempts to repair the SAME problem. In other words, counting total number of RO's won't help unless they're all related to the same problem code.

It sounds like the dealer wanted to start with all TSB's complied with before troubleshooting further. The factory wonks would ask them to before coming out anyway.

Lastly, PLEASE DON'T TOUCH YOUR ENGINE! It could backfire (so to speak) and someone at Toyota might say that you caused the problem. It might wind up difficult to prove otherwise. Wait out the dealer/factory repair attempts before proceeding to arbitration or another process.

Nice TR there!
Old 07-26-2003, 02:44 PM

Thank you. Exhaust itself on this thing was $14K, we pulled transmission back in order to replace clutch and all that on 9K miles Ferrari
Our lemon law says, 3 attempts to fix the same thing and it still fails, or 8 repair orders in 6 months, or 8K miles. I will have 7 after they replace second radio on this thing, cos now my FM does not work, however CD does not skip anymore at all! I guess those Afghani made radios ar not what they used to be anymore

I want to keep the truck, I like it, so if they offer to replace it I will most likely agree, however I have that feeling that they will try to act like a$$holes until my attorney kicks in.

Forget 4Runner, I am tire of dealing with it. Now I am into watching Star Wars on HBO!

Last edited by Mish; 07-26-2003 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:13 PM

Now I see what the problem is! Mish, your truck isn't making sounds and your CD player isn't broken. Your ears are shot from that huge movie-plex in your house and your brain is fried from staring at that RED wall all day!!
Old 07-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Have you thought of purchasing a Mitsubishi SUV?

Sorry to read of all your troubles. I agree with above statement, don't touch or amend your vehicle in any way. Like the back of your computer states, "remove or tamper voids all warranty." Let the Toy umpa-lumpa's play with fixing/resolving this unacceptable problem. If they don't fix it to your satisfaction, the least I would accept is an even swap-out. And then use a different dealer for future, hopefully none, maintenance work. BTW, I wouldn't use a different oil weight or additive, that too could spell to the Toyota stiffs.

To give you hope, if you swap out, my vehicle has run like a swiss watch since day one. You just are experiencing a first year lemon...I empathize.

Good set-up and flick.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:39 PM

Soothing red is good for my walls, it keeps human blood invisible
Old 07-28-2003, 10:57 AM

Some lady from Toyota HQ just called me asking all questions related to the engine noise and remedy attempts taken. Now she is going to doublecheck what dealer has to lie about it and call me back
Sound got actually louder and now it is all the time on the cold or warm motor.
Besides that, as it was mentioned earlier, I do like the truck and would most likely buy another one, but only V8, since V6 seems a bit flaky for now.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

If given a chance...the V8 is sweet! Vrrrroooooom
Old 07-29-2003, 12:44 PM

The more I listen to this, the more it sounds like it's coming from the lower half of the motor... ...or maybe even the trans. I was underneath after changing the oil, and really sounds like bottom alittle louder towards the driver's side.

Any of you shade tree mechanics explain what this might be vise the valves????

My moonroof rattles louder than the tapping.... Anyone else have a rattle from the moonroof? I can make it stop if I push on the headliner edge towards back of moonroof, but can't isolate it when trying to determine what the hell is rattling. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Quick Reply: 2003 4Runner V6, valve lifter noise